that moment when you lose control

Options
gizmosmom02
gizmosmom02 Posts: 29 Member
Do you know what I mean? I have good intentions and strategies to manage myself during those tempting times, but when it comes, it's as if I become unconscious. Nothing keeps me from me and my sweets!

I think if I can just stay with reality, I might be able to talk myself down, but it really does seem like a psychological "break".

Replies

• tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that particular break this time around. I have found substitutes. Like chocolate with stevia or fruit with whipped cream and stevia..... Stevia is my friend, although sometimes I don't like the taste. Dark chocolate , at least 80% has a lot less sugar. And the plan a few times a year when you will just have what you want.
  • Zumba_Luvah
    Zumba_Luvah Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Ugh i know exactly what you mean. I know what i can do to help with cravings, but its like my brain forgets it when those cravings hit. I do great throughout the day. But come 8:00 at night, all my exercise and eating well was basically for nothing since i eat anything sweet in the house.
  • Cec3302
    Cec3302 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am going through this right now. I am a nanny and they have so many sweets in the house and especially after the kids have gone to bed/napping/playing outside I go crazy with all the sweets (chocolate, cookies etc). I think for me right now my wedding is a month away and I am majorly stress eating. Luckily the family goes away Wednesday for 2 weeks so I will be away from all the temptations and hopefully can get back on track and lose the weight I have started to put back on.
  • pam3b
    pam3b Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Totally relate :(
    The sad part is that I don't know how to control it, I know I am not suppose to but it just takes over me.
  • annsatterthwaite
    annsatterthwaite Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this for years and am working to come up with various ways to get past the "crack craving" like need to eat junk.
      First and foremost seems to be to go to bed earlier. When I am up late, I start getting hungry, and my will power is tired. I eat anything and everything. I also sleep better on an empty stomach. Secondly is to drink something non-caloric. Most of the time, I'm just thirsty and think I'm hungry. Third is to distract oneself with something absorbing: "I'll get up and get something after I do this crossword/Sudoku/read this chapter". By the time I'm finished, the craving has passed. Fourth is to keep temptations out of sight. When my teenagers make cookies, I ask them to put them out of sight when they finish. Also, if I run into TV ads or print ads of food, I look away. I'm amazed at how much a trigger the sight of food is in the evening when my willpower is tired. These are all suggestions that dieticians have given me as well. I'm told that with four weeks' of fighting off cravings, and using working solutions, the cravings decrease a lot and the new habits are made. Don't be too discouraged. I always try to give myself grace that it would have been worse if I had binged on junk and hadn't watched what I ate all day, but it does have the effect of feeling like your whole day's effort is shot.
  • msfoxy_25
    msfoxy_25 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    YES!! I make a healthy meal plan. I try to do everything right but when it hits, when it takes over nothing else exist. Just me and food. Hurricane? Tsunami? flood? House fire? It can wait, I need to eat right now. Nothing like loading your pockets with food at work and sneaking off to the bathroom to get your fix.
  • Sherryfood95
    Sherryfood95 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I finally figured out chocolate triggers me. I can only have a little so thought that square of dark chocolate was fine, but then I want more and since I have to limit it end up moving on to other carbs. I cut out the chocolate and am doing better. Honestly, any treat (just a taste) is a trip down a slippery slope for me.
  • Jad31te
    Jad31te Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It is completely psychological, If you are squeamish please " STOP" reading now. I could give you guys an example.. what worked for me. Replacing a positive candy image with a very neg one. When I get tempted, it takes one trip to youtube to cure my impulsion. You can find lots of crazy images. The one that works the best for me is the girl who finds living maggots in her peanut butter cup. Was the most disgusting thing I ever saw, and it works for me in extreme cases.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I finally figured out chocolate triggers me. I can only have a little so thought that square of dark chocolate was fine, but then I want more and since I have to limit it end up moving on to other carbs. I cut out the chocolate and am doing better. Honestly, any treat (just a taste) is a trip down a slippery slope for me.

Totally with you there. I have stopped eating processed sugar and flour. And I don't eat artificial sweeteners anyway. Just a little honey. I feel a lot better, and cravings are slightly less, and I have not eaten on auto pilot since I cut those two things out. Problem is those two things seem to be in everything under lots of different names. Very annoying!!!!!! In about 15 days I plan to slowly start adding some foods back to my meals to see how my body reacts.
  • vloach
    vloach Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have such a hard time stopping myself when my brain and my taste buds disconnect. It just happened. Walked over to Burger King and killed a large fries for no reason.

I struggle knowing how to even eat healthy anymore, I am so used to periods of eating whatever I want and then periods of juice cleansing or fasting. I don't think I can go forward in this journey to lose all this weight until I learn what it means to eat properly.
    This is my first time trying to commit to writing things down on MFP and every time it's red and I've gone over it discourages me and makes me feel ashamed, which makes me give up all the hard work and torment I put my body through. So tired of being all talk and no action. I want to lose over 50 pounds and I have for a long long time.

Sorry for ranting! I'm new to MFP and just trying to reach out to people who understand. If you do, add me as a friend! I'm super nice, just have a bad relationship with food.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    vloach wrote: »
    I have such a hard time stopping myself when my brain and my taste buds disconnect. It just happened. Walked over to Burger King and killed a large fries for no reason.

I struggle knowing how to even eat healthy anymore, I am so used to periods of eating whatever I want and then periods of juice cleansing or fasting. I don't think I can go forward in this journey to lose all this weight until I learn what it means to eat properly.
    This is my first time trying to commit to writing things down on MFP and every time it's red and I've gone over it discourages me and makes me feel ashamed, which makes me give up all the hard work and torment I put my body through. So tired of being all talk and no action. I want to lose over 50 pounds and I have for a long long time.

Sorry for ranting! I'm new to MFP and just trying to reach out to people who understand. If you do, add me as a friend! I'm super nice, just have a bad relationship with food.

If rants helps- do it!!! We all fighting the good fight to achieve our individual goals. It is hard, very, very hard sometimes. Food is everywhere- you can't escape it, or just stop eating. Have you thought about writing down all the healthy foods and snacks you like and planning a few days in advanced including logging, food prep and cooking? I had to do that in the beginning because I would get so overwhelmed with food prep I would just give up and make a poor choice. I have also used a lot of positive thinking and have had to change a lot of bad mindsets.
  • Dlane72
    Dlane72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So true, furitydelicious! "Food is everywhere!" And I heard it pointed out this week that, unlike other addictions, this one your body HAS TO HAVE 3 times a day. Which makes it even harder to deal with!

I'm finding that losing weight is like being on a tightrope every day...balance balance balance!
  • gizmosmom02
    gizmosmom02 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Jad31te I really like that idea. I am going to try it. (If I can keep control when the food monster hits.)
    And fruitydelicious, I'm right with you - I have to cut out sugars. (sooooo hard!)