Food insecurity as a kid

Options
whattheJKD
whattheJKD Posts: 24 Member

http://www.xojane.com/issues/food-insecurity-and-dieting
This. I constantly want sweets when I see them. In a grocery store I was/am always surprised at seeing kids ask their moms for treats at the checkout line. As kids, we never would have even thought to ask. This made me wonder about a connection to my food problems now and whether any of y'all with similar backgrounds and issues have had success with any "reframing" things you say to yourself to fight off the urge to binge, with this in mind?

Replies

• prettimandi
    prettimandi Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We did not have much food as a child, we were very poor. My step father was also always accusing me of having an eating disorder (his first wife lost a baby to anorexia) and would either force me to eat or hit me for eating when I wasn't supposed to. I remember hiding canned foods in my room to eat. As an adult it is hard for me to not think "I am finally alone, now I should eat" and then binge before anyone comes home. I do not know how to fix this mentality.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I was part of the midwest meat and potatoes clean your plate club, starving kids in other parts of the world, etc. I remember sitting all night at the table bc I refused to eat the overcooked mushy broccoli on my plate, then getting a huge spank as I was sent off to bed way past my bedtime.

I do put some of the blame on my family for my eating disorder issues, but I accept the fact that I have to deal with it and try to correct the situation on a daily basis.

But, even now, my mom keeps offering food, even after I've told her no. Then looks at me funny when I say I've lost 30 lbs and says "really, I can't tell".

No wonder I live 800 miles away from family and hardly ever interact with them anymore.