I'm planning on emotional eating today.

Options
GabinkaP
GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
I can't do it right now. But the confluence of a sale and a very annoying morning has me planning on an ice cream cone this evening. We had court today, a follow-up hearing about our son. It took 5 minutes. But it took 2 hours of waiting to get into the courtroom. I normally start work at 9:30. Court was at 10:30, so I planned on going to work after court. We didn't get into the courtroom until 12:20. We were out at 12:25 but we had to go home where I changed shoes and vehicles and drove to work. I got in the office at 1:15pm. So I have to make up 1 1/2 hours. (That's because I had "banked" 1 hour and 15 minutes and I have a 1 hour lunch break, so that covered from 9:30-11:45.) I'll have to work an extra half hour today, then shorten my lunch by a half hour and work an extra half hour tomorrow as well to make up for all that waiting at court. I'm extremely annoyed, and Sonic's offering 1/2 price ice cream cones.

However, I am going to try to stay in my budget or not go over by a lot.

Replies

• tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    How did you do? Nothing wrong with a planned treat now and then!
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I think if you can plan a treat and stay within you calorie budget, that is totally awesome!! I hope to be able to do that.....
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    So you're not really trying to change your life then? I was recently think about the pattern of emotional eating. I think i have a pretty good understanding of it all. I recognised that to break the habit, one has to find another way of dealing with the stress and upsets that normally send us to food. I'm not saying its easy. Instead of saying i've had a *kitten* day today so i'm going to have an ice-cream, why can't you say I"ve had a *kitten* day so i'm going to soak in a hot bath with lots of bubbles when i get home.

Rather than treating yoruself, why not find something else to do that makes you feel good. It might be phoning a friend. Or watching a comedy. but it would be better if it wasn't food if you want to have a chance of breaking the pattern. I know one icecream isn't a problem but what if it leads you on to more food. And what if it ruins your weightloss plans altogether. How good are you at eating one treat and stopping? If you are not good at that, then its not good to tempt fate by having the icecream at all.
  • gizmosmom02
    gizmosmom02 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you posted here, you probably want help/advice avoiding doing this. Another "reward" is great....get a manicure. What about another food reward that isn't ice cream? I have to avoid sweets or I lose all control. Maybe a really fabulous salad with lots of different greens, blueberries, nuts, olives? Or something else. What about going home, sitting down, and having ONE glass of wine? Rent a movie.

And, think about how you will feel tomorrow if you avoid bingeing today.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Wine is more my kind of treat :blush: I understand. When I feel that way, I don't want something healthy. I think some of it is doing something you think people will look down on you for. It's almost a rebellion over having to "control" yourself. You can just give yourself permission, take the power away from the food and give it to yourself. You can have it if you REALLY want it, but is it worth it?
  • Painterwoman2015
    Painterwoman2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just recognizing the emotions attached to my eating is a help. I can feel the compulsion, but not the feeling ot the cause.
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Sorry, hadn't been in the Community section for awhile. I did go get the ice cream, with my daughter. And I did stay in my budget and didn't gain weight for it. I just think sometimes we can eat emotionally if it's not a continuous problem. It probably wouldn't have been ice cream if it wasn't for Sonic's promotion. I wanted that ice cream promotion anyway. But without the bad mood I might have passed it up because I want to lose the weight. I'm glad I went for it. $.54 for a 250 calorie ice cream cone! It was nice.

I don't drink alcohol so wine isn't for me. My bathtub is not the most relaxing place and it wastes a lot of water to take a bath. I don't eat emotionally all that much. Usually, out of boredom at work, but I've cut down on that A LOT. I've only had 1 snack between breakfast and lunch today and then went for an 30 minute walk on the treadmill, so I'm doing okay.

BTW: I started mid-April at 147.4lbs. I'm 134 today, heading toward 125.

• fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing well!!!!! I think planned treats are wise as long as they don't send you into a spiral of bad choices. But you handled your situation very well.
  • walrusd
    walrusd Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think you should definitely have an ice cream now and then. But instead of saying to yourself "I've had a *kitten* day, so I should get an ice cream", I think it's better to just say "I want an ice cream, because I like ice cream".

The clue is to stop the association between bad feelings (or accomplishment, when it comes to food as a reward) and food. It's pavlovs dogs. If you have the association, and feel like food is a comfort, even the best self discipline will not stop you from gaining weight if you go through a very hard time. And honestly, we do go through hardships quite often in a lifetime.