It shoulnt be this hard

Options
fit4life_73
fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
Its only been a week since I finished c25k. In my last week I ran 3 5ks. I took a few days off to rest. Last night I attempted to run 3 miles. I could barely do a mile straight. Feeling dissapointed, I finished with a walk/run for another mile. Today, my plan was to jog a mile and walk 1/4 and repeat 4 times. The first mile was fine. I struggled with the second and could only jog 1/4. So I alternated walk/run for another 2 miles.

I feel like 3 miles should come a little easier. I'll admit that I had to mentally talk myself through each run after the walk intervals stopped. Did I lose it that fast? When will my mind adjust to make it feel like less work. I know I can do because I finished c25k. But I want to like it. I want to look forward to it. For me weight loss is my motivating factor to run.

With that said I was wondering if i should go back to c25k because I feel like I can't "just go run" 3 miles on any given day.

I want to work on speed but the advice I get from this board is to rjn farther and speed will come. Im trying not to rush it.

Suggestions will be appreciated

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Seriously don't stress.
    You definitely haven't lost it that fast!

Bad runs happen for a myriad of reasons, everything from a bad nights sleep, to shoes being to tight, to wrong food eaten, different time of day to what you're used to, dehydration, over hydration, wrong clothes, too hot, too cold, too windy, not windy enough, gone out too fast, different route had a hill you weren't expecting, hell I think some days it comes down to whether or not you're holding your tongue on the left or right side of your mouth.
    Personally I could go out and run a ok HM nearly any day of the week (assuming I haven't hammered myself a day or two before) yet I still have runs where 1km is a struggle, not even 1 mile. Some runs I've pushed past this by using the old "I'll run to that lightpost and then I'll see how I feel." I read somewhere you shouldn't give up at the first thought, but at the 3rd, so that's generally what I'll do. Push myself to a lightpost/sign/etc, re-*kitten*, do that 3 times over in a row and if my head is still screaming to stop, then I'll stop. (Injuries and niggles a side)

You've got speed in your head, so it's entirely possible you went out too fast. Nothing wrong with going back to some of the C25K sessions if you think they'll help, though personally I'd move onto the B210K sessions if you need that interval breakup and a program telling you to do it. Some people need the support of a program to keep them going.

If you want a faster 5k, you really do need to get your endurance up to an easy 10k. Chasing speed too soon is the quick road to injuries.

3 miles will become easier with time, if you run it at an easy pace.
    Once you honestly believe you can do what you're trying to do (Whether it's 5k, 30k, or 1k intervals) and you learn how to pace yourself for what you're doing you'll be laughing.

• LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    @fit4life_73 - Are you running on the treadmill or outside? I remember you were trying to transition...not sure if this difficulty is related to that as well?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'd second the view that you're probably going out too hard. If you're using something like Endomondo or Runkeeper they can give you pace every 500 metres so that helps keep on top of it.
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    @fit4life_73 - Are you running on the treadmill or outside? I remember you were trying to transition...not sure if this difficulty is related to that as well?

I'm still on the treadmill. I figured I would transition to outdoors on my non-training days.

• fit4life_73
    Options
    @taeliesyn and @MeanderingMammal - I'm strictly using the treadmill for my training. I agree with everything @taeliesyn said about why bad runs happen. I'm definitely one of those people where all the stars have to align. The slightest thing can through me off my game.

I also did c25k by distance so I was trying to do that with b210k as well. Maybe I should focus on the time requirement at whatever speed is comfortable to complete the intervals.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I find a dreadmill so boring that I struggle to do more than about 10 minutes, yet out in the real I can do 2:30 quite comfortably.

IT may be that you're needing the motivation of a plan, rather than just running?
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal I agree about having a plan to follow. I don't mid the treadmill. My gym has a cardio theater and I also watch movies on my tablet while I'm running. Tomorrow I think I will just jump into the b210k by zen labs. Today will be a rest day. Thanks