How Long Did It Take You To Plateau?

Options
Hey!

Just started my second week of this and I have a question. First here are my stats, I'm 4'11 and I started out at 141.6 lbs. Last week was awesome and I ended at 137.8 on Saturday. I have been keeping below 20g per day and exercising for 30 minutes every weekday morning doing cardio or weight training. I decided to skip my Friday workout and woke up to no weight loss on Saturday. I figured it might be because I skipped my workout and wasn't very active at work that day either so I went ahead and did 30 minutes of cardio on Saturday and worked night shift where I was very active all night (work in a hospital). Sunday when I woke up...still no loss. Yesterday I didn't drink nearly enough water and this morning weighed in at 138.6 so a little gain but I think it was because of my lack of water.

Wow this is getting long...anyway, my fiancé said that I'm probably plateauing but I think it's too early to already plateau in the second week? I have heard that you lose a lot in the beginning and then it slows down. Maybe it's because I'm so short and don't have THAT much to lose? Advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's not a plateau unless there is no loss for a month. Weight loss isn't linear. It won't go straight down. The body's job is to keep the status quo, so eventually it's going to pause, and say "wait a minute here!" It may pause for a week or 2 holding onto water until it decides it can live with these changes. It's common to get these pauses after the first couple weeks. Hormonal changes, TOM, sore muscles, solar flares. Ok that last one was a joke, but those cause us to hold onto water longer. I'm 7lb to goal and I regularly hold onto water weight for as much as 3 weeks at a time before I'll finally whoosh as much weight as I should have lost every week during that time. Remember that any diet tweaks you make won't instantaneously show results. It takes as much as 4 weeks to see the full spectrum of any diet changes.

Now, what if you "Keep Calm and LC On" and you do plateau? LC diets are awesome in that they help you eat less because they are satiating.. But you aren't immune from calories. It's possible to eat too much if you haven't learned proper hunger cues. Or to eat too little. I only counted carbs for the first 3mo. But stopped losing. As we lose weight our bodies require fewer calories. So I had to start keeping track of calories. We need to be aware of calorie or carb creep. Or even things you eat may begin to stall you, like alcohol, artificial sweeteners or too much dairy.

For now, stay the course. I know how hard it is to be patient. I've been doing this for over a year. Lots of testing of my patience! Consistency over time is what yields success. Remember to take measurements and look for changes in how your clothes fit. Often you will see these changes before the scale catches up.

For further elucidation on this topic, I'm sure others will respond, or you can check "Why the Scale is a Lying LiarPants" in the Launch Pad stickie. My laptop is fubarred so I can't really post you the link right now.

HTH
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yup, if you don't see a loss in 4 weeks then it's time to tweak. For now, keep your carbs to your predetermined max, calories to whatever MFP suggests for the amount you want to lose, and then just bed in and keep on going. Probably next week you will see the loss you were 'supposed' to have last week!
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    It is very like water retention caused by hormones. I have daily fluctuations. If it causes you concerns, maybe you can weigh less frequently. I've been eating keto a long time off and on. In 2009, I lost an average of 9.8 lbs a month. The graph went up and down. I lost a lot in the first week and then it tapered and bounced around. I've only been eating this way again a few weeks and am experiencing similar behavior.

Advice: stick with your plan, vary your food, and keep drinking lots of water. You'll do great!
  • CoinOperatedKitten
    CoinOperatedKitten Posts: 32 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @baconslave Thank you for such a great reply. I am keeping track of calories and using my Fitbit so we will see. I will definitely check out that thread too.

Love the name BTW!

• CoinOperatedKitten
    Options
    Yup, if you don't see a loss in 4 weeks then it's time to tweak. For now, keep your carbs to your predetermined max, calories to whatever MFP suggests for the amount you want to lose, and then just bed in and keep on going. Probably next week you will see the loss you were 'supposed' to have last week!

Thank you!

• CoinOperatedKitten
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    It is very like water retention caused by hormones. I have daily fluctuations. If it causes you concerns, maybe you can weigh less frequently. I've been eating keto a long time off and on. In 2009, I lost an average of 9.8 lbs a month. The graph went up and down. I lost a lot in the first week and then it tapered and bounced around. I've only been eating this way again a few weeks and am experiencing similar behavior.

Advice: stick with your plan, vary your food, and keep drinking lots of water. You'll do great!

Thank you! I think you are right about the water and hormones. I used to only weigh on Saturdays but when I started losing almost a pound a day I got excited and started checking every day.

• CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    It's not a plateau unless there is no loss for a month. Weight loss isn't linear. It won't go straight down. The body's job is to keep the status quo, so eventually it's going to pause, and say "wait a minute here!" It may pause for a week or 2 holding onto water until it decides it can live with these changes. It's common to get these pauses after the first couple weeks. Hormonal changes, TOM, sore muscles, solar flares. Ok that last one was a joke, but those cause us to hold onto water longer. I'm 7lb to goal and I regularly hold onto water weight for as much as 3 weeks at a time before I'll finally whoosh as much weight as I should have lost every week during that time. Remember that any diet tweaks you make won't instantaneously show results. It takes as much as 4 weeks to see the full spectrum of any diet changes.

Now, what if you "Keep Calm and LC On" and you do plateau? LC diets are awesome in that they help you eat less because they are satiating.. But you aren't immune from calories. It's possible to eat too much if you haven't learned proper hunger cues. Or to eat too little. I only counted carbs for the first 3mo. But stopped losing. As we lose weight our bodies require fewer calories. So I had to start keeping track of calories. We need to be aware of calorie or carb creep. Or even things you eat may begin to stall you, like alcohol, artificial sweeteners or too much dairy.

For now, stay the course. I know how hard it is to be patient. I've been doing this for over a year. Lots of testing of my patience! Consistency over time is what yields success. Remember to take measurements and look for changes in how your clothes fit. Often you will see these changes before the scale catches up.

For further elucidation on this topic, I'm sure others will respond, or you can check "Why the Scale is a Lying LiarPants" in the Launch Pad stickie. My laptop is fubarred so I can't really post you the link right now.

HTH

This^ x100.

Great post @baconslave !

• SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yup, unless you feel particularly like you want to, I suggest for the sake of not going mad, to weigh only once a week. I weigh on a Monday or Tuesday, and then if I stayed the same as the previous week, again on the Friday. Usually if I've stayed the same on the Monday I'll have dropped a pound by the Friday.