If we shouldn't eat or drink artificial sweeteners, what can I use for chewing gum?

Options
TBeverly49
TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
I take a lot of medication that gives me a severe dry mouth. The only way to control my constant licking of my lips is to chew gum. I lick my lips to keep them moist as well as my palate! What is a good alternative for sugar free gum?

Replies

• MissElectricEyeliner
    MissElectricEyeliner Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I drank my diet soda when I did low-carb. Still lost weight. Tweak things so that they work for you. The gum shouldn't be a problem.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I use alot of artificial sweeteners and still manage to lose weight. I think some people are just more sensitive to them. I can't go without something sweet in my morning coffee.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I sparingly use fake sugar. Once or twice a week have a diet soda

I know there are many debates on artificial sweeteners when used constantly.

Used sparingly I have not had issues
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I chew Extra gum almost religiously as a way to steer off cravings and I was able to lose weight. I did do some research on natural guns and completely sugar free gums. They are out there and you'll likely need to order direct. They didn't look to appealing taste-wise but that doesn't seem to be your main goal.
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use Spry gun made with Xylitol to avoid the negatives of artifical sweetness but without the carbs. It's good for your teeth apparently to, I bought it at Whole Foods, but you can get it online as well. Zevia has been my guilt free replacement of diet soda sweetened with stevia that is also yummy, even my non-dieing hubby enjoy both the gym and soda with me without the fears of how and what things like splenda are made of.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Have you tried biotin? That works for me when I'm suffering.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,057 Member
    Options
    I used to chew PUR gum made with xylitol, since I use only stevia and xylitol AS's. But have now cut that out as well, and limit even those now, and have become accustomed to not chewing the gum, or wanting sweet tasting substances.
  • TBeverly49
    TBeverly49 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.