racers - how do you carry tubes/tools?

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
I lost my tools/bag during my last race, so I'm looking for a better setup. Assuming you're self-supported, how do you carry tools/tubes during a race?

This is what I had previously (though, I used a different bag)... the bag would fall out if it wasn't cinched in juuust right.
sonic_wing_main.jpg

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I don't need the rear bottle holder I run an Xlab mini bag that attaches to the rails. I have stuffed everything in an aero bottle on the frame. I've also put all my nutrition in my kit pockets and used my bento box for tube/tools.
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've seen people do the bento for the tools/tubes (and I think a few tri bike specific boxes have a separate compartment for each. A seasoned IM friend just sticks a tube and tools under his seat and tapes them in place. I think his theory is he's good for 1 change and if not it's just not meant to be (maybe he keeps a spare in special needs...I never really got down with his logistics). For training he has a regular saddle bag.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nothing so aerodynamic for me. i have a basic under the seat bag on my road bike.

i've seen some people load their tools and tubes in a cylinder that fits into a water bottle cage. that looks pretty cool, and you have the option of putting that on your seat tube, and carrying water bottles behind you and on your areo bars, or any number of combinations.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    While we're discussing carrying things, I prefer food from the Feed Zone Portables cookbook for training/racing. Nut butter cookies, banana rice balls, and the mochiko crispies are favorites. For training rides or up to half-iron distances, carrying them in a pocket or in a pouch on the top bar of the bike works fine. Since they are less dense and a little fragile, I could only fit enough for about half of the IM ride. Later aid stations only had Chomps which caused no problems, but were hard to get down. Suggestions for how to carry more food?
  • scott091501
    Options
    Put them in your special needs bag? I'm not really a fan of using real food for racing. I find that it's hard to get in the amount of cals/carbs/sodium that I need for the distance and it's hard to transport that amount of food.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    Options
    Special needs seems complicated. I've seen people rig something either behind the handlebars or behind the seat. Dense racing foods/gels play havoc with my digestive system. Having half of my nutrition come from fluids and the other half from sort-of real foods has been best. Nutrition has been a thorn in my side ever since I started doing races longer than sprints and since they don't appear during training regardless of what/when I eat, it's tough to practice for race day.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    friend of mine really likes dried fruit on long rides. probably a lot easier to carry and plenty of nutrients.

but everything i've read and personally experienced is that people tend to over eat on long course rides. if you have your bottles full of sports drink, and whatever real-food you can carry comfortably, i think you're probably more than covered in the nutrition department.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    While we're discussing carrying things, I prefer food from the Feed Zone Portables cookbook for training/racing. Nut butter cookies, banana rice balls, and the mochiko crispies are favorites. For training rides or up to half-iron distances, carrying them in a pocket or in a pouch on the top bar of the bike works fine. Since they are less dense and a little fragile, I could only fit enough for about half of the IM ride. Later aid stations only had Chomps which caused no problems, but were hard to get down. Suggestions for how to carry more food?

About the only real food I'd consider carrying is a PB&J and rice crispy treats. The PB&J is pretty calorie dense, so it makes sense (for me), but I typically rely on sports/energy foods as they have better sodium/caffeine levels and are generally MUCH easier to carry around.

I know some people make their own granola/energy bars so they can customize based on their needs. What about something like that?

Lastly, I think this is going to be an uphill battle if calorie-dense foods give you problems as you'll be limited by how much you can cram into a bento box and jersey pockets.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Special needs seems complicated. I've seen people rig something either behind the handlebars or behind the seat. Dense racing foods/gels play havoc with my digestive system. Having half of my nutrition come from fluids and the other half from sort-of real foods has been best. Nutrition has been a thorn in my side ever since I started doing races longer than sprints and since they don't appear during training regardless of what/when I eat, it's tough to practice for race day.

What's different between training and racing? Why do you have problems during one but not the other?
  • scott091501
    Options
    BTW to answer the original question I just got a Cobb JOF 55 saddle and it has the option for their own integrated rear hydration system. The platform is designed to carry a tool bag and keep it out of the wind.

cobbcycling.com/shop/accessories/rear-mount-water-system
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Nice. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, but that will work with a bottle as well.
  • scott091501
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Nice. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, but that will work with a bottle as well.

There are holes in the back so you can bolt your own cages on. You can run 1 straight back or 2 on the angles. Very versatile.
  • scott091501
    Options
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Very nice.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    Options
    What's different between training and racing? Why do you have problems during one but not the other?
    It's totally a nerves thing. For short races, I'm done before problems set in, typically somewhere around 40 miles into the bike. It's not particularly uncomfortable because I've just resolved that it's better to take a quick break than risk embarrassing accidents further down the line. On the other hand, I estimate I lost 10-15 min during IM Louisville which cost me my time goal.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

I have digestive issues during events that won't show up, no matter what, during training. I agree it's nerves. Mine's different in that I can't handle real food during an event. Or anything with potassium (bananas, Nuun, etc). I don't *feel* like my nerves are up, but apparently they are.