Cauliflower rice recipes?

Options
annalisbeth74
annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
I just made cauliflower rice for the first time tonight- Spanish style, with cumin and a little tomato sauce- and I'm hooked. It was so quick and easy, and so yummy and filling. So what else can I do with cauliflower rice? What do guys make with it?

Replies

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    We love cauliflower fried rice. Here's where I got the inspiration :smile:
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3195098303/asian-cauliflower-fried-rice

These days I skip some of the veggies. I start with chopped bacon, and fry a bit to get some fat in the pan, add a bit of onion, some chopped celery, sometimes finely chopped broccoli, whatever you like that is low carb. Keep all the bacon fat in the ban for keto. Cook that mixture down until almost done, then add riced or grated cauliflower along with some tamari and seasonings you like. Don't overcook or it will turn mushy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I just made cauliflower rice for the first time tonight- Spanish style, with cumin and a little tomato sauce- and I'm hooked. It was so quick and easy, and so yummy and filling. So what else can I do with cauliflower rice? What do guys make with it?

That sounds fabulous! I've only used riced cauliflower for pizza crust and as a plain rice. It's so versatile!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    This isn't riced but even the carbaholics in the family accept it as a mac and cheese replacement. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/cauliflower-mac-and-cheese-casserole-recipe.html
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I made Thai style cauliflower rice, and I'm hooked too. I don't have a food processor, so I used a cheese grater to make the faux rice. I sautéed onion, green pepper and mince garlic in sesame oil. I added shrimp, and cooked until pink. Hen I added the faux rice, yellow curry, ginger, nutmeg,and Thai fish sauce, and started fluffing the "rice", making a well in the middle I added an egg, then mixed it all together. Mmmmm Mmmmm good;)
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I did the rice super simple as a base for pork chops with homemade creamy mushroom gravy. No extra prep needed for the cauliflower rice. :)

-T.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My fiance can't stand cauliflower for both taste and texture reasons. Do any of these recipes, in y'all's opinions, hide that factor enough for me to try to sneak it in on him? I kind of miss cauliflower a little.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    My fiance can't stand cauliflower for both taste and texture reasons. Do any of these recipes, in y'all's opinions, hide that factor enough for me to try to sneak it in on him? I kind of miss cauliflower a little.

I've tricked a lot of people with this one and my daughter, who despises cauliflower, can't get enough of a cheesy version I make. This is not like rice, more like a mashed potato substitute. I don't have carb counts (it would depend on your amounts) but I add in any and all of the following depending on my mood and what's in the fridge:

1 head of cauliflower steamed and mashed
    Cream cheese
    Heavy cream
    Parmesan (great for masking cauliflower taste)
    Shredded cheddar (older is better if you are trying to mask the flavour)

Mash it all together, stick in a greased casserole dish, top with more cheese and Parmesan and stick it in the oven (at 350) til its hot. Especially delicious with a nice juicy steak :)
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I make Chinese cauliflower rice like you would with rice. Add some diced meat, shrimp or chicken, little stir fry veggies, sesame oil, ginger, egg, soy sauce or Coconut aminos and it's delicious
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thai and Chinese stir fry both sound amazing!

Knit- I made burrito bowls with my Spanish cauliflower rice, and it definitely masks the cauliflower flavor.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I can't find a recipe that I like at all.. I don't know if I am not doing it right, I find the cauliflower taste overwhelming, especially with Asian dishes. I LOVE cauliflower mash, but I cannot seem to get the flavor to mellow out enough for cauliflower rice. Maybe with Indian food it will be a better mix?
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For those that are stir-frying, do you cook your cauliflower rice & THEN add to stir fry, or put the raw cauli-rice right in with the other ingredients? The one time I made cauli-rice, I roasted it on a baking sheet, kind of a pain, but came out fine.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I get it frozen from Trader Joe's now. Pretty nifty. The homemade mushroom cream gravy was really good and I couldn't taste anything else but the gravy.
    For those who don't like the taste of cauliflower, might want to try this recipe out:
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/01/better-than-potatoes-cheesy-cauliflower.html

I was a hardcore potato addict. I loved all things potatoes.
    This recipe convinced me to drop them.
    When I pureed it, I put it into a dish and used an immersion blender the second time instead of putting them in a blender.

-T.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For those that are stir-frying, do you cook your cauliflower rice & THEN add to stir fry, or put the raw cauli-rice right in with the other ingredients? The one time I made cauli-rice, I roasted it on a baking sheet, kind of a pain, but came out fine.

I don't roast it, I make rice, squeeze all the moisture out, than add sesame and olive oil to wok and fry it stirring frequently, add eggs on the side of the wok, fry, break them up and mix it in. All other ingredients I try to prepare separate so I can just dump it all in and let it cook for a bit, add soy sauce and spices and you're all set.

qssttayy1zuq.jpg
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    @GSD_Mama....that looks delicious!!
  • chloexoxmae
    chloexoxmae Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I made Thai style cauliflower rice, and I'm hooked too. I don't have a food processor, so I used a cheese grater to make the faux rice. I sautéed onion, green pepper and mince garlic in sesame oil. I added shrimp, and cooked until pink. Hen I added the faux rice, yellow curry, ginger, nutmeg,and Thai fish sauce, and started fluffing the "rice", making a well in the middle I added an egg, then mixed it all together. Mmmmm Mmmmm good;)

Holy hell I just screen-shotted this because that sounds beyond delicious.
  • chloexoxmae
    chloexoxmae Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't have a food processor but I just use a cheese grater. I grate the entire head at a time.
    Sometimes I just add mayo, ranch, pepperoni and cheese for a 'salad.' I usually do this because it's quick and easy when I'm running around getting ready for work.
    Sometimes I fry it in coconut oil.
    And of course pizza crusts :)
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Can the cauliflower rice be frozen or do I need to make a new batch every time? I do a lot of bulk cooking to save time during the week.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Can the cauliflower rice be frozen or do I need to make a new batch every time? I do a lot of bulk cooking to save time during the week.

I do a whole head at a time - and freeze it raw in small bags. It keeps my kitchen cleaner because it always makes such a mess!
  • chaychay48
    chaychay48 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I made cheesy cauliflower "tater" tots the other night and they were really good! The recipe called for corn meal which upped the carb count a little more than I would like, so I am going to try crunched up pork rinds next time to see if it works just as well. My husband said he preferred these to regular tatertots

http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/baked-cauli-tots/
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    CAULIFLOWER CHEESY PIZZA STIX..blenderize head of cauli in water, (smaller than 'rice' grains)..more like dense flour----strain/drain in cheesecloth or VF strainer..mix in: 1/2 C shredded cheese, 1 egg, Pizza seasonings…spread out on parchment paper in pan…bake 20-30 min 350+…then top with more shredded cheese, marinara sauce ( or keep separate for dipping) bake another 20min…cut up into short strips, or slices …add meat other veggies ( for plant based- I've used thin sliced zucchini, hempseed, onion, garlic etc)

You can also add almond flour ~1/2C for more 'bread' like pizza crust-- coconut flour is way too dense..use sparingly

parchment paper best ( I've tried cutting up a heavy brown grocery bag, lightly oiled…it works)