Question about steps

Options
natmax24
natmax24 Posts: 4 Member
I just got my UP Move and I'm loving it so far- just trying to understand it.

I've walked over 5,000 steps so far today according to it and it says I have only burned 82 calories on MFP. When I used to track my steps using MFP and my phone it said my calorie burn was much higher. Can someone explain this sync to me?

I'm struggling to understand how the UP tracks calories differently from MFP.

Thanks!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Adjustments are the difference between your UP total burn (which is TDEE) and your MFP activity level. Click on the adjustment in your diary to see the math MFP used to calculate it.

And enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, or you'll never eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your activity level.
  • natmax24
    Options
    Thanks so much!

I have another question- why did I wake up as have calories already burned? And if I'm exercising and wearing it, it will count the steps but when I enter the exercise I did will it take off the step calories? If that makes sense...
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    natmax24 wrote: »
    Why did I wake up as have calories already burned? And if I'm exercising and wearing it, it will count the steps but when I enter the exercise I did will it take off the step calories?

Your UP total burn is TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), the calories necessary to maintain your current weight. You burn calories just being alive—pumping blood, breathing, digesting, etc.

Do not log any step-based activity—your UP is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in UP (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both. Exercise logged in MFP overwrites your UP burn during that time.
  • natmax24
    Options
    So if I go for a run I should log that and it will minus the steps during that time- correct?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Do not log any step-based activity—including running, walking, dancing, housework, gardening…
  • Mesemom
    Mesemom Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Is enabling negative calories something that's now limited to the premium version of MFP? I could have sworn I did that when I started using MFP + Up24, but now I can't find the setting at all, to double-check. Is it in the premium-only "exercise calories" setting in the diary settings?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Negative calorie adjustments are only visible to those with an activity tracker connected to their account: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

If you don't see it, verify your accounts are connected at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/97
  • mchiareli
    mchiareli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have my UP sync with MFP and RunKeeper, runkeeper post my runnings on UP as a workout, why MFP does not get these exercises created by RunKeeper on UP app as an Exercise?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Runkeeper & Endomondo are owned by the same company as MFP (Under Armour), so they post to the MFP newsfeed. Other companies (including UP & Fitbit) do not.