Quarterly Reflections

Options
barlovo
barlovo Posts: 151 Member
Hi everyone,

It's been three months since I joined MFP and shortly after that Cindy invited me to this group. Mostly I focus on what is in front of me today but I wanted to step back and think about what has changed and what hasn't in the past three months. If you feel inspired please join me and post your own reflections on what the past three months have been like for you.

I joined MFP three months ago because I'd been in a weight-loss plateau for a little over a year. Since joining MFP, I have lost 11.1 pounds. That brings my total weight loss to 83 pounds. My goal is 2 pounds/month, which is what my drs recommended as a healthy rate for me. So I'm losing a little faster than I should, but I'm not complaining about that!

Looking at my progress chart, it looks like a roller coaster. I've lost big some weeks and then gained most of it back the next. The overall trend is positive but I know the ups and downs are hard on my health. So one of my goals for the next three months is to even out that progress - lose a little or maintain each week.

Another thing I'm happy about is that I've developed a good meal plan that is usually satisfying within my daily calorie target. It works great if I am eating at home for every meal or bringing my own food with me to work. My next challenge is to work on how to handle eating out and traveling, where I don't have as much control and the food typically has less protein, fewer vegetables, and more oil. It's hard for me to get the nutrition I need and stay within my daily calorie target.

My other big continuing challenge is evening eating. I am so thankful for everyone who writes about this because it really helps me feel less shame and realize that it is something that many of us are struggling with. The later it gets, the more I'm hungry and the more I want to eat. I think my body confusing being tired with being hungry!

I'm going to try an experiment this week of committing not to eat after 9pm. I don't know if I will stick with it but I'm going to try for a week and see if it helps.

Looking back on the past three months the other thing I want to say is I am so grateful to have met all of you and to have such great company through the ups and downs of trying to lose weight, eat healthy, and exercise. Thank everyone!

Barb

Replies

• aaliceinw
    aaliceinw Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Barb thanks so much for creating this thread. It is a fantastic way for us to check in with ourselves and see if we are still aligned with the objectives for ourselves as well as to reflect on lessons learned.

I started my journey spontaneously on 20 Dec last year. The main thing I wanted to do was to get back my energy because I had become such a couch potato that even my brain was mushy. I've never dieted so I didn't know what I was in for.

My very two discoveries was to find out that I really, really dislike food in general and that I have an eating disorder. I have learned so much about dieting and how the body works since being here, and each day I log in, I learn so much more.

My biggest discovery is that you can eat over your goal calories and still lose weight.

Yes I am losing wieght but what I am learning from everyone is great bonus, which contributes to a true lifestyle change. I've lost a third of my weight since starting.

Thanks everyone for being that so incredibly supportive and inspirational. I trully feel so blessed to know you all.

Huge hugs.
    A.
  • barlovo
    Options
    Alice thanks for posting.What an incredible three months you have had - what amazing things to learn about yourself and your body. I agree with you, it is a lifestyle change, not a diet. - Barb
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be my 90th day on MFP. I have spent the last three days reading and re-reading Barb's and Alice's posts. Reflection is rather a foreign concept to me. I live so much in the here and now and the future. What is past is past, I can't change it, what is the next step is what I am always looking at. I have struggled to isolate and summarize what has changed in the last three months, though I know big and small changes have made my life so different in such a short period of time.

For me this journey started in mid October 2014 (weighed 292) when I was notified I had liver problems. By the beginning of November I was learning to eat a whole new way. It was hard, but Mark suggested I focus on the things I liked to eat and could eat instead of what I couldn't eat. With that shift in point of view, it became so much easier.

I have always been some degree of over weight. I had never dieted. I read everything I could find about becoming healthy. I was rather baffled by exercise with my physical limitations. The first of the year, I read an article about fitness apps. I checked out MFP and liked that I would be able to track my food (weighed 268). I found Cindy and L.O.S.T. in the forums. I was so glad to find friends and fellow travelers that were finding their way in a new lifestyle too.

The biggest changes in the last 90 days have been:

I started walking around my kitchen and doing Wii Fit in the beginning of January.
    I started working out with dumbbells in the end of January.
    I got my food scale and started weighing food the beginning of Feb.
    The rest of February was spent increasing my exercise time.
    March I increased my exercise time more and tried different exercises. I also worked on eating more protein and less rice cakes (I lost with the rice cakes for now). I also quit smoking two weeks ago.

Looking at the list, I did a lot and made amazing progress (lost 32 pounds) in a short period of time. I think the main thing that made me so successful was the motivation and encouragement from each one of you.

Cindy - Your dedication of watching your calories and working out despite long break neck days at work and with the family. You still check in here and have encouragement and a kind word for each of us.

Barb - Perseverance not perfection. No matter how heart breaking and hard life can be, you modify what you need to do and keep going to meet your goals. Your ability to look into yourself, then to articulate your thoughts and reasons to help others is amazing.

Alice - Every time I see your avatar in that blue dress or I have to pull up my drooping knickers, my heart smiles. I want to go just a little further in my exercise so I can get to where you are (minus the moon boot of course).

Karen - When I am whinny about working out, I remind myself that you have been out walking and have done chair exercises and you are making the effort against much worse physical limitations than I have, so I need to get to it.

Noodle - Almost every morning, I get on MFP and you have already been swimming before a long day at work. One day I will have a calorie burn like yours.

QT, NE, Julia, and Jen - All your kind words, thoughts, and prayers remind me I am not alone on this journey.

Thank you all!
  • Femmigirlz
    Femmigirlz Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barb, Alice and Liz for sharing your experience that we can all learn from too. I'm
    Not ready to share yet. I have some small accomplishments but not ready as I'm not where I want to be.
  • jhaugen445
    jhaugen445 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Barb, Alice, and Liz-
    Thank you for sharing your insights. Your words are inspiring to me to keep going; so that in 3 months I can look back on the things I've learned. Again thank you for being so open and honest about your struggles and your triumphs.
  • FindingCindy721
    FindingCindy721 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Barb...I LOVE this idea...I am a lot like Liz, in that I focus more on now and tomorrow ....and the tomorrow is something I can't always control...so I STRESS! But when I look back on the past three months...it gives me a reason to realize...I CAN do this because I AM DOING THIS! And it's ok if it doesn't ALL happen today...it WILL happen! Because I will MAKE it happen! I am NOT a confident person...but I am learning to be.
    Often times I look at the scale and get so upset because it's not moving fast enough. But as I take the time to look at the big picture there are many things happening quickly that are just as important to me. I have so much more energy now...more stamina...strength and even determination and CONFIDENCE!!! I am in a pant size smaller...only one size smaller but smaller none the less. Now I need to do that again...I think I have finally started to believe in progress not perfection. This is not a race or a competition of any sort...it's a change. A GOOD, HEALTHY, POSITIVE change! And it won't all happen today! But it WILL HAPPEN! I have dieted most of my adult life...but it's never become a life style...this I want to be my life style.
    The biggest things helping me along are all of you! I truly treasure each of you! You have all become a positive point in my day EVERY DAY! I get more from the motivation here than from my own baby steps...and you all motivate me! YOU ALL ROCK! And I truly mean that for the bottom of my heart!
  • barlovo
    Options
    Mysticliz, Karen, and Jhaugen, thanks all for posting - I am inspired by each of you in very special ways. Liz, I have been really struggling with staying off sugar - I have slipped up a few times this week - and hearing about you quitting smoking in the middle of exercising and changing your eating is really inspiring me to recommit to what I know is good for me. Sending hugs to all of you!
  • jhaugen445
    jhaugen445 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Cindy, You are awesome too! Thank you for being so honest about your struggles. I totally get wanting the scale to move faster. I want it all yesterday. ;) But as you said this is a lifestyle change not a diet! I want to thank you for inviting me into this group of amazing ladies!
  • FindingCindy721
    FindingCindy721 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Jen~
    We are sooo glad to have you!!! :)
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    I think whenever I forget how far we have all come, I shall pop in here for inspiration. Especially on those days when the mood is low and I can't look in the mirror.

Every little tip and advice helps because it shows that we do have a myriad of other choices. We don't have to use all of them but sometimes they also trigger other options that we would not have otherwise thought of.

Who would have thought that getting a healthy lifestyle back could be so much fun. And this Quarterly Reflection is an amazing place to record our memories of our journeys.
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Wow another 90 days gone.

The highlights of the last 90 days, I have quit smoking. My last cigarette was March 18. We got moved and settled in the new house. My weight has been between 236 and 229 usually around 233. I feel that I have successfully maintained these last 90 days.

I am annoyed with myself for not making the progress I am wanting to (I am my hardest critic). It is my fault as I have been back sliding and not putting in greater effort. I have been losing and gaining the same six pounds for three months. I have not been fired up to stay on track. I have been working hard physically and telling myself that I can eat a little more here and there and there and there... I have been eating the same things just more of them. I did find out that Biscoff Cookie Butter is the Devil >:) . Its sweet song follows me through the store calling to me :( . Then if it is in the house it is relentless in trying to lure me to the cabinet (it wins). :'( I keep telling myself not to buy it. My girls enjoy it too. My goal is no more cookie butter for the next 90 days. I am just not strong enough to have it in the house.

These last three months has shown me that I can maintain and not go overboard with re-gaining weight. I think that is my victory. It is good to know that my food choices and eating habits are sustainable. So I am on the right path to changing to a healthy lifestyle that is sustainable. Right now I need to push myself harder, I am not where I need to be yet.

I need to get back on track and kick some ---. I have my annual physical in Oct. My personal dream is to be at 192 (100 pounds less than last year). Then at Christmas when we see all the kids and the new baby I would like to be at 180. And in another year I would like to be maintaining at 150-160 when my son gets married. Joe called me this weekend to tell me he and Andrew are getting married the winter of 2016-17. Golden will be graduating in 2017 too. The goals are there. Now I need to get the motivation back to go after them. That will be my project for the next 90 days, getting the fire relit and taking my unruly self in hand and get back at it :)
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Wow another 90 days gone.
    I have been losing and gaining the same six pounds for three months. I have not been fired up to stay on track.

These last three months has shown me that I can maintain and not go overboard with re-gaining weight. I think that is my victory. It is good to know that my food choices and eating habits are sustainable. So I am on the right path to changing to a healthy lifestyle that is sustainable. Right now I need to push myself harder, I am not where I need to be yet.

I need to get back on track and kick some ---. The goals are there. Now I need to get the motivation back to go after them. That will be my project for the next 90 days, getting the fire relit and taking my unruly self in hand and get back at it :)

Me too.
    I've worked to maintain. During this past quarter, life has continued to move along and I've continued to change and adapt. It's sometimes amazing how purposeful I have to be in making healthy decisions. It's so easy to choose less than stellar food options, to get busy doing things that aren't as important as they seem at the moment, or not doing things that should get done. This past weekend, I have continued to tweak the life and recommit to the healthier lifestyle.
    So next quarter, roughly 12 weeks (lets just say Sunday, September 27), My goal is to be at 159. That's just a tad over 1 pound per week. I look forward to being more organized, active and purposeful as well.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Wow, where has the time gone? I really wanted to be down 50lbs. by now, but I have to say that I'm pretty proud that I've continued to lose weight fairly steadily despite a few bumps in the road. I hope to be down a total of at least 75lbs by Christmas, which is about 30lbs away, so I think that's an attainable goal.
  • barlovo
    Options
    Hi everyone, it is great and inspiring to see how we all are keeping on track over the long haul. For me too the past three months have not been what I hoped. I gained back some of the weight I lost in Jan - March. In mid-May I slipped up and started eating sugar and sweeteners again, but what I am proud of is that after 2 weeks, I stopped again and have not eaten sugar/sweeteners since.

Today I feel very motivated to re-dedicate myself to a healthy food plan. Yesterday was the first REAL day that I've logged in a while - in which I did not "cheat" after reaching my calorie target.

My personal goal for the next three months is to cross the line from "obese" to "overweight." According to the BMI charts, the pivot point is 188. I'm currently at 193. I know it's an arbitrary line but I would really like to be out of the "obese" category. For me, weight loss has to be slow and steady, and losing 5 lbs by Oct 1 is a reasonable goal.
  • MdwstQT
    MdwstQT Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Wow, we're seven months into the year! It's been trying these past few months. I'm no where near where I want to be but I'm still better off than this time last year.

It's been a struggle but I'm not giving up. I'm just going to dust myself off and keep moving forward. I definitely need to manage my stress levels and get enough sleep.

I deserve this!
  • aaliceinw
    Options
    I feel fit, I feel healthy, I sleep like a baby most nights and am rested in the mornings when I get up. I'm just over halfway of towards my goal, which means I'm still on track but I'm wondering if my goal is too low now. I'm already freezing this winter because of losing my insulation layers :D

I'm one size down from my average weight that, I've had for 35 years and that I am very comfortable with but have 20 lbs more to go. We will see what it looks and feels like when I drop 10 more.

I eat much, much, much better and actually enjoy food again. I eat more or less what I want, I just stay within my calorie limits. These six months have taught me what is good for my body and what triggers various negative reactions. Salt = water retention; gluten rich foods = swelling of the joints, clogging of the sinuses, post natal drop and a nasty coating on the tongue, which means I start losing the sense of flavours; lactose rich, same as gluten expect swelling of the joints. I have discovered I can eat any type of yoghurt because it is fermented and the probiotics are very good for digestion. I have also discovery that I can eat most seeded breads, if they are made the old traditional way, with unrefined flours.

Not having to log in everyday has also taken a lot of stress away. I discovered that and addictive and competitive nature are not good combinations for me.... I didn't realize I was competitive until coming on this site and doing the Biggest Loser!

I'm loving the space I am in. Next week I will be sitting my NLP practitioner's exam, I'm very nervous about that. I will also be moving home next month. And my 2 year contract ends at the end of August.

I WILL ALSO BE MAKING MY FIRST DIVE IN 2 1/2 YEARS.... WEATHER PERMITTING B):D

This community has been so inspiring and supportive, i know I would not have gotten through the first few months without it. So thank you Cindy and to all of you other beautiful, gorgeous and inspiring women.

I've enjoyed watching your stories and journeys evolve, Liz, MD, Noodle, Marcella, Karen, Jen and Cindy. I'm exciting to see what we come up with to either continue or maintain our plans during the 3rd quarter.

Big hugs everyone and keep moving forward. With much love,
    Alice
  • aaliceinw
    Options
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    July is drawing to a close and the weigh-in number is finally starting to fall again. Amazing what happens when I get sufficient sleep most nights, log my foods, avoid highly processed and stay more active. <3 Go figure.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    July is drawing to a close and the weigh-in number is finally starting to fall again. Amazing what happens when I get sufficient sleep most nights, log my foods, avoid highly processed and stay more active. <3 Go figure.

lol!
  • mysticlizard
    Options
    Another quarter gone. Honestly, I haven't progressed any further than I had in March. I have maintained so I guess that is a victory. I have not had a cigarette for over six months now, I don't miss them so I call myself a non-smoker now. I have started New Rules of Lifting for Women and am really enjoying it. It is very challenging and fun. I have more hope for better focus as I want to look better before the holidays. I am looking forward to seeing what I can do in the next three months B)