no one has hot flashes?

i posted earlier and no one responded? Just wondering why? surely other woman have this problem. i thought maybe someone would mention something i have not tried.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited July 2015
    Oh lordy yes!
    I have them. They aren't as bad as they used to be. I changed up my diet quite a bit, and am taking black cohosh/dong quai. I don't know if the supplements helped, or cutting back on carbs, or adding more soy has helped. But something has!

I have standard hot flashes, and night sweats. And I have the super hot flashes that come with nausea and dizziness. Fortunately, those are very rare.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Night sweats almost daily. Occasional hot flashes but not too bad.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Night sweats 2-4 days before my period starts, they don't seem as bad as in the winter when I wake up soaked and freezing cold.

• blacktimberdick
    blacktimberdick Posts: 4 Member
    thanks ladies. i tried all the natural stuff and soy and it made no difference at all. i used a hormone patch for years. but being an active athlete, the patches did not stay on very well. i would actually found one on my husband once. Then my doctor put me on regular hormones and 8 months later, i had a stroke. Now we are trying an anti depressants. what a drag. Of course, living in the freaking tropics does not help
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    I did have them, but I'm on HRT now and that stops them. I'm afraid I can't help with non-hormonal treatments except that I am also on nortriptyline for chronic pain and that seems to help with all kinds of problems. Maybe the antidepressants will help. I had problems with the patches sticking too, but I seem to have figured out the one place that they stick (lower abdomen, as long as I wear higher rise/granny panties). I still have to clean the area with alcohol first to make sure there is no soap or lotion residue to keep it from sticking.
  • furandfeathers
    furandfeathers Posts: 1 Member
    I think "hot spells"(mine are NOT flashes-they stay awhile!) and night swamps are more accurate descriptions. I can't take HRT due to a blood clot in my 20's. I've tried herbal remedies without success. I'm going to ask my doctor about SSRI's. Studies show sleep is important for weight loss (and sanity), but I can't remember the last time I slept 4 hours in a row. I'm desperate for some relief.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    I don't tolerate SSRI's, but I seem to tolerate nortrip fine (it's a tricyclic) and it is supposed to help with sleep. Trazadone also helps with sleep and is supposed to be very safe. It is an old antidepressant that can't be used as one because therapeutic doses knock most people out. Unfortunately I react paradoxically to almost all sedating drugs, but I understand these are normally very effective. Insomnia has always been an issue for me and not much helps except for Ambien. I am currently taking it, and there is a huge difference between how I feel when I don't sleep and when I get sleep regularly. Sleep is very important. You will probably feel a lot better just having that issue addressed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I think "hot spells"(mine are NOT flashes-they stay awhile!) and night swamps are more accurate descriptions. I can't take HRT due to a blood clot in my 20's. I've tried herbal remedies without success. I'm going to ask my doctor about SSRI's. Studies show sleep is important for weight loss (and sanity), but I can't remember the last time I slept 4 hours in a row. I'm desperate for some relief.

Hot spells and night swamps! Boy that puts it in perspective!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Had one last night not too long before bedtime. I finally stripped and laid down spread eagle under the ceiling fan until it went away. So annoying. Hubby was quite amused, though.

My doc is not a fan of any kind of hormone therapy because of the risks. She even cuts off the birth control pills at age 40. So right now I am just enduring. Thankfully they only come a few times a month for me.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Mine stopped for a while, but they are now back!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    My doctors (primary and gyno) have no significant concerns about HRT for me, other than advising an annual appointment for a well woman check. Many of the risks previously associated with HRT have been qualified and for most women the risks now appear to be similar to those associated with other common lifestyle choices, like drinking alcohol (which I rarely do). All bets are off, of course, for anyone with a history of cancer or blood clotting issues, or with other significant health issues. I suffered terribly before HRT and was nearly nonfunctional so I am very happy with it (and much much healthier with my increased ability to be physically active). BTW, birth control pills are much stronger than HRT and carry higher risks (though my doctors were OK with me taking those as well).
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member

...yeah...I still don't know if I have had a hot flash but I either wake up and my AC says it is 71 degrees even though it feels more like 80 degrees, or it is the middle of the day and I just feel really warm for a bit. Even though the thermostat has been the same temperature all day, I haven't. Is that a hot flash? And the sleep thing...gah. That is all out of whack now too, which is SO ANNOYING.

• Bikerchickmomma
    Bikerchickmomma Posts: 99 Member
    Hi and welcome! I started getting nights sweats when I turned 40. I began eating a serving of tofu or a soy product daily at that time. I also made a point to exercise regularly. That helped alleviate most of the night sweats. I didn't get a "real" hot flash until I was 57. (My periods stopped when I was 57-1/2). I am still getting the hot flashes and from what I hear, they can continue for a while. I think it's individual to the person. When I eat clean, avoiding processed foods, excessive carbs, sugar, and flour, the symptoms are lessened. I have not had any hormonal treatments but I continue to have my daily serving of soy. I continue to exercise. I continue to refrain from wearing turtle-necks and dress so I can take a layer off when I get a hot flash. My husband has been extremely understanding. (Like when I am in the car with my window wide open in the middle of winter, or using the ceiling fan with a window open in the bedroom year-round.... I believe someday they will cease. I just don't know when. Until then, I am saving my turtle-necks....
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    @Bikerchickmomma -- 57 1/2 before it all stopped?? Oh no I hope not. That means 10 more years. . . . :o