Any other 60 year old determined newbies who juggle work and caregiving ?

Options
Pamipie
Pamipie Posts: 3 Member
Hello My Fitness Pals! I joined a few years ago but have never been faithful (or successful) for any real length of time. Several weeks ago I decided, no more excuses! Time to improve my health. I work three days a week and care for my husband who suffers from Parkinsons Disease and dementia. My plate is full, but I realized I used the care giving as an excuse to not take care of myself. I have done well the last two weeks avoiding processed foods and having veggies and lean proteins and very little sugar. Until tonight. Fell off the wagon a bit but tomorrow is a new day! I have lost four pounds, with a goal of losing about twenty more. I have enjoyed reading the posts in this group, you are warm and encouraging and inspiring!! Thanks for reading ~ Pam

Replies

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Pam, you sure do have a full plate. I am glad you are taking care of yourself. I know that, for the most part, caregivers take care of themselves last. Good for you for making your health a priority.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Good luck Pam. Your husband is lucky to have you and I'm sure you already know it but it's very important to take care of yourself during this difficult time. I've been in your position several times in my life and I think controlling what you can in the way of your health can be really empowering in some ways.

Congrats on the four pounds!!!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Hey, Pam! Kudos to you managing your full plate and yourself. If we only take care of others and not ourselves, we won't be around to take care of them. My husband only has some minor issues compared to yours, but I have to constantly remind him to eat and to eat the right things. He is a diabetic with a sweet tooth and history of stroke, which left him foggy sometimes. Don't worry about falling off the wagon. I have done that and then let it run over me. As you say, each day is a new start. We only fail by quitting. Hang in there, uu can do this.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Oh, my. Good luck!
  • Pamipie
    Pamipie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you, MFP, for your encouraging words! One of my patients brought in homemade mississippi mud brownies today. She wraps them all individually in waxed paper... goes to so much trouble... I had to bring one home. It is on the kitchen counter staring at me. :)
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Don't you love patients like that. I get stuff sometimes and have to give (most) away. Lol
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    Hi Pamipie, I'm in the same situation, caring for my elderly mother, who eats like a bird, and is underweight. And has moderate cognitive impairment. So I have to cook whatever calorie dense foods I can get her to eat, and do my best to not indulge myself.
    And to not let the stress of the bad days send me to the cupboards.
    Good for you for taking care of yourself.
  • MrsMaui27
    MrsMaui27 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pamipie wrote: »
    Hello My Fitness Pals! I joined a few years ago but have never been faithful (or successful) for any real length of time. Several weeks ago I decided, no more excuses! Time to improve my health. I work three days a week and care for my husband who suffers from Parkinsons Disease and dementia. My plate is full, but I realized I used the care giving as an excuse to not take care of myself. I have done well the last two weeks avoiding processed foods and having veggies and lean proteins and very little sugar. Until tonight. Fell off the wagon a bit but tomorrow is a new day! I have lost four pounds, with a goal of losing about twenty more. I have enjoyed reading the posts in this group, you are warm and encouraging and inspiring!! Thanks for reading ~ Pam

"HI" Pam :smiley: WOW,,, U R doing GRrreat!!!
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    We all have valid excuses not to take care of ourselves. I can talk myself into just about anything.

I guess it's maturity that speaks louder than excuses ... we know what we have to do !
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,170 Member
    Options
    We all have valid excuses not to take care of ourselves. I can talk myself into just about anything.

I guess it's maturity that speaks louder than excuses ... we know what we have to do !
    Anyone else find it amusing that we're in a group for 50 year olds and still talking about the need for maturity? lol
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »

Anyone else find it amusing that we're in a group for 50 year olds and still talking about the need for maturity? lol

Seems appropriate to me.
    6zsujzcr4usy.jpg
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    @Farback - Love the pic. Maturity is over rated. :)
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,170 Member
    Options
    Yup!! Growing older isn't optional but growing up definitely is!!
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    Don't they say something like, if you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to?
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Love the pic farback
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Pam your a great inspiration xx
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    Love the pic farback

Thanks. I like to instill confidence in the troops. Who wouldn't follow that guy into a burning building?