Blisters....grrrrr

Options
Equus5374
Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
I have one area on my left foot that constantly blisters (it's the ball of the left foot). I think it's due to the rocking motion of my footfall pattern. I have tried EVERYTHING possible, from chafing creams to powders, deodorant stick, nylon composite socks, gel foot pads, and taping. The taping actually works fairly well and I use it on long runs, but I can blister with the tape, too. I run in a neutral shoe because I over- and under-pronate. I've tried many different types of shoes and find the neutrals just work best.

Is there anything any of you would recommend? I've thought about a flatter shoe, which might reduce the rocking motion. I've also wondered if seeing a podiatrist might help.

Replies

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Only with one shoe or with different shoes? First thought is thick wool socks for more padding and tighter fit.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was going to suggest different socks too. SmartWool and Injinji work pretty well for me. Have you been to a local running store and talked to the people there? Most of them have seen every possible running problem come through the store, so they probably have the best advice.

Maybe try these? http://www.rei.com/product/784544/thorlo-experia-running-socks-womens#tab-reviews
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing, on both feet. I wear the double-layered wright socks and wear through the outer layer in about 6 weeks exactly where I get the blisters. I think it happens because I have too much of a push off and a long slow stride. I am working on shorter quicker steps, but it is tough to change and feels very unnatural.
  • Equus5374
    Options
    I've been to many running stores and they all tell me to try the same things I already have. I've used the latest and greatest in scientific breakthrough formulas for chafing/blistering, and those don't work. I blister wearing any shoe. I might try the wool socks, but I don't think it's a padding issue. It's the rubbing motion of the skin against whatever it lies near (because of my footfall pattern). With the gel pads, there's a little less rubbing. I use the nylon composites because they wick moisture away. I've significantly shortened my stride, too, which has helped in other aspects of my running. Thanks for the advice!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the double-layered socks? They are the only thing that has worked at all for me. I still get blisters when I go over an hour and a half, but it's better. I do have to replace them every six weeks though because I wear through the one layer. But to me it shows that they're helping, because that would be my outer layer of skin otherwise.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Do you not build up calluses? I have specific rub spots, but whenever I get into a training cycle they build up into calluses and I don't have to worry about them anymore. Doesn't make for pretty feet (I'm generally pretty embarrassed at yoga class...) but it's nice to run without the pain!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    alikonda wrote: »
    Do you not build up calluses? I have specific rub spots, but whenever I get into a training cycle they build up into calluses and I don't have to worry about them anymore. Doesn't make for pretty feet (I'm generally pretty embarrassed at yoga class...) but it's nice to run without the pain!

Me too. My blisters have pretty much turned into calluses and I don't have to worry about them so much anymore. I think it's one of those painful things you endure for a while and then it's over with. I remember having issues for about a year with blisters and it was not very fun. Hope they go away soon for you!
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    moleskin, then put antifriction stick on the moleskin so the sock doesnt pull it off. Works like a champ for my occasional heel blisters.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Spraying my foot with benzoin aerosol spray and immediately putting on injinji socks has always worked best for me. The benzoin causes your foot to become sticky and the socks stick in place, so any friction is between the sock and shoe, not your skin and sock. If you wait for the benzoin to dry it will be too late and you will have an impossible time getting your toes into place. Hope this helps. I order the spray from metro medical online. I also think there must be some fit issue with your shoe- is the whole ball of your foot tender even when you don't get to the point of blistering?

• Equus5374
    Options
    I blister right under the existing callouses, as well as around them. Every time I run, it's new blisters. I'm interested in trying the benzoin spray, thanks for the recommendation. Does it ruin your socks? I tried NuSkin the other day and did not blister as badly on a 10-mile run. The balls of my feet are not sore. They just blister.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    I blister right under the existing callouses, as well as around them. Every time I run, it's new blisters. I'm interested in trying the benzoin spray, thanks for the recommendation. Does it ruin your socks? I tried NuSkin the other day and did not blister as badly on a 10-mile run. The balls of my feet are not sore. They just blister.

I'm in the same boat. I don't notice it while I run, but they're definitely there afterward. I try and put on as much BodyGlide as possible and generally just suck it up.
  • Equus5374
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I don't notice it while I run, but they're definitely there afterward. I try and put on as much BodyGlide as possible and generally just suck it up. [/quote]

Yah, I'm in the suck-it-up crowd, too. When I do long runs, I tape (I've heard even using duct tape works!). I use silk medical tape and find I don't blister as badly because the tape acts as a layer of skin.

• jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Have you tried running barefoot? If you don't want to go that crazy or it wouldn't be particularly safe to (ie you are a trail runner), you might try Tuf-Foot. I've never used it, but I know of others in the barefoot, minimalist circle who do. I've read mixed reviews, but mostly positive.
  • Equus5374
    Options
    I ran a half yesterday and taped my bad foot with Durapore silk medical tape. Hardly any blisters!! I also wore two pair of nylon socks.