New to Keto and Board

Options
ms6102
ms6102 Posts: 9 Member
Hello All,
Im new to this discussion board, and I'm trying Keto for the second time around. I was trying carb cycling but, the food cravings were awful. So, now am back to this wonderful lifestyle of low carb, moderate protein, and Tons of FAT. I've been doing a ton of research and even read some books. But, I'm sure I could learn so much more from others.

I'm currently researching breakfast ideas? Do you have any Grab and Go, Keto Friendly Breakfast Ideas? I'm so burned out of boiled eggs, and bacon

Im researching Pintrest, Google, FB, and a Low Carb Bible Cookbook for ideas, but, I love Tried and True Recipes and suggestions. Thanks

Ebony

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I prefer the ease of my loaded tea (not a coffee drinker) for an "on the go" breakfast that keeps me full.

But otherwise, I do pepperoni and cheese, any dinner leftovers I wanted to eat, etc. If you can eat it, it's not restricted to a time of day!
  • ms6102
    ms6102 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your suggestions. I've been programmed to think breakfast means breakfast type food.

Do you have a reciepe for your loaded tea?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    My LOADED Tea
    NEWEST NOTES - I've started using a refillable K-Cup in the Keurig at work because the heat of the tea is perfect for the eggs (to kill the bacteria and such). So in the cup I use 2 tea bags of decaf, and 3 tea bags of lipton. I brew it through twice, 10 oz each. Altogether this makes 26-30 oz of tea, depending on whether I have to add more hot water to the last cup to warm it . Please please please holler if you have questions. I've heard of folks using chai tea and all kinds of stuff, too!

My loaded tea is a combination of the primal egg coffee recipe and bullet proof coffee, but with hot tea. I loathe coffee with a passion.

For those not used to coconut oil, please start slowly (no more than 1/2 TBSP-1 TBSP at first....) because it can lead to bathroom sprints and loose bowels. Acclimate slowly and you'll be able to up it. The heavy cream and coconut oil are to my personal tastes - you can increase or decrease. Also, a lot of folks making the traditional BPC use grassfed butter. I didn't like it at the time, but might try adding it to my egg version at some point...)

INGREDIENTS:
    3 tea bags (I just use Lipton out of convenience...I like it STRONG)
    12-16 oz super hot water to steep (See Keurig Note Above)
    dash pink himalayan salt (5-6 seconds on my battery grinder)
    2 raw whole eggs (sometimes I use 3 if using large instead of XL)
    2-4 TBSP of heavy whipping cream
    1-4 TBSP coconut oil
    3 sweetener packets (prefer stevia or a mix of stevia and splenda)

DIRECTIONS:
    Pour boiling/steaming water over tea bags to steep.
    Shake everything except the tea in a shaker bottle while the tea steeps.
    Once everything is well mixed/blended and tea is steeped, pour in 1/3 to 1/2 of the tea. Shake until you hear the coconut oil stop thumping (it's solid here until melted) and the temperature cools naturally from the combining hot and cold.
    Do this again until all the tea is mixed in.
    Then shake some more. Usually about 2-3 minutes of shaking because I don't have a stick or regular blender at work.

(When I do this now with the Keurig hot tea, the first 10 oz goes into the bottle with the shaken eggs, cream, and salt. Shaken till mixed, then add sweetener and CO, shake again. Split evenly between two bottles, top off each with the remainnig 10 oz of tea, half per bottle. Shake. Then I prefer to strain it as I pour it into my mug, as just shaking rather than blending leaves the toughest part of the whites intact - YUCK!)

NOTES: This yields a rich, creamy, custardy, decadent tea with lots of fuel for my body. It is SO filling, sometimes I can't finish it all. It leaves me full well up until lunch, and many times, even following with a light-calorie wise lunch, I'm not hungry until 7 or 8 pm... It is so AWESOME for me.... Simplifies breakfast, and the caffeine and coconut oil give me energy for hours!
    I have tried it with other flavors and such (vanilla, cinnamon, cocoa powder, chai tea - I don't like the tea bags I got), but the basic recipe is so great...

ADDED NOTE: This can also be done without the eggs. Salt is optional at that point. I find the eggs added makes me stay full longer, but a 150 - 200 calories snack with the tea would accomplish the same task, as 2 eggs are 140 calories, give or take.

Here are the links to the other related posts in my blog about my progression from just BP to primal to combining.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/bullet-proof-on-the-go-736094

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/primal-egg-coffee-tea-744092

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/my-loaded-tea-746518

Oh, and I'd forgotten - here is one I did on a diary snapshot of the last month or so for me:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/partial-diary-info-kinda-751856

Feel free to message with any questions.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I've had leftover burgers for breakfast - eggs/bacon, or just any old thing that strikes my fancy!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Haha Knit, I'm thinking the same thing, leftover burger with eggs!!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I go with Bulletproof Coffee for breakfast during the week (Coffee, 1 tbsp Kerrygold butter, 1 tbsp MCT Oil/Coconut Oil, pinch ground cinnamon, few drops liquid sucralose, blitzed in a blender until emulsified & creamy). I used to put a raw egg or 2 in it to try to alleviate hunger, but now im growing accustomed to the BPC i just tend to have that. It takes me through to dinner on busy days, and to lunch less busy days when im less distracted.

On the weekends i tend to go for bacon and fried eggs (in butter/coconut oil), sometimes with a Flax Bun (low carb bread substitute), maybe with Waldens Calorie-Free Pancake Syrup, or a bacon sandwich in a Flax Bun.

If not, scrambled egg with smoked salmon or ham would be good - with a bit of butter or cream in the eggs if you have the available calories/macros.
    Errm... Keto pancakes, Cream Cheese Crepes, Keto Waffles, leftovers from dinner as already suggested, Keto mug cake (dangerous for me - causes cravings), Omelette, breakfast burrito, lower carb sausages, burgers in an Oopsie roll or Flax Bun (or other keto bread substitute - theres loads), ham & cream cheese cigars with lettuce, hmm.. minds gone blank now. :) Ooh ooh, avocado &... something?! :smiley:
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    6 chocolate peanut butter fat bombs with some heavy whipping cream (I usually have this at least once a week for breakfast).

6 Maple Pecan Tahini candies (another fat bomb) with heavy whipping cream (likewise, have this at least once a week for breakfast). I do a lot of cooking on the week-ends and often have tons of options portioned out in the freezer.

1 piece of toasted LC Foods bread with 1 tablespoon of butter, 2 tablespoons of Challenge brand whipped cream cheese, 2 tablespoons LC Foods preserves and heavy whipping cream.

1/4 quest protein bar, 1 ounce sliced salami and 6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream.

1 ounce flavored nut mix (like rosemary garlic pistachios & almonds or maple mesquite pod walnuts or sesame teriyaki almonds & cashews, etc.), 1 ounce sea salt vinegar kale chips with heavy whipping cream.

to name just a few...
  • DixieCrab
    DixieCrab Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go with the standard mug of bullet proof coffee and am good for 6 - 8 hours. I have a 24 oz. mug to which I add 2 tablespoons each of Kerry Gold butter, coconut oil, and heavy whipping cream - blend it until frothy in my Ninja blender and yum, yum!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I tend to just have coffee with coconut cream, or heavy whipping cream, along with some protein powder, and I'm often good until 2:00 pm.

I do like breakfast sausage or scrambled eggs (often with salsa or spinach), so that tends to be my big breakfast.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I prefer the ease of my loaded tea (not a coffee drinker) for an "on the go" breakfast that keeps me full.

But otherwise, I do pepperoni and cheese, any dinner leftovers I wanted to eat, etc. If you can eat it, it's not restricted to a time of day!

What is "loaded tea"? I don't drink coffee either but I like my tea.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    6 chocolate peanut butter fat bombs with some heavy whipping cream (I usually have this at least once a week for breakfast).

6 Maple Pecan Tahini candies (another fat bomb) with heavy whipping cream (likewise, have this at least once a week for breakfast). I do a lot of cooking on the week-ends and often have tons of options portioned out in the freezer.

1 piece of toasted LC Foods bread with 1 tablespoon of butter, 2 tablespoons of Challenge brand whipped cream cheese, 2 tablespoons LC Foods preserves and heavy whipping cream.

1/4 quest protein bar, 1 ounce sliced salami and 6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream.

1 ounce flavored nut mix (like rosemary garlic pistachios & almonds or maple mesquite pod walnuts or sesame teriyaki almonds & cashews, etc.), 1 ounce sea salt vinegar kale chips with heavy whipping cream.

to name just a few...

You make me wish I could have dairy...

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

What is "loaded tea"? I don't drink coffee either but I like my tea.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/my-loaded-tea-746518

This is what I use for my loaded tea. You could easily use coconut milk, almond milk, etc. in place of the heavy cream. I don't remember if you can do eggs, but if not, you can use protein powder or hulled hemp seeds or something else. It may not add the same richness and emulsion, but it would still be a nice drink!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Yes. I eat eggs and butter. I just can't tolerate milk, cream, sour cream, ice cream, yogurt or cheese... All of the good stuff :(
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I used to have that problem, but the longer I eat this way, the more I can tolerate, though my reaction was more of a sinus/allergy reaction and not lactose intolerance.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I can't eat first thing in the morning so I take breakfast to work for a 9:30 or 10am snack/meal. I pre-cook bacon once a week and will pair it with keto pancakes (2oz. cream cheese, 2 eggs, 1tsp cinnamon, and sweetener of choice- I use 12 drops vanilla stevia, sweetleaf brand makes 4 pancakes) or a frittata or quiche dish or deviled eggs. Eggs just don't seem so boring when dressed up!