Questions without Answers

Options

Replies

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    A n=1 observation: while we were shopping last week my wife asked me about the status of our Tylenol supply. I had no idea. Thinking about it I realized I could not remember taking a pain reliever, decongestant, antihistamine, or even a cough drop over the past 6-7 months. That's not normal for an old guy going through a harsh winter with constant exposure to young kids.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread. Thanks!
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes, this is what I meant :)
    wabmester wrote: »
    luvmyleo wrote: »
    My questions is: What does maintenance look like?

I was just reading a study today that addressed that question by looking at the effects of a ketogenic diet on normal-weight subjects.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    A few studies have looked at this, and it depends on how you implement keto. Obviously replenishing electrolytes is one of the keys, but so is micronutrient intake, the type of fat you eat, etc. I think both Phinney and Volek have been keto for MANY years with no adverse effects.

This review covers some of the "potentially adverse effects":
    http://www.vladozlatos.com/project/files/pages/586/a-review-of-low-carbohydrate-ketogenic-diets.pdf

Thanks!
    minties82 wrote: »
    Can a VLC diet help with rheumatoid arthritis?

A large portion of the reason I went keto was to help with autoimmune problems (sugar = inflammation = more AI problems) and to help with arthritis. It's helping a bit already. I'm hoping for more as time goes on.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Fat adapted here

Just did a very long ride. 2300 calories and 2 hours pushing it

I was very thirsty, not hungry. I will eat because I need to get my calories

But I'm not going to bonk like in the old carb burner days

It works
  • ttgrandma
    ttgrandma Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    lots of good information here! I have been on LCHP diet forever, I think. I am 64 and not much body fat. I have noticed that my weight really creep up in 2014 after 6 months of RV travel. I am having a very hard time getting Ketosis going again. Do you think I have just over dieted or should I just hang in there? I am never hungry but make myself eat 3 times a day with a 3 and 9 o'clock protein snack. Any help for this old gal would be appreciated!
    Linda
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    luvmyleo wrote: »
    Yes, this is what I meant :)

I think this was the study:

A ketogenic diet favorably affects serum biomarkers for cardiovascular disease in normal-weight men.

Basically, health markers improved in normal-weight subjects. So even in maintenance, a ketogenic diet is still good for you. :)

To our knowledge this is the first study to document the effects of a ketogenic diet on fasting and postprandial CVD biomarkers independent of weight loss. The results suggest that a short-term ketogenic diet does not have a deleterious effect on CVD risk profile and may improve the lipid disorders characteristic of atherogenic dyslipidemia.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Fat adapted here

It works

This fascinates me!
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ttgrandma wrote: »
    lots of good information here! I have been on LCHP diet forever, I think. I am 64 and not much body fat. I have noticed that my weight really creep up in 2014 after 6 months of RV travel. I am having a very hard time getting Ketosis going again. Do you think I have just over dieted or should I just hang in there? I am never hungry but make myself eat 3 times a day with a 3 and 9 o'clock protein snack. Any help for this old gal would be appreciated!
    Linda

Hi Linda,

What are your macros, calories & statistics (height/weight)? And what are your goals?

If you want to get into ketosis you need to set you macros to 20g carbs, maximum. Are you eating more than this? However, when i 1st started keto it still took me forever to get into ketosis. Ive heard several people also say they got into ketosis quickly 1st time round, but after a carby break it took them a lot longer to get back into ketosis. I would definitely stick with it. Stay below 20g carbs, keep your protein between 0.6g-0.8g per pound of bodyweight, and your fat is the rest.

Good luck.

• professionalHobbyist
    Options
    Fat adapted here

It works

This fascinates me!

I put up a thread that is recording the workouts and results

If you want to ask a specific question you can message me or post in there

Wab, our wonderful friend in the LC forum gave me the summarizing thoughts to put it all together

But it is an all the way thing. If you do the long duration exercise with carbs in your system you won't "force" the fat as fuel adaptation as quick

I think some diet in a Keto state long and hard and get there. I'm just forcing it and doing some body recomp.

It is just interesting to see what I can make an over 50 body look like.

• toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I too have fibromyalgia. I feel better on keto and best water fasting. The latter is unsustainable of course. I fasted in 2012 for 30 days and felt great most days. I was just very bored because I like to eat. I did all my usual activities including working full-time and exercise.
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ok so I have noticed an interesting hunger pattern. On the weekends I can eat my normal breakfast and not be hungry until dinner. During the week though at work I eat the same breakfast and feel like I'm going to naw off my hand by lunch. I drink lots of water and a cup of coffee but I don't know what it is. Also I can feel starving all day at work but when I get home I don't rush to make dinner and feel more in control. I'm wondering if I'm just bored or what. I don't have the urge to eat the crap that's provided for employees but it's starting to make me nuts. Maybe I just need therapy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • wabmester
    Options
    @Gnulie, all I can tell you is that the environment makes a huge difference to me. At home, where I have complete control and low stress, I'm invincible.

At work, I often have to literally chew on a problem. Mindless snacking is a bad habit for me when I'm faced with a tough problem. I guess it's a form of procrastination or some sort of mental white noise so I can focus better.

No suggestions from me, since it sounds like you're already handling it better than I would. :)
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I've got one. What is the neagtive aspects of being keto long term? I'm wondering about 10-20 years from now.... if I'm still doing it.

Check out Dr. Bernstein's blog and books -- he has been doing lchf since the early 1970s. He is type 1 diabetic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Bernstein#Biography
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    Skipping breakfast is often the best way to start my day except after a hard lifting evening

It seems to be the least important meal

How does this effect brain function?

• wabmester
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @pro, at lot of people report an elevated mood with fasting. It might increase endorphin production, but I'm not sure you'll get the effect by just skipping breakfast.

Fasting in mood disorders: neurobiology and effectiveness. A review of the literature

The only downside I've heard is speculation that eating 3 regularly scheduled meals helps entrain your circadian rhythm. If you're posting at 2:26am (PST), maybe yours is off a bit. :)
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Does fasting reduce resting metabolic rate?
  • wabmester
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Efficient adaptation to famine was important for survival during rough times in our evolution. Lowering metabolic rate during starvation allowed us to live longer, increasing the possibility that we might come across something to eat. Starvation literally means starvation. It doesn't mean skipping a meal not eating for 24 hours. Or not eating for three days even. The belief that meal skipping or short-term fasting causes "starvation mode" is so completely ridiculous and absurd that it makes me want to jump out the window.

Looking at the numerous studies I've read, the earliest evidence for lowered metabolic rate in response to fasting occurred after 60 hours (-8% in resting metabolic rate). Other studies show metabolic rate is not impacted until 72-96 hours have passed (George Cahill has contributed a lot on this topic).

Seemingly paradoxical, metabolic rate is actually increased in short-term fasting. For some concrete numbers, studies have shown an increase of 3.6% - 10% after 36-48 hours (Mansell PI, et al, and Zauner C, et al). This makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. Epinephrine and norepinephrine (adrenaline/noradrenaline) sharpens the mind and makes us want to move around. Desirable traits that encouraged us to seek for food, or for the hunter to kill his prey, increasing survival. At some point, after several days of no eating, this benefit would confer no benefit to survival and probably would have done more harm than good; instead, an adaptation that favored conservation of energy turned out to be advantageous. Thus metabolic rate is increased in short-term fasting (up to 60 hours).

• slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    There is a discussion on reddit that has me confused.

Any thoughts about whether to drop cals./carbs. to your minimum macros out of the gate or start higher and when a weight plateau is reached then reduce?

Should one set their macros at your goal weight or at the current weight minus a reasonable deficit?

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/comments/3d7dbl/what_do_you_guys_think_of_the_first_point_in_this/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5-reasons-youre-not-ripped.html

In particular:
    "A common problem many dieters make is dropping calories and carbs too drastically right out of the gate. I get a lot of questions from people asking about going on a ketogenic (keto) diet—which is an extremely low-carb diet—to get ripped. Honestly, dropping all your carbs in one fell swoop is the last thing you want to do!

Yes, a drastic cut in your carbs can lead to a big drop in bodyweight, but that drop will be short-lived. The problem with dieting is that your body is constantly fighting to prevent too much fat loss; after all, fat is a great energy reserve if times get tough and food is no longer plentiful. While that may have been a problem for our ancestors, it's not a real issue for most of us today.

The "short lived" drop of weight he refers is water / glycogen weight. On keto, as we know, you still need a caloric deficit and to correctly track macros.

So no matter how low you drop carbs (and calories), your body will eventually adjust to your new caloric intake. If you've dropped most or all of your carbs, your body will adjust to that low-carb intake and you won't have room to cut further. Where do you go from there when you're no longer losing body fat?

Ok, he is using a blanket statement. You need to correctly set up your macros from the start. You will stall after a while, this is a known issue that happens in ANY diet whatsoever. Where do you go when you are not losing body fat? You review your diet, make sure you are tracking right, and do a one week calorie break.
  • wabmester
    Options
    I don't think there's much science to support his view, especially with regard to how quickly you drop carbs.

The inevitable stall is mostly due to a lower metabolic rate due to your lost weight. As he says, it happens on all weight-loss diets. You need fewer calories as you lose weight, so you'll need to adjust intake downwards.

Psychologically, I like setting both my carb and calorie levels for the maintenance level I'll need for the future skinnier me. That way, maintenance becomes automatic.