Workout Check-in - Making fireworks in July!

Options

Replies

• coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was on Workout B today:

Squats, 5x5@85 lbs. I moved up this week, these felt pretty good but starting to get difficult again. I will stay here on Thursday.

OHP, 4x5 and 1x4@50 lbs. I attempted 55 lbs, got three reps up, and knew it was a no-go, so I dropped back down to 50 lbs. Still couldn't get that 25th rep up :-/

Deadlift, 2x5@90 lbs. Since I'm only going up 5 lbs at a time on these, I do like to add an extra set when I can.

Good mornings, 3x10@50 lbs, a few lunges and calf raises for accessories. I need start adding upper body accessory work, I think. Maybe that will help with my OHP/bench.

Finished up with an hour of cardio.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Cardio Morning: 2 mile jog with walking warm up and cool down. It was cooler outside this morning so didn't have as much heat as last time though also went before 7:30 and that helped too. Lifting will be later tonight.
  • tiffanyhowland
    tiffanyhowland Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been stalking but wanted to jump in here since it's still early in July and would like a place to share my progress. I started the program about 4 weeks ago, this is my 5th week. I lift with my husband who started the program at the same time.

Yesterday I was at Workout A:
    Squats: 105 pounds (starting to get really heavy, thinking it's going to slow down soon)
    Bench: 75 pounds (hard on my torn rotator cuff but we're still going strong)
    Row: 95 pounds (this was rough, I'm going to take the advance but probably stay at the 100 for a bit)
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi @Jackie0Marie! Welcome!

Stronglifts A

Squats 5 x 5 @ 175 lbs.

BP 5 × 5 @ 67 lbs

Row 3 x 5 @ 76 lbs. Rows are not my friend so I'm going 3 x5

Accessories

Tricep dips 3 x 5 @ BW + 5 lbs.

Planks 3 @ 60 seconds

40 minutes of Zumba
  • Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Cardio day. :-1: Walked at 4mph for 35 minutes. Went to drop stuff off at the library. I hate cardio so combining it with a must do errand worked for me. Lol
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. It's been a week since I last posted due to my neck problems. I have a feeling it's the bent over rows that's been bothering my neck so had to rest last week. I'm seeing the chiropractor this Thursday and hoping to get some relief. Meanwhile, I was feeling guilty about not working out so off to the gym I went. I decided to keep it easy and de-load by about 15 percent but increase reps.

Today's workout:

Squats: 5x8@125 lbs. Felt good even though the quads were tight the first rep.
    Bench Press: 5x8@ 75 lbs. Felt good although I didn't want to go to deep because ofmy neck/trapezoids.
    Rows: 5x8@75 lbs. These felt good too but had to deload just in case my neck started bothering me. I think this is the one exercise that cause all the problems.

dips: 2X8
    jump squats: 40 in a row (gym challenge of the day)
    run: 15 minute run 6.0 mph. - kind of missing the cardio. I need to find a half marathon to train for.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new women interested in throwing around some weights!

@canadianlbs That's not a bad idea. I'll have to try that to see where I am failing.

Today's Workout:
    95 lbs: Deloaded on Squats today and it felt great. Don't be afraid to deload!
    OHP: 55lbs 5/5/4/4/5! I somehow managed 55 lbs today and only missed two!
    Deadlift: 2x115. Two sets because I just felt like it.

Accessories: Assisted Dips - 46 lbs, Lunges: 40 lbs

I was going to go for a long walk with the dog, but it is soo hot and muggy out that I don't feel like venturing back out of the AC.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Good workout today, and finally getting back on track. Still working back up from my deload, but getting close.

First, I figured out why my pull up was easier at the playground than the gym. I have been doing them on the assisted machine with the pad down because the only pull up bar is on the cable machine which is often in use. Today I noticed that the handles on the pull up machine are much wider than my more neutral grip.

Anyhew...

3x1 pull ups...3 sets of 1 with about 90 seconds rest between. If I can get the bar, I am going to try two in a row next time :)

Squat - 3x5 at 145 lbs. Almost stayed at 140, but decided at the last minute just to go for it. Form probably could have been better, so I will repeat here.

Bench - 3x5 at 70 lbs - felt fine.

Row - 3x5 at 75 lbs. Felt hard :(

Barbell shrug - 3x8 at 55 lbs
    Skullcrushers - 3x8 at 40 lbs - still hard!
    Barbell curls - 3x8 at 40 lbs - challenging but good.
    Hip thrusts - 3x10 at 60 lbs - holy crap. First time doing them and I hope I can walk ok tomorrow.
    Hyperextensions - 3x10 with 15 lbs.
    Cable crunches - 3x10 at 50 lbs - still very hard :(

Good workout overall! Happy with my pull up progress, and my legs felt wobbly leaving the gym, so I guess that is good!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    workout a. this was a good one and i feel pretty happy.

squats: 75. yay. fingers crossed on form. i know i found a muscle pattern that my body remembers like an old friend from last year. WAY more hamstring oddly enough, but total concentration on almost pulling myself down into the hole with them, and it sure was a wakeup call for some of the posterior chain. hope hope hope and we'll see how it goes.

bench: 65. also yay, considering it's been a few weeks since i benched. no problems with 65lbs at all, but i wanted to keep it below my rows weight so i stayed there. i still actually like bench press.

rows: 70. happy with this too since i haven't rowed in a while either. same weight as last time but they felt good. took me a few sets to find that narrow little form groove that makes them feel easy, but i did get it on a few of the sets.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Sooooo cold in my shed tonight!! The barbell left a huge red mark and I could see fog in my breath as I lifted brrrrrr!!

Squat 5x5x160lbs
    OHP 5x5x70lbs was a deload
    Deadlift 1x5x210lbs 1x3x230lbs

Superset 5x5
    Latpulldowns 105lbs
    Dumbbell row
    Overhead thrust thing with dumbbell
    Dumbbell bench press
    Arnold press
    Jackknife into push-ups

Ouch

Def rest week next week
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Workout B this morning (my 2nd day). Everyone must be back from vacation because there were more people in the gym. The start of this program can definitely make you feel inattiquate when you look around at what others are putting up, but at the same time it makes me look forward to progress.
    Regardless of what others are doing I am liking the program a lot. :)
  • Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Workout A

Squats 5x5: 90lbs
    BP: 5x5 : 55lbs
    Row: 5x5: 55lbs

Skullcrushers 1x8 1x7: 22.5lbs wimpy wimpy wimpy triceps! Lol
    Modified pull ups 1x8 1x6 1x4: bw
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I'm a little sore from yesterday's workout of more reps/ less weight. It's a good sore though and my neck is feeling okay for now. Today's workout was a 4.5 mile run, gym challenge of a 1 minute wall sit, and a 1 minute plank.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been out a few weeks after buggering my lower back on yoga (man it confused people I got hurt in yoga instead of lifting!). I've been feeling good for about a week now and decided to give lifting a try with light weight to see how I feel. It went alright though a little stiff in the back. Maybe next week I'll open up the app and see what my deload is going to look like.

1x20 45lb, 5x5 95lb squats
    1x15 30lb, 3x5 55lb OHP

+ Whole lot of air squats and a round of stationary bike. I really want to start lifting again. Stationary bike is the most boring crap ever to me.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Workout A yesterday.

Squats 5x5 at 160#. Man, squats are feeling good.
    Bench 5/5/5/5/3 at 115#. Yay, third failure. Back to 100# next time. So, I'm really frustrated with my bench press. I was banging it out and was at 120#. I took one week off and deloaded to 115# to give myself a little breathing room. Now, I've failed it three times and have to deload back to 100. WHY oh why?! I took only a week off and my bench went to crap. :angry:
    Row 5x5 at 95#.

Added some upright rows at 3x5 at 75#.

So, minus the squats, I'm growing bored of SL. Don't get me wrong, I like the program, but I'm feeling like everything is just blah and grindy at the moment. I'm actually probably going to stick with it for 2 more weeks, then change programs at the end of the month. I would change sooner, but I don't want to add anything new before my tri. I'll ride it out until then, and then I'll change to something else.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Arf, so today was a bit of a wake-up call as facebook showed me a picture of me, 2 years ago. I wasn't quite as strong then, but I actually was lighter and looked slimmer than I do now (and kinda happier). I workout hard, but I'm not seeing results because i'm being an idiot with food. This stops now.

Missed reporting my tuesday workout. Worked up to a front squat 1rm (165, I failed at 170) and a 3rm deadlift (240), then I did the deadlift of doom grinder session -- which reminded me I made the same mistake last year: I can mix and match my finishers/conditioning sessions at will with this phase. I don't know why I didn't realize 90% 1rm singles after maxing out on triples would be a good idea.

- 1 deadlift @ 90% of 1rm (should've been 240. Started at 235, did 2 rounds, went down to 225 for 1, 215 for the rest)
    - following were + 1 rep per round:
    - 1 dip with red band assist
    - 1 box jump (18 inches box -- was scared to use the wooden boxes)
    - 1 knees to bows

Made it to 7 rounds and I think 6 dips? Don't remember exactly...

Then today was the snatch workout from hell (all timed, too)

0-10 minutes; work up to heavy power snatch + oh squat (made it to 95 after a miss)

10-25 minutes: 3 rounds for time (or as much as possible)
    - 200 jump rope singles
    - 15 KB American Swings (20kg)
    - 10 squat clean thrusters (67.5lbs)
    - 5 Pull-ups (did 1 round with knee in, 1 with foot in all my bands)

Made it through 2 rounds and 7 swings. I stumbled a lto on my rope. My old one worked better. I need a new one. Stupid jump ropes

25-30: rest (thank lawd)

30-45 minutes: 6 rounds (or AMAP) for time

- power snatch + OH squat x5 with 70-75% of the heavy rep. I had 67.5 loaded up so I stayed at that
    - burpee over bar x 10 (did 2 round facing and 3 rounds side)

Made it to 5 rounds, somehow. That last burpee actually came after time but eff this I'm counting it. I wanted to crumble down to the floor, throw up, or die right there. That was 15 minutes of straight up hell xD

Running a 5k on Saturday, so from now on it's rest and mobility work ;)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Squat 1 day
    135 lbs x5 150 lbs x 3, 165 lbs x 2 (ish)
    I looked at the video and at first I thought I got depth but now I don't think I did, but I almost got stuck, panicked then stood up so I'm going to count it.
    5x8 95 lbs. And I'll go for a longer, slow run at lunch
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    @krokador - Have to admit: every time I see your workouts in the forum, all I see is how awesome you are. :wink: Have fun at your 5k.

I'm sort of back to SL but with some accessories while I hem and haw over options. I was actually going to do 3x5 instead but ended up doing 5x5 today. Happy to have flat bench back in program and I almost missed doing pendlay rows, lol.

Workout A

high bar squat 5x5 @ 135 - not bad, will move up from here next time I do high bar. I'm doing high bar, front and low bar.
    bench press 5x5 @ 85 - okay but tad tough at times, still might try 90 next time.
    p-row 5x5 @ 95 - tad tough but I stacked 3 plates this time so worked out a decent height at least.

Accessories:
    lat pulldown 3x8 @ 60 - easy enough
    db shoulder press 3x8 @ 17.5 - fine too
    bicep curl 3x8 @ 30 - okay here

Not sure on the accessories quite yet and we'll see how doing arm/shoulders on freight day goes once I get to work. Had trainer at gym do body fat test, this time with the calipers, but it was after my workout as they were all busy before. It came out at about 29.5% ish with obvious skew potential. I am meeting with her on monday, non-lifting day, to check it then and discuss some things. She is into both lifting and running so it should be interesting.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    workout b. i was dee termined to get up and do the morning workout, i.e. be at the door when they cracked it at 6 am. and that meant that i got up at 4:30 after a very unrestful night. die in a fire, mosquitos.

anyway. pitiful me. but i will say something for the am slot. nobody else seems like they use the rack before noon, so i had it allll to myself. just kind of wish i'd made better use of it.

squat 75, terrible form.
    ohp 50, anti-terrible form. i think 50 is here to stay in my world but MAN overhead press wears you out. i was breathing harder at the end of those sets than i ever do after squats or deadlift.
    speaking of. dl one . . . twenty or twenty-five. i completely forget. after all that i got on my bike, rode to work and made it through a whole day. but i'm completely gassed out. the ride home was a slow motion extravaganza.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Squats: 100 lbs - Going to stay here. Form was ok.
    Bench Press: 65 lbs - Feels good, but not sure I could do 70 lbs.
    Rows: 80 lbs. Going to stay here one more time then move up.

Step ups, dips, and hip thrusts.