High TSH. Should I be alarmed?

Options
chocolatemint
chocolatemint Posts: 7 Member
edited July 2015 in Social Groups
Hi all,

My name is Ann and I have hypothyroidism as well as other endocrine issues.
I just wanted a little insight or advice pertaining to my thyroid results:

TSH 25.2 ( yep, it's high)
Free T4: 0.68
Free T3: 2.8

Based off the TSH and T4, my endocrinologist wanted to put me on a synthetic. I am not ready to go there. I had been getting treated by my primary but I went to the endocrinologist because I wanted to recheck my thyroid and also get help on other endocrine issues (which he ignored).

I am going to go to an actual Naturopath in August. I want to treat my thyroid with NDT and a Naturopath can successfully do this. I researched and this Naturopath specializes in thyroid and other hormone issues (Yippee)

I take 150mg Armour. Honestly, I have been hit or miss with the medication. I have vowed to take the medication EVERY day (especially to get a true blood read).

My question: Should I be alarmed by that TSH? What were your highs/lows? Are you NDT or synthetic?

Thanks for any insight or advice you can offer! I am just grateful that this forum is here and I can reach out to others in the same situation as myself!

Thank you!
Ann

Replies

• allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Wait a second. So you are supposed to be on Armour but you tend not to take it? Do I understand you correctly?
    As to your question - how do you feel? How do you manage to survive with such a high TSH value? Mine was never higher than 4 and when it was I was feeling really bad - hair falling out, gaining weight, being mentally and physically tired, heart palpitations. My periods were irregular.
    I am on synthetic meds now ( where I live it is impossible to get anything else ) and my TSH is kept < 1. I'm not at the top of my game yet but I am slowly getting there ( I hope ).
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm with Allergicto here. To derive the very best from any medication is to take it exactly as prescribed. All medications works to reduce your tsh because your body is not scavenging about for what it needs. If you were taking your 150 mg Armour every other day effectively your dose is 75mg, if it were less frequent obviously the effective dose would be less too, so your tsh would be higher. I would be doing my body a disservice were I to be irregular with my medication. Any medic can only assume you are taking the amount you are prescribed. From the numbers you provided the Amour is not serving you well, though it is probably your lack of commitment to your treatment which is failing you based on guess work.

Do you know if your Hypothyroidism is because your thyroid function is low or do you have thyroid antibodies which would make the condition Hashimoto's Thyroiditis? (The body for some reason best known to itself, there are many, produces antibodies to your thyroid because it confuses it with something which should not be present). Many primary care providers do not test for antibodies. Here in the UK we have a one size fits all treatment regime for all hypothyroid situations, synthetic unless you are able to go private or find a someone on the NHS brave enough to listen. Many here (MFP) would give their eye teeth to have the treatment you are supposed to be on. (I know lack of finance can be a driving issue)

It is possible the t3 in your Amour will be being more beneficial to you if you have Hashi because Hashi particularly comes with a difficulty turning t4 the precursor into t3 the active form because of the antibodies. Without antibodies there are a different set of problems. Armour, a natural product also has t1 and t2 which also play a part in thyroid function but as yet are not quantified. Knot knowing everything about you I do not think I would rush too much to take levo or similar because it is t4 only. Were the synthetic the Endo had in mind synthetic t3 this might just be different.

You say you are seeing a Naturapath in August. Your preferred treatment option. You have done your research into this person. I think, putting myself into your position, I would take the Amour daily as prescribed. Hold out till this appointment, be prepared for more blood letting for probably a full thyroid panel to achieve your most appropriate results. Then take life from there.

A word of warning. Suddenly putting yourself back up to the 150 mg of Amour particularly if your average is less than 75 mg you may find yourself with some hyper reactions because your body is not used to it. Keep a record from now so you know what your are doing and note any changes you experience so your information is spot on for your new Naturapath. Please read up on Hyper reaction so were the worst to happen you know what is going on and seek proper medical advice. Then please, think well about how you see your future. All the best.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    TSH 25.2 ( yep, it's high)
    Free T4: 0.68
    Free T3: 2.8

My endocrinologist wanted to put me on a synthetic. I am not ready to go there.

I am going to go to an actual Naturopath in August. I want to treat my thyroid with NDT and a Naturopath can successfully do this.

I take 150mg Armour. Honestly, I have been hit or miss with the medication.

I don't understand. Armour is NDT—but you're not taking it?!

Your pituitary is making TSH because your thyroid isn't making enough T4 + T3. Armour is desiccated pig (or pig + cow) thyroid glands, which contain all the T's. If you take your meds as instructed by your endocrinologist, your T4 + T3 will go up, and your TSH will come down.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If that were a typo, and you're on 150mcg Synthroid, I'd still say the same thing: take your meds! Synthroid (levothyroxine) is synthetic T4, which the human body can convert to T3.

Synthetic may not be as "good" as NDT, but it's still 100x better than being unmedicated.