Workout Check-in - Making fireworks in July!

Options

Replies

• Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Workout A

Squats 5x5: 95lbs
    BP: 5x5 : 57.5lbs
    Row: 5x5: 57.5lbs

Didn't have time for my accessory lifts today.
  • Pickles175
    Pickles175 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @sarah_K_parker I'm not sure if you go to thrift stores, but I have found a lot of standard size metal weight plates at Goodwills and the like. Worth a look if you need to add on to your weight collection. Also, Play it Again Sports sell second hand plates for 50 cents a pound. :)
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I have changed up my SL a bit buy increasing reps and lowering weights (just so I don't mess up my neck too much).

Workout A today

Squats: 5x8x 130 lbs.
    Bench: 5x8x 80 lbs.
    Row: 5x8x 80 lbs. - okay these rows hurt my neck and trapz. Must decrease weights. Drat!!

2 planks at 1 minute each.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'll get to workout all 3 x's this week woohoo! Not sure when I'll be able to do it again but here goes:
    All 5x5
    Squat 105
    BP 65
    Row 65
    Keep on killing it ladies!!

• tiffanyhowland
    tiffanyhowland Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Good workout today!

Squat: 115 pounds (felt good, going up)
    Bench: 80 pounds (felt good, careful with the tore cuff, going up - my max was only 80 when I started this!)
    Row: 100 pounds (felt good, got a little bouncy at the end, going up but watching form next time)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Lifted yesterday.

Squats 5x5 at 165#. Felt decent enough.
    OHP 5/5/5/4/3 at 80#. Eh.
    Deads 1x3 at 200#. Deads feel stupid heavy as of late. I don't know what's up with them.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Workout B:

Squats 65lbs
    OHP 40lbs
    DL 65lbs

Additional:
    Sit-up medicine ball throws 12lbs 2x15

OHP is a challenge. I tried to do just 45lbs bar, but 3 reps in and I wasn't budging. I was able to complete 5x5 with 40lbs - it still took a lot.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Pretty good workout today. Still struggling with OHP, but that's nothing new.

Workout B

Squats, 5x5@90 lbs. I moved up today and these still felt pretty good. I think I will stay here one more day.

OHP, 5x5 (barely) @50 lbs. Ugh, OHP! Some days, 55 lbs feels pretty easy and others, like today, 50 lbs is torture. This was a repeat, but it looks like I'll be staying here at least one more time.

Deadlift, 2x5@95 lbs. Still only going up 5 lbs at a time. I did 2 sets because these still felt pretty easy.

Extras:
    Good mornings, 3x10@55 lbs and finished up with an hour of cardio.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Morning Cardio - 2 mile jog.

It was warmer this morning though I left at least 15 minutes later than planned because I had to charge my iPod first. Went fine and back didn't bother me (ached a little yesterday from the stretches that I did with the PT) but knees were a little cranky. Now I'm considering a nap and food, not sure which will come first.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    5 mile run scheduled today, then some ab work, maybe regular pushups depending on time.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Last night:
    Squat: 2x5x45, 1x5x75, 5x5x110
    OHP: 2x5x45, 5x5x70
    Deads: 1x5x120

That's the first set in about 10 days, so it was rough. My legs ache today from the squats, but I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer and have to work from scratch. I'll be back up to my higher weights in a few weeks. I hold the same weight for as many days as I feel that it takes to keep my form in check. I don't think that it will hurt me not to build on this quickly ;)

Today I'm really hoping to get some form of cardio in - even if it's just a walk this evening.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    OHP 5 day
    65 lbs x 6, 70 lbs x 5, 75 lbs x 5 tough but do able
    5x8 OHP 50 lbs superset with assisted pull ups.
    Shoulder started to hurt by set 4 and its still bothering me a bit through out the day. I will take a lacrosse ball to it tonight and hopefully it will feel better.
    Also I tried doing a chin up before my pull ups and I got 1 full one! So progress, yay :smiley:
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    today I did:

Squats - 75lbs
    OHP - 45lbs (finally lifting the bar!!!)
    DL - 75lbs

The squats were really hard - pushing through the last rep of the last 2 sets was murder, LOL...I think I'm going to stick with the 75lbs again next time. And I bought incremental weights , so I can go up slowly with the OHP!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    i got up at 4 this morning. why? who the hell knows.

anyway, i went in and did workout b. squat 65, ohp pretty much skipped although i did try and get at least some sets with both 50 and 45, and deadlifts 70.

i suddenly found the exact deadlift form while i was still warming up, so rather than spoil it by adding more weight i just stayed where i was and did 4x5 sets of them. i just dk why i'd been making them so stupidly complicated. grab bar, brace errything, stand up straight. i think i was way way way overthinking the 'hinge' all this time.

and then i rode to work but i was so tired i kept falling asleep while sitting upright. gave up and left early at around 2.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Squats: 100 lbs again. Form felt good. Going to stay here again
    Ohp: soo close to 5x5 with 55 lbs
    Deadlift: 115 lbs did 2x5 just because

Accessories: lunges and assisted chin ups

Have any of you tried strong curves before? I was thinking about getting the book and was wondering if it is worth it.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Ugh. The summer is really screwing with my schedule. Between derby games taking up my regular Saturday lifting day, and family outings while the kid is out of school, I am having a really hard time getting back in the groove. Too many half-azzed weeks means my weights have taken a hit :(

Squat - 3x5 at 145 lbs. Hard. Might try again, might try 150 next. I will see how tired I am that day.
    OHP - 3x5 at 55 lbs. Good. I will try 57.5 next time.
    DL - 1x5 at 165. Good. Will go to 170. Still having issues with the bar rolling in my hands though, but when I try to grip harder, I end up pinching the flesh. Is this a grip strength issue, or something chalk will help with?

Rows - light day - 65 - easy.
    Close grip bench press - 3x8 at 50 lbs. easy enough
    Barbell curls - 3x8 at 40 lbs. Barely made it.
    Cable crunches - 3x10 at 50 lbs. Felt good. Better than last time.
    Pull ups - 2x1. Did these at the end, and that was a mistake. I was already tired! Didn't even try for 2 in a row.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Evening lifting session. I actually took a nap this morning then did some errands and spent way too much time sitting on the computer not being productive. Oh well. Tomorrow is my rest day and I get to cashier, lucky me... Well, we don't need photo cause someone is coming to get the machines ready for their removal as we are getting new, non-chemical based equipment. So, I'll work on a little stretching and foam rolling tomorrow. I did do a little of the TRX stuff and foam rolled before lifting tonight. And I did feel a bit in my upper back after the pendlay rows when I was doing the good mornings, so that was interesting. An okay work out but went a little earlier than normal and tuesday night is often busy.

Workout A

squat 3x5 @ 140 - rough, the first set in particular as I was in my head struggling with all of the things to work on. Sit back, don't go too low so don't round, don't go too far forward either, etc. Once I shook it off a bit things got better.

bench press 3x5 @ 90 - yay. I used to fail at this one though not sure I could do 5 sets, maybe.

p-row 3x5 @ 100 - heavy. I should go a little lower and work up on these cause they are tough but the stacking plates is such a pain even with the 25's on. I really hope to one day make it to 135 on these.

accessories:
    good morning 3x10 @ 60 - these were usual though a tad better than last time
    rdl 3x8 @ 80 - easy enough
    hip thrust 3x10 @ 60 - the 70 was in use so did lower but still really felt it

Not bad overall. Leg press was in use so I couldn't do that one. Ready for a rest day though cause yay sleep.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Was not feeling it this morning. Tired. Haven't been sleeping much/well lately. Right shoulder still a bit wonky but i thought I could tough it out (I was awake at 4:30, anyway). Turns out that was probably a mistake. I managed to drag my lagging *kitten* to the gym at 6:15. Yes, it took me an hour and a half to wake up enough to drive over.

Snatch Pull x5 - 85, 95, 105, 115
    Snatch Balance x3 - 75, 85, 95, 95

Front Squats 4x5 with 130lbs
    Wall walks 3 total/wall handstand holds 3x20s - was supposed to do these after each set, but after the warm-up sets and how much I struggled to get the weight back up = wrist strain = I only did 3 wall walks after the warm-up sets with holds...

15 min to do (bar at 75lbs, box at 20')
    -3 TRX row + tricep extensions (Muscle Up sub)
    - 6 OH Squat (dropped the bar on a bad lockout, had to clean it back up and start over, took a while)
    - 9 box jumps
    - 6 MUs
    - 9 OH Squars
    - 12 box jumps
    - 15 thrusters (3/3/4/5)
    - 12 box jumps
    - 9 OH Squats
    - 6 MUs
    - 9 box jumps
    - ran out of time

I was super slow and methodical with the jumps. Hurt me once, shame on the box and crossfit, hurt me twice shame on me, hurt me thrice... Not gonna let that happen.

Shoulder is unhappy with me, as I've said. I don't wanna take time off, but it might need to happen. I feel fat and kinda out of shape these days. The last thing I need is to have to take it easy on top. Ugh. :|
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Also I tried doing a chin up before my pull ups and I got 1 full one! So progress, yay :smiley:

Congrats on the chin-up! That's one hell of an accomplishment!

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    The last thing I need is to have to take it easy on top. Ugh. :|

you know better than that. and you know you know better than that ;)

go ask your doctor or someone you trust to make recommendations about your shoulder. getting it looked at won't take you away from the gym while it's happening, and if you learn nothing . . . well then, all you've lost is an hour or two.

whereas if you do learn something you have a better chance of not being out for a much longer time while something serious heals.