Cramping legs, foot and hands solution

Options
deoxy4
deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
I am in my early 60's and have had some issues with leg, foot and hand cramping for a few years.

I started supplementing with 400 mg magnesium glycinate powder half and hour before bed time and my leg and foot cramps have resolved. I also find that I get to sleep much faster and rarely wake up during the night.

My hand cramping was also improved but would surface when I used my hands for extended periods. My fingers cramped after typing for extended periods. They would also lock when doing auto repair, lawn mower maintenance, or yard work. I also experienced some joint stiffness in one hand joint which may be the early onset of some arthritis.

I found some references to "magnesium oil lotion" and followed it up. There are many recipes online. Many include shea butter, coconut oil, water, and magnesium chloride. I was a bit skeptical about the effectiveness of transdermal absorption of magnesium.

I have been using it for about a year. I apply a generous amount to my hands, legs, arms, and upper torso in the morning. The results have been outstanding. I rarely get hand cramps and joint soreness is greatly improved. I keep a small container of the lotion with me at all times. Whenever I experience cramping or joint soreness an application usually does the trick.

One tip however, is not to apply to broken skin or freshly shaved areas. I applied "magnesium oil lotion" to my neck area after shaving. The "sting" is very uncomfortable for a few minutes.

Replies

• finnster36
    finnster36 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been waking up with terrible leg cramps and have to walk them off. Totally forgot i had magnesium oil. Im gonna try that out tonight!
  • deoxy4
    Options
    Please report back with your experience, good or bad.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I had muscle spasms but no pain awhile back and was found to be very dehydrated even though I drank plenty of water. I had been supplementing with Magnesium Citrate but added Potassium Citrate and it stopped.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Transdermal magnesium is not a problem...it's called Magnesium Sulfate AKA Epsom salt. In general, any small molecules < 500 g/mole are desirable for transdermal absorption as well as being lipophillic have < 5 ionic groups. Magnesium salts are generally so low in MW that lipophillicity doesn't matter (the same instance holds true for EtOH ("alcohol") for crossing the Blood Brain Barrier). Heat helps as well in opening/vasodilation of skin pores.

Be weary of topical Magnesium Chloride spray...I highly doubt most formulas are isotonic and will burn like hell...MgCl2 is the same Mg salt found in stomach acid as well. Same problem seems apparent with your Mg oil

From extensive past use of various forms of Magnesium, Mg-citrate per oral 200-400mg before sleeping is a good option...dose isn't too high to cause diarrhea and the citrate salt is the most bioavailable form (coincidentally, citrates are preferred for people who have undergone bariatric surgery due to impaired absorption)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've leiminated leg/calf cramps totally..and some were really amazing in their ability to strangle me with pain. (even started having back-of-thigh cramps that felt like a bigsass badger BIT me and hung on) too much calcium without balance of Mg can do this..one tightens (Ca), one relaxes(Mg) muscles..

The oil is not oil, just concentrated Mg in water…and if you live near the ocean you can just stand in it for 30+ min and get Mg that way..or do a foot bath of Epsom Salts.

I buy both spray and Mg oil… and use them together …liberally apply after a shower, coating my feet and heels, and often at night before bed I use it again on my hip, knees and feet….

I do take only a liquid ionic Mg because I have kidney issues, and OTC pill forms either cause a laxative effect, or are a waste of money by not being absorbed >50%… and I do not need the calcium added to many Mg brands..

Mg does so many MORE amazing things like blood sugar stabilization, energy level, sleep, and 300 other functions..pretty critical mineral and yet most of us are way too low. (320-400 is normal, but 800 recommend for health issues, and for LC diets it really does stop the cramping!

do a search on its benefits and learn more….

• Thurley160
    Thurley160 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you think it would help with plantar fasciitis? I need relief badly!
  • deoxy4
    Options
    Thurley160 wrote: »

An Epsom salt soak may help alleviate the pain.
  • Sharbysyd
    Sharbysyd Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on how the magnesium has helped. I am planning to make some magnesium spray soon. I currently take Natural Calm and it helps with pains and helps me to sleep but I feel it makes me agitated sometimes too so I've been thinking of trying the oil instead. I've heard that the topical magnesium absorbs better than ingesting it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

There are a series of stretches you can do several times a day to help with healing. Don't wear heels at all. I suffered it for over a decade before kicking it to the curb. But I still have to be careful!
  • Thurley160
    Thurley160 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    deoxy4 wrote: »

I just received my 5lb. bag from Amazon, I purchased it to kill weeds... I will try it on my feet as well! Thanks. ;)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thurley, you can buy the Mg spray/oil in many HFS..not expensive…not sure how you can super concentrate it to get "oil"..but the epsom salts should still provide absorption, not sure if it does help plant issues tho..but JUST getting enough Mg >800 mg may improve the problem systemically..good luck!
  • deoxy4
    Options
    deoxy4 wrote: »

I just received my 5lb. bag from Amazon, I purchased it to kill weeds... I will try it on my feet as well! Thanks. ;)

Epsom salts are very inexpensive if you have a Costco membership or know someone with a membership. 2x6 lb pouches are $7.99, that is 66 cents per pound.