your fave make-ahead lunches?

Options
pugetsound
pugetsound Posts: 12 Member
Hi folks!

I've been building a nice stockpile of LCHF recipes to try, but none that would really translate well to a make-ahead lunch to bring to work. In my office I only have access to a fridge and microwave so I can't really do anything fancy. I usually pack simple lunches for myself and my husband the night before.

Other than leftovers from the previous night's dinner...what sort of things do you bring for lunch that fit within LCHF and keep you satisfied?

Replies

• bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love leftovers but it can be a bit boring after awhile so I've begun to try other things. Tuna salad with guacamole (1 can tuna and about 2 tablespoons of my homemade guac instead of mayo) is one my favorites, I usually use sliced cucumbers as "chips" to scoop it and it typically comes to about 2 net carbs for me.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I usually do something an appetizer plate with olives, meats, cheeses, and some raw veggies. Lately, though, I've been doing chicken salad with different mixins. I've been using salad dressings for the liquid and then add in things like cheese, nuts, bacon, pepperoni, olives, sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, just whatever I feel like.
  • Jenniferstone86
    Jenniferstone86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I make salads a lot! mostly with creamy dressings, but be careful of their sodium levels. Recently its been chicken, Mexican cheese with a southwest dressing, or chicken Caesar with bacon.
    Simple prep items could be a protein and some veggies, or soups. Its hard for me to be creative with meals so i eat a lot of salad and roasted veggies.

Good Luck!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I do salads and leftovers a lot. Egg drop soup is a new favorite that I can make a batch of and portion out over the week, as well.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Some cottage cheese and a few berries(pick your type frozen or not) or yogurt instead of the cottage cheese. You can put them into a little container and have a parfait of sorts, very satisfying snack/lunch component. I also like egg salad, just mayo, eggs and some pickles for dipping. Also batch cooked hamburger soup, ground beef, beef broth, sour cream, cheese and green onions.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    My favorites are soup, stew, chili, meatballs, casseroles, stuffed peppers, etc. I just freeze them in individual containers and pull one when I'm heading to work.
  • CoinOperatedKitten
    CoinOperatedKitten Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been having a Chocolate Atkins shake, Boar's head pepperoni slices, and extra sharp cheddar cheese sticks mmmm.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I eat salads a lot with some protein, today I had baked salmon, or parma ham with goat cheese or goat cheese and chorizo, crispy chicken breasts with Flavorgod seasonings.
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm loving 'quiche' which is (per portion) 2 whipped and seasoned eggs with a dash milk, 100g cream cheese, 120g chopped fish/bacon/ham/ whatever. Cooked for 45 mins. Amazing!!!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Tuna salad or chicken salad wrapped in lettuce leaves, preferably with some avocado. My newest and easiest favorite is just some thinly sliced lunch meat (I like roasted chicken), chunks of cheese, and cream cheese, with some crisp lettuce leaves, all rolled up together. A few of these fills me up.
  • KaseyDH83
    KaseyDH83 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The last couple of weeks I've been making a salad with two chopped boiled eggs, two slices of bacon (crumbled), chopped red onion, an avocado and salt. I usually pack a knife in my lunchbox and chop up the avocado right before I'm ready to eat so it doesn't turn brown, but I have everything else already prepared. It's delicious and satisfying.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My summer go-to for work lunch is typically a large salad with protein & fat (my fav is salmon & avocado with honey ginger white balsamic vinegar & sesame oil). Gets a little dull sometimes so am thankful for leftovers when they are available (I only have a fridge and microwave too).

To switch things up, I do tuna or egg salad in "lettuce boats" but I find them messy to eat by hand.

I also like to use ibreathimhungry.com Cream Cheese Pancakes as wraps (skip stevia & cinnamon, add garlic & onion powder). The recipe makes 2 wraps rather than 4 pancakes. Delicious with sauteed asparagus, bacon & goat cheese.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    KaseyDH83 wrote: »
    The last couple of weeks I've been making a salad with two chopped boiled eggs, two slices of bacon (crumbled), chopped red onion, an avocado and salt. I usually pack a knife in my lunchbox and chop up the avocado right before I'm ready to eat so it doesn't turn brown, but I have everything else already prepared. It's delicious and satisfying.

Mmm, I love bacon n eggs, but never thought to put them in a salad for some reason. Yum.

I tend to go for a protein shake made with 1scoop of Optimum Nutrition Gold Whey (caramel or vanilla flavours), black espresso coffee and 1 tbsp HWC. I sometimes add .5 to 1 tbsp MCT/coconut oil to it for extra energy.

But I'm not much of a lunch eater usually. I prefer to have the above protein shake or a Bulletproof Coffee for breakfast and skip lunch, or do a 18+hr fast every few days, so no breakfast or lunch.

On particularly hungry days, like today, I might have breakfast and then something like a hard boiled egg or 2, chopped with 1 tsp mayonnaise per egg, and rolled up with lots of watercress inside a slice or 2 of ham, with half a pickle on the side maybe, or a stick of celery with Franks Hot Sauce.

I like to save a good portion of my calories for my dinner and post- workout protein shake with 1 tbsp HWC as dessert, so I try to avoid lunch in general if hunger allows, and if not I try to see it as time for a snack to get me through til dinner. This won't work for everyone but I feel more denied if I don't have enough calories left for a proper cooked (keto) dinner with my family each evening.

I've found that eating less at breakfast and lunch has helped prepare my body for the occasional water fast. I couldn't go 3 hrs without eating before I went keto, otherwise I started to feel like cr@p, but stretching out times between meals and missing the odd meal has helped me retrain my appetite and taught myself to recognise real physical hunger cues over eating for the mind.

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    My new favorite lunch.....fasting ! And it's so easy to pack ! Actually I just take BPC in a thermos and an 8 cup jug of water to work. I'm good until supper even if I have to cook.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I make salads a lot! mostly with creamy dressings, but be careful of their sodium levels. Recently its been chicken, Mexican cheese with a southwest dressing, or chicken Caesar with bacon.
    Simple prep items could be a protein and some veggies, or soups. Its hard for me to be creative with meals so i eat a lot of salad and roasted veggies.

Good Luck!

Why be careful of their sodium levels? Salt isn't harmful, that's low fat high carb thinking. You need salt on Keto.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    ^depends on the person, actually. Too much salt can be harmful to the lymph system and it doing its job in lots of people. You need some salt on any diet, but not everyone can just eat it ad lib style without consequence.