What has worked best for you?

Options

Replies

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    camblin wrote: »
    I'm sure this isn't the "right" way to do it, but I set my daily calorie limit, and stick to it, regardless. If I am going to eat out or want to be able to have a drink or dessert, I cut calories earlier in the day to save
    camblin wrote: »
    For the gals going through menopause, I just wanted to mention that it isn't necessarily the metabolism killer we've been led to believe. I put on a ton of weight right before menopause, and when I decided to start MFP, I expected to fight off every ounce. As long as I don't cheat and log everything, it comes off steadily and much quicker than I expected. I was very fortunate and missed out on the mood swings and hot flashes, but my hormone levels still dropped and didn't interfer with my weight loss. If anything, I think it has been easier than when I tried to diet when I was younger. The biggest difference I see is how much harder it is to lose from my stomach and waist...but I figure that is something I can work on.

That's my story too. And after a happy period of successfuI weight loss I am just beginning menopause and it's like everything has ground to a halt. I am especially annoyed at my efforts getting belly fat to go. I am just plugging away. because of an earlier stroke I can't use any HRT products. The occasional hot flash and only one burst of homicidal rage so far. We shall see. Waiting for test results to tell me where my hormones stand, etc. But if menopause thinks it's going to beat me, it has another think coming.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    What works best for me is definitely a no bread paleo style diet. I am definitely not a fanatic and I cheat ALL the time, drink wine, eat oats and dairy and am basically not the golden girl when it comes to waving the paleo flag. But I find if I eat as close to nature as possible both my wealth and my health improve.

But here lies the problem - I don't follow it closely enough. Life gets in the way. Friends drop in or invite you to dinner and serve garlic bread or go to all the trouble of making an amazing desert. My husband is on long service leave at the moment and is a Type 1 diabetic who is extremely thin and eats all the time. Currently, it is 9am and he is having toast and jam and the smell is amazing.

C'mon will power, kick in!!!! :p

U sound like me.. Life & people ( friends ) calling in or inviting u to dinner

Let's get this will power on the bag
    We Can do this
  • BBee5064
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    The waist is the last spot for the weight to go with most people. I had a 26 inch in high school (I was never thin), been as high as 36 (maybe more, who measures when they are that fat). I now Have a 26 again and weigh less than I did in high school. Yes my metabolism is slower now in my sixties, but I just have to deal with it. Menopause wasn't fun, but again, just had to deal with it. Emo eater here, had to deal with it. Bottom line they were my excuses and when I stopped allowing excuses, ate well and started moving, I lost weight.

Wow size 26 waist.. Fabulous achievement! I'm a size 34" I've got a bit of catch on up to do :(
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Thanks BBee! Never thought I would see that again. just goes to show, it can be done!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    A 26" waist. Wow! I might have had one in high school too. I don't remember. Still, congratulations! Must be so amazing to be in better shape than you were in high school!
  • marekdds
    Options
    Thanks Nikki!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hee hee, what was the question? Oh, yeah, what worked for me. Counting calories and exercise! I found tons of new recipes that actually taste good here on the Hello Healthy blog and the daily emails. Been having fun "skinnifying" old recipes. Also skinnytaste.com. My all time favorite has to be the 37 calorie brownies (!) from Broma Bakery. (You can google them for the recipe) OMG, they are killer - more cocoa flavored than the traditional chocolate that needs to be melted. I don't know about my waist size (kudos to marekdds!), but I weigh just a few pounds more than I did in high school all those years ago.
  • Fugley01
    Fugley01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was/is attitude. I'll be 51 in September and I can still easily hop in and out of the back of my pickup truck.
    I was diagnosed type 2 diabetes 4 1/2 years ago. Didn't start taking it seriously until late last year (November ). Also high cholesterol. My Dr wanted to start me on Lipidor. I refused and said I'll lower it myself.
    In Januaryof this year, I was down from 216 in November, to 193lbs. My A1c was 7.0 and my cholesterol was 4.28.
    In June, I was down to 180.5, my A1c dropped to 5.8 and my cholesterol dropped to 2.01.
    My dietician said those results were phenomenal for just 6 months.
    I actually started MFP in late January (I think) and that's what kept me on track.
    I still haven't been able to break into the 170's yet, but I know it will happen if I just keep eating healthy. After all, it took me 50 years to get that fat, and less than a year to turn things around health wise.
    I'm aiming for another 10-15lbs weight loss and then any weight gain will be muscle from lifting.
  • SharonBrobst
    SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For the most part I had been eating healthy, or at least trying too. But little to no exercise. And with the whole middle age and hormonal changes etc I was gaining weight, not losing.

I now log my food and walk 10-12 miles a week. I have also cut way back on sugar, and white carbs due to high sugar and triglyceride levels. I am now losing. I am hoping my levels are coming down too....it will be awhile before I am tested again.
  • lisalpwall
    lisalpwall Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    marekdds, congratulations on your success! I also had a small waist in high school (24") and had a flat stomach until about 5-6 years ago, and then I face-planted into middle age! Now I have a 32" waist and I hate it...I won't even let my husband see me naked because I'm embarrassed about my stomach!

I'm a newbie to MFP (3 days) but I already realize I've got to focus on making better food choices and I have to get more active!!
  • marekdds
    Options
    I find just having this site to go to keeps me focused. May be here forever, lol.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Long duration fairly intense cardio works

I got a bicycle and ride the crap out of it

Joined the Map My Ride Challenge and am having fun with it

Yesterday was a good ride

uc4szcdo4qx3.jpg
  • BBee5064
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    I find just having this site to go to keeps me focused. May be here forever, lol.

me too :)
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Sleeping well. This seems to have a direct impact on the other things that I do. When I consistently sleep well, it's easier for me to keep stress in check, log on MFP, make healthy food choices and to be active.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    And consistency. You don't get fat after one big meal and you don't get thin or strong from one workout.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    And consistency. You don't get fat after one big meal and you don't get thin or strong from one workout.

That's a good one! I totally agree. You can't make exercise or tracking calories an optional thing. You just do it!
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    What has worked best for me is my relationships on MFPs, I can share my successes without fear that someone will sabotage my efforts. I can read about others successes and trials and tribulations. There is a great deal of information here.
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I buy about 8 - 10 pounds of vegetables a week and eat them with a protein each day. Have not thrown out any vegetables this year because I refuse to let them go bad. Avoid bread and sugar. I love cheese and eat it most every day, but avoid most other dairy products. My carbs stay low because of the calories I get from veggies protein and fats. I don't pay attention to carbs. Work at a desk, so I get no physical activity during the day. I go to the gym at least 5 times a week. The gym helps me earn more calories, stay strong and is a stress relief. I feel great after a workout. I have not been losing weight for a while because I do tend to have a beer or 2 after a workout, but I am less concerned about losing weight than I am about eating better. I'm convinced that I won't gain if I continue what I am doing and I enjoy the food I am eating. One thing about me that is important is that I love all food. Whatever I eat, I enjoy. I don't have any food restrictions except for those I place on myself by choice.
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow, I don't even want to tell you what my current waist measurement is, but it's one of my main motivators for making permanent changes. It seems 90% of my extra weight is packed around my middle, and I know that's not a good thing. (Also trying to avoid taking a statin.) I agree w/ what Mare said: Don't do anything you can't see yourself doing forever. I'm just using the diary at this point to see what I'm actually eating, not trying to hit a certain calorie or macronutrient goal, but I notice some improved choices just from being conscious of what I'm doing. (Do I really want to eat/log that?) Cheers, K
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Portion control. I'd give details but I don't want to Food Trigger anyone.