Day one

shaytuck
shaytuck Posts: 55 Member
Day one of OMAD. I thought I'd suffer throughout my work day as I have a terribly boring desk job but it really wasn't that bad. Now I'm home and am eating as I type and I have a terrrrrrrrrrrible headache. Is that normal? I thought I'd have a headache while I was hungry not in the middle of eating.

Replies

• shaytuck
    Two hour update lol: it took me over an hour to eat, hell, I haven't even finished my juice I'm so stuffed. Headache subsided as I ate more but like I said t took me over an hour so I suffered through that headache for that long. I'm a habitual scale stepper and I was the exact same weight this evening as I was this morning. Usually I weigh about 4 pounds more at the end of the day and lose it back overnight. Will post tomorrow if I happen to lose in one day...not expecting miracles overnight...just wanna kinda monitor what works for me and what doesn't, especially since I ate more carbs today than when I tried the lchf lifestyle.
  • shaytuck
    Okay well day two and down from 212.8 to 209.2 so I'll take it lol.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hi!

Welcome to OMAD!

When starting out, headaches are totally normal. They'll probably be around until day 5, as will occasional dizziness, cramps, and "the runs." But all of this depends on the individual.

Be weary of scale-stepping and of expecting results every day. You will keep losing, rest assured, but a week may occasionally pass without a loss. At first, you will jettison all of your water-weight and then the losses will step down a bit. But you will probably lose faster on OMAD than if you did any other plan (in fact, I'd bet you so). I was 2.5 to 3.5-lb losses consistently. This, again, depends on the individual.
  • shaytuck
    Hi!

Welcome to OMAD!

When starting out, headaches are totally normal. They'll probably be around until day 5, as will occasional dizziness, cramps, and "the runs." But all of this depends on the individual.

Be weary of scale-stepping and of expecting results every day. You will keep losing, rest assured, but a week may occasionally pass without a loss. At first, you will jettison all of your water-weight and then the losses will step down a bit. But you will probably lose faster on OMAD than if you did any other plan (in fact, I'd bet you so). I was 2.5 to 3.5-lb losses consistently. This, again, depends on the individual.

I know I need to stay off the scale!!! It's a terrible habit. I also realize weight isn't linear so I will try not to be discouraged if it goes up as long as I don't continue to lose and regain the same amount of weight which is what was happening before. Outside of losing weight I love the extra ten minutes of sleep I get now that I don't have to wake up and cook breakfast and I don't take a lunch at work so I'm able to leave an hour earlier. Wins for me!
  • shaytuck
    So I'm just gonna use this as my personal journal and talk to myself lol. Today was hell. I was hungry all freaking day but I made it. Didn't even eat the apple I took with me to work however I did eat that apple, string cheese and guac while waiting for my chicken thighs to cook....I couldn't help it so my food was eaten within two hours today as opposed to the one. Hopefully it won't affect me too much. A friend of mine said she would consider being my buddy on this journey after she does some research and another friend of mine was on the warrior diet last year and decided to jump back on it today when I told her what I was doing. No headaches today and no going to the bathroom a million times either (tmi I know but yesterday I lived in there
  • arguablysamson
    edited July 2015
    Prattle on, sister! :-p

Sounds like you are doing great, but just like with eating out of bags and containers being a no-no, no starting eating until everything is ready and right in front of you. Make it a no-flex rule to not eat until ALL of your food is prepared and right smack-dab there...salt, pepper, napkins...everything. It's a good rule to have for your less devoted days, believe me!

And there is no TMI here--if not here, where can these sorts of things be shared? Body adjustments to a new eating routine are taxing, and it's only natural to see reactions from the change.
  • shaytuck
    Uggggggghhhh lol. Okay. I think I'm going to have to cook my food a day ahead then because I'm ready to eat as soon as I walk in the door! Having to prep my meal, then have it cook after not eating for 24 hours is tough!!!!!! But I will try. I'm in it for the long run
  • arguablysamson
    It will get easier. If it's hard, then you're making the necessary sacrifice, which means you're going to dash right through that finish line.
  • shaytuck
    I don't know if I'm catching a cold because I live in the desert and our swamp cooler sucks so I have a fan blowing on me all night or if my body is readjusting to the way I'm eating??? But it sucks. I also don't know if me feeling light headed and kinda fuzzy earlier today was because of the cold or the fasting.

From 10-2 I felt like the world was going to end but I also forgot my tea today. 40 more minutes here at work and then I'm going home to have a delicious meal. Really proud of myself for not snacking at all during the day. I usually have apples and cheesesticks on standby just in case but today I left it at home. Today would have been the day I caved in though lol so I'm glad I left them.

Oh and I know I'm not supposed to get on the scale everyday but yea....I did...down .4. Figure once I get to day 7 I will post (and weigh myself) weekly so you're not getting pinged over nothing.
  • arguablysamson
    edited July 2015
    You may be getting sick, but that would be unrelated to OMAD. On the other hand, re-adjustment DOES involve light-headedness and fuzzy, foggy thinking. Your body has not accepted this yet. Totally to be expected (in fact, it means you are actually taking the plunge, as opposed to lots of people who just moderately dip their proverbial toe in the water). Sometimes feelings of faux sickness can just be your body protesting. Through day-4 is going to be tough--I'm not trying to sugarcoat that. :-|

You really never get sick on OMAD. And what illnesses you get are light and flee in less than a day's time. I went home from work early maybe one day in all of 2014 if memory serves. And I was well from a flu-like cold by 2 am that night. I have found it to be one of a number of OMADian perks.

• christinemac17
    christinemac17 Posts: 56 Member
    Starting OMAD today!! Like most, been a yo-yo dieter most of my adult life. I've been interested in Intermittent Fasting for some time and am excited about the things I've been reading here and other places around the interwebs. fwiw - I've been eating zero carb for a couple months and although I FEEL FANTASTIC: tons of energy, sleeping like a rock, no acid reflux, etc, I've had no appreciable weight loss. A fellow ZCer (zero carb) suggested I try IF. I learned a lot from Bob at http://www.buttermakesyourpantsfalloff.com/ He is a huge proponent of this woe.
  • shaytuck
    Starting OMAD today!! Like most, been a yo-yo dieter most of my adult life. I've been interested in Intermittent Fasting for some time and am excited about the things I've been reading here and other places around the interwebs. fwiw - I've been eating zero carb for a couple months and although I FEEL FANTASTIC: tons of energy, sleeping like a rock, no acid reflux, etc, I've had no appreciable weight loss. A fellow ZCer (zero carb) suggested I try IF. I learned a lot from Bob at http://www.buttermakesyourpantsfalloff.com/ He is a huge proponent of this woe.

Good luck! Will you still be eating zero carbs while fasting?
  • arguablysamson
    edited July 2015

Hey there,

I had next to no weight loss on low-carb, but I was miserable most of the time. I'd advise against combining low-carb with IF, but it is your call.

Welcome!
  • christinemac17
    shaytuck wrote: »

Good luck! Will you still be eating zero carbs while fasting?

Shay: Yes, that's my plan. I just do not do well with carbs in my diet. I'm pretty insulin resistant and feel so good eating this way. If you're interested I'd recommend the website I referred to above. He's not zero carb, but very low carb and high fat, and along with IF has lost over 100 lbs
  • shaytuck
    So yesterday was day 4: no unusual feels aside from being hungry around 1....actually didn't eat dinner until much later last night too. Experimenting on what I can and cannot eat while losing weight on IF and look at God! I can eat carbs again!!!!!!! When I went the lchf route I couldn't even look at a French fry without gaining weight! I think the benefit of having gone lchf route is that i don't need a lot to begin with, it's just nice to be able to eat them while losing. My meals have been much carbbier due to going out but I've still been going down. I've always struggled with going out to eat and making great decisions. At home I cook perfectly but if you take me to a restaurant, I want what I want lol. My trick at the restaurants for IF has been to eat my veggies first, then the protein and then the carbs. By the time I got to my rice at the Japanese restaurant I was feeling full and ate about 1/3 of the bowl. Today is day 5 but it's the weekend. My family knows i have a eating schedule but I think it'll be hard seeing them eat lunch. Any who, great weekend to the two ppl that read this lol!!!
  • christinemac17
    Coming up on 23 hrs of day one. I feel awesome! Still not feeling super hungry. At 2 yesterday I ate a 1lb burger w 2 eggs. This morning I had 3 cups of coffee, 2 black one w hwc. Plus lots of water, herbal tea throughout Heading to a friends place for cookout; doubt I'll be low carb today ... Looking forward to seeing how that affects my hunger this time tomorrow
  • arguablysamson
    You both rock! Believe me, the changes will keep coming!
  • shaytuck
    Broke my fast earlier today (230). I was starving. I also worked out for the first time today in my fasted state. I think that contributed toy hunger. It's even harder to meet my calorie goals in one meal after working out.

On another note, no stupid side effects!
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    edited July 2015
    I started OMAD today. I was very hungry and for some reason I couldn't keep my eyes opened and wanted to lay my head on the desk and go to sleep. It lasted for several hours. Drank water and iced tea. Also, had some watermelon. Tomorrow I'm trying to go all day without fruit. I'm hoping to get a cell phone soon so I can take pictures and post the food I eat B) .
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Welcome ladies!