Weigh In!

Replies

• chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I think my browser IE is the problem with the spreadsheet. I had the same problem on another challenge and when I opened in with Firefox, no problem anymore. I have been at a plateau for 6 weeks so I'm getting frustrated. No reason to update the spreadsheet when I haven't lost a stinking pound!! I really have got to get serious and get back to daily logging my food, as I've been slacking the past couple of weeks.

On the same subject of scale weight, I have a question for you ladies -

I just bought a new scale. My old one only displays in .5 increments and I wanted one that had .2 increments. I hopped on both scales this morning to compare. On the old scale I weigh 165.5 and I'm 164.0 on the new one. I was planning to use the new scale from here on out, but I know I haven't lost 1.5 pounds!! What to do? Should I change my weight on MFP as if I had lost? Not sure what my ACTUAL weight is anymore. Maybe the new scale is inaccurate? I just don't know.

It's possible that the new scale is slightly more accurate since it's measuring in smaller increments. I personally would change the weight in MFP to reflect the new scale weight. However, if you are still unsure, try this. Weigh yourself like you normally do on both scales the next few times and compare. Are they consistently off by about the same amount or do they both jump around? If consistent, go with the new scales weight. If not, see if you can identify factors influencing changes (I.e uneven floor, rocking on scale, not weighing at the same time for both scales, etc). Let us know what you find out! I'm curious! :smile:

I second this!!! I'd totally give in to weighing less, but also I soul check out reviews of accuracy for both scales to see which one is likely to be more accurate!!! Good luck!!!
  • blitzbis
    blitzbis Posts: 366 Member
    I had been weighing in on my WiiFit and due to some malfunction, it's not working anymore so I changed to my regular scale. What I did was log in the regular scale's results and just plan on using that scale. It may initially show a gain or loss, but once you use it consistently, it will even itself out.
  • Myweightlossdiary
    Myweightlossdiary Posts: 185 Member
    I finally passed the 212 mark that I've been hovering at for several days and this morning was 211.6! So close to ONEderland! Just thought I'd share :smile:
  • blitzbis
    edited July 2015
    I finally passed the 212 mark that I've been hovering at for several days and this morning was 211.6! So close to ONEderland! Just thought I'd share :smile:

That is so awesome. It's nice when it finally starts to move! Congratulations. You will have to tell me what ONEderland looks like when you get there. Do you want us to add this weight to the spreadsheet for this week's weigh in day?
  • blitzbis
    Well, I executive decision-ed it and updated. You are doing so great!
  • Myweightlossdiary
    blitzbis wrote: »
    Well, I executive decision-ed it and updated. You are doing so great!

Haha, thanks! Sorry I just got this now - thank you very much for updating it. I keep forgetting this group has a wonderful google spreadsheet! :smile:
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Thanks for the feedback re: the scale. It's a moot point as of last night anyway. Had my father-in-law and sister-in-law over for dinner last night. My sister-in-law saw the old scale sitting on my living room floor and before I knew it, I had offered it to her. It's probably 15 years old anyway. She has no idea what her current weight is but I would estimate she's 260-270. She was permanently laid off about 18 months ago and has probably gained 50 pounds from comfort eating and depression. I am hopeful that it will be a reality check and she can get serious about doing something about it. Her 21 year old son who still lives at home probably tops 375, so it's a whole family issue. Terrible eating habits. I want to help her with a healthy diet, but I don't want to come across as a know-it-all either.

I'm just going to go with the new scale weight and update MFP to match. Since I weighed yesterday, I'll use that weight of 164 for this week's reporting.

Congrats to everyone who had "real" losses!! :p
  • blitzbis
    So happy that you were able to do some good with your old scale. I come from a family of heavy people and I know how hard it is to change poor eating habits across a family system. Hopefully, she'll get back to feeling better about herself. We'll pray that a new job comes her way!
  • chubbard9
    So happy that you were able to do some good with your old scale. I come from a family of heavy people and I know how hard it is to change poor eating habits across a family system. Hopefully, she'll get back to feeling better about herself. We'll pray that a new job comes her way!
    I agree!!! Best of luck to your family! I have the same problems here with my family as well!
  • blitzbis
    Ok, so my toe was in the 240 water for a bit, but it dipped back into the 250 for weigh in day. However, it's barely in the 250 pool so I refuse to be dejected.
    250.8 is my weight today.
  • blitzbis
    Ok, so my toe was in the 240 water for a bit, but it dipped back into the 250 for weigh in day. However, it's barely in the 250 pool so I refuse to be dejected.
    Reprieve? I just saw that weigh in day isn't until tomorrow. I'm going to withhold updating until tomorrow.
  • chubbard9
    Don't stress it! You are working your way down!!! That's how I felt in the beginning! Now I've lost 50, but my weight has been teetering this week-buckling back down 10x harder!
  • Myweightlossdiary

I'm still not fully awake and my brain was trying to wrap my head around what you were saying. I kept asking "is she in a pool? Omg, 240 degrees is HOT and she went to 250 degrees?!!!" Then I re-read it probably 10 times before I finally "got" it. Haha! (Yes, mornings and me do not go well together. :smile: )
  • blitzbis
    Isn't it weird when something makes perfect sense in your own head but when you try to step out and see it from another's perspective it makes you wonder what else in your head is "off"?

Weight today is 250.6 Oh well.

• Myweightlossdiary
    Isn't it weird when something makes perfect sense in your own head but when you try to step out and see it from another's perspective it makes you wonder what else in your head is "off"?

Weight today is 250.6 Oh well.

Sure is! In fact, one of my doctoral classes I'm taking is talking about how important it is for leaders to have high cultural intelligence in order to be aware of differences that cross ethnic/cultural barriers. This is important not just to know what to do and not do, but it's important to see from other people's perspectives that may be different from your own.

Off topic, but it reminds me of when I was a novice teacher in a culturally diverse middle school. I recall my mentor giving me tips/suggestions and one of them was to make sure when you addressed students for misbehaving to have them look at you in the eyes when you talk to them. Well, it turns out that while looking in one's eyes when talking is a sign of respect in my culture, it's actually a sign of disrespect in others. Instead, looking away is how they show respect. I remember telling my mentor that and she said that was dumb and they should do we do while in America. What a harsh way of looking at things. I bet she wasn't that culturally intelligent. We are in a global society afterall and we all need to work together - differences and all.

By the way, you didn't say anything wrong. That was all me! Haha :smile:
  • chubbard9
    It's amazing how manycrazy stories we have!!!

Finally saw a dip in the scale again! Weight was upwards, hit 200. For one day. It's finally back down and at 196.2!!!
  • blitzbis
    chubbard9 wrote: »
    It's amazing how manycrazy stories we have!!!

Finally saw a dip in the scale again! Weight was upwards, hit 200. For one day. It's finally back down and at 196.2!!!

That is amazing. Great job. I know you are proud
  • RaeBeeBaby
    @chubbard9 - that's awesome! I bet you will never see 200+ again! Keep up the great work!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    So I have now embraced the new scale and tested it.

Test #1 - I weighed myself, then again with 5 lb dumbbell, then again with 10 lb dumbbell and it seems to be accurate to within .2 of a pound.

Test #2 - I weighed myself on Tuesday. Naked =162.2. Fully dressed with shoes =165. Then I went to a doctor appointment and got on the doctor's scale with shoes. Exactly 165!!

So the final report out for the week

Last week 164.5
    This week 162.2 (I'll take the nekkid number, LOL)
  • chubbard9
    So I have now embraced the new scale and tested it.

Test #1 - I weighed myself, then again with 5 lb dumbbell, then again with 10 lb dumbbell and it seems to be accurate to within .2 of a pound.

Test #2 - I weighed myself on Tuesday. Naked =162.2. Fully dressed with shoes =165. Then I went to a doctor appointment and got on the doctor's scale with shoes. Exactly 165!!

So the final report out for the week

Last week 164.5
    This week 162.2 (I'll take the nekkid number, LOL)

Great job hun! Beautiful numbers!!!
    @chubbard9 - that's awesome! I bet you will never see 200+ again! Keep up the great work!

Thank you! I honestly neverrr want to see 200 again!!!