New Here. A quick Introduction.

Options
TrainerRobin
TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
Hello everyone. It's been awhile since I've logged onto MFP and I did so, specifically to search for a group that was utilizing the Beck's CBT approach to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight.

I'm happy to have found y'all.

I'm surrendering to this approach because for me, it's literally all in my head. I have no other excuse.

For years, I have been a Certified Personal Trainer and Diet & Nutrition Coach, certified through arguably the nation's most respected wellness organization. I transformed myself and kept the weight off (about 75 pounds) for years. I've helped other women transform their bodies, learn to work out correctly, eat properly, etc. In my community, I became the gal you'd see to do a healthy, forever transformation. I was a runner and had it all under control. Or so I thought.

But life happened. Major surgery (ironically so I could continue running) caused me to slide away from a super active and health lifestyle. And ... to my embarrassment, I have regained almost every pound I have kept off for years, and never resumed running. My unhealthy backsliding has affected my husband and girls. It's time to get a grip. When I read this book, it felt like she had heard me voice all of my excuses. She nailed it.

And that's how and why I'm here. If I can get my head right, I'll be set.

The "nuts and bolts" of a drastic transformation? I've got that. The part in my head. I don't have that down at all.

So I offer my support to all of you, in exchange for your support for me. I'll readily admit, I'm the one that is likely to think , "I don't need to read my ADVANTAGES list. I know that. I wrote it!" But clearly, I do need to do that. And so much more. So help hold me accountable and I'll help y'all in any way that I can.

Looking forward to learning about EACH of you.

Robin

Replies

• maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I surrendered and accepted Beck's instructions and took the do it anyway approach when I thought I didn't need to practice a skill etc. I had done beck before with a less rigid mindset and consequently didn't have long term success (first month was easy).
    Add me as a friend if you like.
    Which book are you using?
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the audio book and listened to that. Then realized that I needed to get the print version so I could better map out my plan of action. It should arrive tomorrow. The reviews on the workbook were poor so I didn't get that. What are you using Maggie?
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I read the pink book (original beck diet solution) a couple of years ago and bought the accompanying workbook. I didn't complete them as I fell into some of the traps (as found in the beck diet trap book, which I read a couple of months ago). So I have now just finished using the workbook (I completed it this time, finally using a diet coach -husband) and am re-doing sections of the workbook that I need to refresh. I use both the diet trap book and workbook
  • christabelle66
    christabelle66 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was just recently introduced to the Beck CBT Techniques a few months ago when Judith Beck and Debbie Beck Busis spoke at my local bookstore. I borrowed them from the library and found like I had found the missing piece. I have managed to lose significant amounts of weight in the past (and even maintained the loss once for over four years until I became pregnant with my first child) but after having my thryoid removed ten years ago, all bets were off. For some time I didn't even try to lose the weight I was rapidly gaining because I thought to myself, "I can't lose weight." Like many of us on MFP, I know a lot about nutrition, exercise and my body-- all the "right" things to do but depite that, I have gained and lost the same 33 pounds more times than I can count. When I read both the Beck Diet Solution and The Diet Trap Solution, I realized that the one piece I have never really tried to tackle is my thoughts. I was very gung-ho when I first started this present journey but know that as I have settled into a comfortable routine (I have lost 15 pounds and am struggling with some iron-deficiency anemia right now which exhausts me) I am getting a little sloppy about reading my Advantages list and my response cards. Hoping that with some Beck buddies I can stay on task and make the lifelong changes I need to head into my 50s healthy and strong.
  • Nch305
    Nch305 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The Beck Diet Solution helped me lose 30 pounds, all of which crept back on as I let the routine slide. Last week I picked up the book and began reading it again. I am starting right at the beginning, rewriting my Advantages and response cards, because I know they work. I am so pleased to find this group. I feel that this time, with support from others who are on the same journey, the changes can be permanent.