Why do the doctors even bother with seeing us?

Options
13»

Replies

• allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    @dramaqueen45 - my current endo considers TSH of 2 to be "upper end" and likes keeping me < 1. I'm 40 yo, 5'7''.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    A conversation with a new endocrinologist ( at a leading clinic in Hamburg ) yesterday:
    HER: So how do you feel?
    ME: Fairly stable, but still experiencing brain fog and digestive problems. And my weight is unpredictable.
    HER: ( smiles ) So basically you are fine!!
    ME: Could you suggest something to improve my situation?
    HER: Oh well you could get some supplements from a drugstore but I personally don't believe in them.

*** And then she carried on with an ultrasound and managed to overlook a node that my small - town doctor spotted half a year ago. And then she suggested that we could see each other in "a year or so" ***

Well I will stick with what my small town doctor suggests, but I will still go to Hamburg because they give you an extensive blood test that is worth the 20€ journey. Otherwise complete fail.

Find a different endocrinologist. I have no TSH, have hashis, dead thyroid, so like no thyroid. I'm on a replacement dose of naturethroid. I am going to try some of those supplements from the drugstore because I was told to try them by my doctors, like vitamins. For digestive issues try probiotics, those seem to help. I also cut back on the dairy and the grains a bit, and that seems to help tummy troubles too.

But in the business of nodules and the quality of care-- find a different doctor if possible
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Like the OP I also live in Europe and there is a conspiracy of care which sets out to restrict all hypothyroid patients to t4 medication only in the EU. They make no distinction between those who are hypo without antibodies and those with Hashimoto's for whom many wider world medics agree t3 supplementation in some form straight or combination gives best relief. BTW Natural thyroid products are a definite NO. Very occasionally one may find someone who will go out on a limb and treat according to symptoms most often this person will be a private practitioner, not covered by a nations own health service. A Medic within the Health Services may compromise their licence to practice were they to follow their instincts. Most who did/do so were trained in the days of Natural Thyroid Treatment only, pre tsh etc.

This t4 only conspiracy is reinforced by restrictions on which tests are permitted. If hypo thyroid issues are most likely to be an issue, not borderline, then tsh, t4 are permitted. If you are very fortunate t3 and antibodies are tested but support is not always available. Private healthcare is not an option for many who have to contribute first to the healthcare supplied by their countries out of their taxation. Private = privilege.

I think most of us particularly with Hashi's would like to have had access to tests for, TSH, T4, FT4 FT3, reverse T3, adrenal stress, cortisol, DHEA, SigA, nutritional elements, Vit D, b12, Ferritin, anemia profile, then from the Immunological aspect the most up to date tests for "food allergies" measuring the cellular reactions to both Ige and non-Ige mediated reactions, and possible underlying inflammation from digestive imbalances and yeasts, as extras appropriate gender profile, including life stage relevance for females. Then to have access to someone who could point out how we can address our personal issues and our regain or maintain what good health we have. To incorporate all these tests the costs would be about, £2000 UK pounds per person at private prices. (a well funded hospital lab could provide better value) From a National perspective I see this as a reasonable up front cost to ensure every patient can go on to maintain an active, productive part in everyday society, improving the individuals sense of well-being-self-worth. Future costs of physical and mental disability will be radically reduced. European short shortsightedness. Penny wise Pound foolish. Oh! for the day when we can stop banging our heads against brick walls.

Needless to say I would also ban all metal dental fillings. The dental profession know the problems but some countries bind them to silence in the name of price. Silver, tin another metals form a large part of metal fillings, Mercury forms the greatest part at apx 50% of each filling and off gasses fumes when you breath, chew, drink, clench or grind your teeth. The more filling you have the worse the problem. You do not need to be allergic to experience problems. Strict protocols need to be in place to remove to replace the things too.

Why do doctors bother to see us? Because they have to! But many know they are bound by ridiculous constraints and hide behind endo's who grew up with the glories of tsh. Others who know better become stymied by those self same endo's.