Bad Breath?

Options
keemra
keemra Posts: 34 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
I am new to the forums, so probably should post a nicer topic to begin with, but this is something that I really want to know. Ever since I started eating low carb, my teeth and tongue seem to be coated with a gunky "moss", and I have bad breath. Even though I brush my teeth about 6 times a day, the problem persists. Is this due to my diet, or something totally independent? I do have an appointment with my dentist next week, but being in Japan, I seriously doubt that he will be familiar with paleo or low carb diet regimes.

Replies

• kellyb1285
    kellyb1285 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to hear the feedback as I'm the same so can't be isolated
  • keemra
    Options
    kellyb1285 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear the feedback as I'm the same so can't be isolated

It's good to know I am not alone.

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Maybe try tongue scraping, with a stainless steel tongue scraper you can buy online or at a health food store. You use it first thing in the morning and at night. The liver works hardest at eliminating toxins at night, many of which are released into the mouth, so you want to scrape it out. Tongue scraping also helps prevent respiratory illnesses.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Is the bad breath a sign of ketosis?
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Is the bad breath a sign of ketosis?

That was going to be my comment. It is possibly due to Ketosis.

As your body burns fat instead of carbs for fuel, it releases ketones that do exit your body in the moisture of your breath. As a matter of fact, much of your weight loss is via your breath :)

Drink more water. A mild, natural, mouthwash may help. Gums and mints are not the best idea as they add cals and often lots of artificial crud.
  • keemra
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I think it probably is ketosis. I have been keeping my carbs between 30 - 80% and fats above 50. I will try the tongue scraping and more water.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    my other question would be do you eat dairy. Dairy causes tonsil stones that will cause bad breath no matter what until you get your tonsils removed, I have this issue and if I eat dairy, I have learned not to smell my own breath. LOL
  • keemra
    Options
    my other question would be do you eat dairy. Dairy causes tonsil stones that will cause bad breath no matter what until you get your tonsils removed, I have this issue and if I eat dairy, I have learned not to smell my own breath. LOL
    I understand the tonsil stones because I have experienced that too, but not this time. I was totally unaware of the cause, though.
    As of 5 weeks ago, when I changed my eating to paleo/primal, I quit dairy. I am celiac, so have been gluten free for over 30 years. I have done fine with that, until about a year ago when I began having a lot of trouble with autoimmune symptoms, including diarrhea, joint pain and skin rashes. I love dairy and eat a lot of it, so was really reluctant to give it up. But I did!!!! Now, most of my symptoms have gone away.

I have noticed that after diligently brushing/scraping my tongue as well as cleaning my teeth frequently during the day, my mossy mouth and bad breath seem to be getting better.

I didn't lose any weight last week, so am not sure if I am presently in ketosis or not, but I will continue with what I am doing because I am feeling better.
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    @keemra ketosis is carbs less than 50 GRAMS usually not 30-80%. I hope that was a typo!
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I normally drink about 3 liters of water a day. but I still get bad breath (even with brushing my teeth quite often) Altho i notice it is less "bad" when i drink more water , so i do use mints or gum but i am careful about using them...
  • keemra
    Options
    pope705 wrote: »
    @keemra ketosis is carbs less than 50 GRAMS usually not 30-80%. I hope that was a typo!
    Ooops, that WAS a typo. I did mean 30 - 80 grams. My carbs usually run from 10 to 25% of my total calories. I know that isn't really extreme, but I am careful about the kind of fats I consume. In August, when I am in the US, I will get some ketosis test strips, or maybe even a finger prick meter if it isn't too expensive.

• SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When I eat organic and unprocessed foods, this doesn't happen. When I do then this is one thing that happens. Try taking a look at your diet and see if there are foods that are possibly contributing to this and then swap those out for healthier versions. Hope that helps!
  • iwillrun2
    iwillrun2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely no expert on this subject but I wonder if oil pulling (oil swishing) would help. I have tried it before but don't do it regularly. Here is just a general link about it that I googled. You could probably find a more reputable site, but it explains it. It is supposed to be great for oral health.
    http://authoritynutrition.com/oil-pulling-coconut-oil/
  • keemra
    Options
    iwillrun2 wrote: »
    I'm definitely no expert on this subject but I wonder if oil pulling (oil swishing) would help. I have tried it before but don't do it regularly. Here is just a general link about it that I googled. You could probably find a more reputable site, but it explains it. It is supposed to be great for oral health.
    http://authoritynutrition.com/oil-pulling-coconut-oil/
    Thanks for the link. I use coconut oil a lot, so I could add this as well. The bad breath problem seems to have mostly disappeared on its own, but I sometimes have it in the morning when I first wake up. I will try some oil pulling and see what effect it has.

• Sharbysyd
    Sharbysyd Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been doing oil pulling for over a year and I really like it. I actually tried it the first time several years ago and wasn't able to tolerate it, but this time I was able to. If you have any trouble with the oil at first, just keep trying. I feel like my mouth is so much cleaner when I do oil pulling. I usually do it first thing in the morning for 20 minutes while I do other things (i.e. get ready for work) and that gets it out of the way early. It's best to do it before eating anything.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Sharbysyd wrote: »
    I've been doing oil pulling for over a year and I really like it. I actually tried it the first time several years ago and wasn't able to tolerate it, but this time I was able to. If you have any trouble with the oil at first, just keep trying. I feel like my mouth is so much cleaner when I do oil pulling. I usually do it first thing in the morning for 20 minutes while I do other things (i.e. get ready for work) and that gets it out of the way early. It's best to do it before eating anything.

Have you actually noticed any differences? Have read about the many benefits of oil pulling and tried it for a bit, but didn't see any results. Perhaps I didn't stick with it long enough?

• kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The coating you mentioned made me think immediately of yeast. I wouldn't think you'd get that on low carb though.
  • smallfries78
    smallfries78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try doing a parasite cleanse ( I know, I know, it's a "taboo" topic and everyone thinks they don't have parasites, but we ALL do in some form or another). Seriously, a parasite cleanse, and if you can, a liver cleanse after that. Curezone.com has a ton of good information on both topics.

Another remedy I'd recommend would be oil pulling. I've been oil pulling for some time now and can tell a difference in how my mouth and my teeth look and smell.
    And a thumbs-up to drinking more water (between meals, at least 30 min before you eat, and 45 min after). Let us know about your progress!