Checking sugar BEFORE meals?

Options
gaelicstorm26
gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
My regular doctor referred me to an endo because I had some recent not-so-great bloodwork. I was only diagnosed with Type II in April of 2014 and my most recent tests show that I'm already showing early signs of kidney damage. My regular doctor feels that it is unusual for this to happen so quickly and helped me to set up an appointment with the local endo. I don't go until September; however, they sent a packed with sheets for me to record my blood sugar readings. On the sheet, they ask for the readings BEFORE meals. I've never tested that way before. Has anyone done that? I'm planning to continue testing after meals as well so that I know how different food affect me but the prospect of testing 7-8 times a day is...well...tiring.

Has anyone tested this way before?

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    My regular doctor referred me to an endo because I had some recent not-so-great bloodwork. I was only diagnosed with Type II in April of 2014 and my most recent tests show that I'm already showing early signs of kidney damage. My regular doctor feels that it is unusual for this to happen so quickly and helped me to set up an appointment with the local endo. I don't go until September; however, they sent a packed with sheets for me to record my blood sugar readings. On the sheet, they ask for the readings BEFORE meals. I've never tested that way before. Has anyone done that? I'm planning to continue testing after meals as well so that I know how different food affect me but the prospect of testing 7-8 times a day is...well...tiring.

tiring? More like painful. My finger tips have little black dots from testing 6 times a day.
    You really get to know what your food choices do to your glucose #s. After you figure out your
    "friendly" foods you can cut down on the testing if you want.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When I was first diagnosed, my doctor gave me 3 months to get my act together before starting diabetes meds. He told me to test once a day and the dietician gave me a schedule of rotation to go through. It didn't take me long to learn that measuring fasting on Monday, post breakfast on Tuesday, ... taught me very little and I started doing sets before & after some meals and "eating to the meter." My results: substituting whole wheat pasta for regular pasta made a change so small it wasn't significant. Substituting an extra helping of broccoli for the pasta with butter & cheese sauce to bring the calories back up made a substantial difference in bg readings for me. At 3 months my A1C and weight were down enough that my doctor said "just keep doing what you're doing." For the past few months I've been doing a set of 7 tests once a week. Now that I'm satisfied that I can maintain a bg in the 90s for an entire day I'm considering changing to 3 consecutive sets of 7 once a month. Of course none of this applies to anyone on insulin or any other medication which can lower blood glucose levels to an unsafe level. It also helps that last year's 220 pounds is now 150 pounds.
  • theayn
    theayn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The seven tests a day schedule is fairly routine when you're starting out. Like KeithF6250, I rotate the tests, but I choose a part of the schedule each day. I'll measure right before a meal, then two hours afterwards, as well as measuring my fasting result first thing in the morning and my final reading right before bed. As mentioned by other posters, this lets you see what specific meals are doing to your BG readings, and make adjustments accordingly. The once a day tests are usually only specified if there is an insurance company or government agency covering the costs of your test strips and lancets. It isn't enough to really teach you anything, but it keeps their costs down.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    I believe that my doctor only wants me to test before meals. That's okay by me because 2x/day is plenty of times to poke myself, thank you very much.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

Before getting the packet from the endo I was testing 4 times daily (fasting, post-breakfast, post-lunch, and post-dinner) with additional testing if I ate something new as a snack and thought I should test after two hours to see if it was a safe food for me. Insurance is not a problem, they will pay for my test strips. I'm just going to need a new prescription as I'm on my last tube of 50!

So another question! As I'm now moving to before and after meal testing, which is a better measurement, my one-hour post meal reading or a two-hour post meal reading? I know that the one hour can give me a better idea of my spikes, but I've also read/heard a lot about the timing of those spikes being difficult to predict. If I'm going to test 7 (or more) times a day, I want to be sure I'm making the most of the data. The one nice thing is that my fasting poke doubles as fasting BS and before breakfast. :wink:

Thanks in advance!
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

I test 6-8 times per day--upon waking up (must be done within several minutes, maybe 15-20 minutes, of getting out of bed to precede the body's "sugar dump" from the liver--otherwise, my blood sugar reading will be 20 mg/dL higher), before each meal, 60-90 minutes after first bite of each meal (i.e. where my blood sugar peak seems to occur) and right before bed. I don't test with small snacks, just meals.

I'll test on any of my fingers--on their flat surface, both sides, the tips, alternating to different locations so the other locations can heal. I've also found it helpful to try different lancets (i.e. poking needles) available on amazon. My 28 gauge (i.e. thickest needle) lancet produces more blood than needed so I switched to a 33 gauge (i.e. thinnest needle) lancet and that was far less painful but sometimes I didn't get enough blood. Now I'm using a 30 gauge lancet and that's working well with just a little more pain than the 33 gauge lancet. I still occasionally use the 33 gauge lancet since that works well on my finger tips which are more sensitive to pin pricks.

I avoided doing my own blood sugar testing for decades and now it just a regular part of my meal routine that I should have been doing all along. It has be very helpful with determining just how my body reacts to what & how much of whatever I'm eating with regards to blood sugar levels. A "side effect" of keeping my blood sugar peaks at decent levels (for me that's < 140 mg/dL or not too far above that amount) has been reduced cravings for "bad" carbs (white bread, pasta, fries, sugary things, etc.) which made it easier to make good food choices (& portion sizes) that also led to weight loss (over 50 pounds so far) without too much difficulty.
  • pseudandry
    pseudandry Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like to test before meals to see if I'm "truly" hungry. If my BG is high (or at least not low), I can put off a snack 'cause I know that my body doesn't "need" the extra food right now. I usually have a glass of water ... For so many of us, thirst mimics hunger... and see how I feel in 30-60 minutes (and test again if necessary). It's saved me from snacking when I didn't need to or eating lunch or dinner too early and then being hungry again later in the evening. (Type II - oral meds only)
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    pseudandry wrote: »
    I like to test before meals to see if I'm "truly" hungry. If my BG is high (or at least not low), I can put off a snack 'cause I know that my body doesn't "need" the extra food right now. I usually have a glass of water ... For so many of us, thirst mimics hunger... and see how I feel in 30-60 minutes (and test again if necessary). It's saved me from snacking when I didn't need to or eating lunch or dinner too early and then being hungry again later in the evening. (Type II - oral meds only)

I usually test before meals as well, but I never thought of the 'thirst' thing. Great tip. I also test before bedtime, some days.