Garden tomatoes....worth it!!!!

Options
Savanna2015mfp
Savanna2015mfp Posts: 40 Member
My first home grown tomatoe sandwich of the summer..I just had to have a second!!!!!It was worth ..still have 800 calories on my daily food count..carb count is a little high though..sometimes with these fresh garden veges coming in..I treat myself.to some creamed corn..fried squash and orka.and tomatoe sandwiches..part of country living..lol <3:p

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    So good! You can also make a shakshouka or a roasted tomato sauce or roasted tomato soup. They freeze so well, too, so you can enjoy the freshness throughout the winter.
  • DinoChicken
    DinoChicken Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try dicing them into an omlete. I add 50g tomato, 20g green pepper, 50g mushrooms, and 1/2 tbs butter (7g). I'm not big into cheese but if you want throw that in too..

Sautee the mushrooms and peppers first or microwave for 1 minute to get rid of that raw taste. Add tomatoes and cheese just as the eggs get done. It's worth it!!
  • Savanna2015mfp
    Savanna2015mfp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    :p sounds good Dinochicken
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've been picking tomatoes from the greenhouse but funny thing is I hate tomatoes. I DO love tomato soup and ketchup though lol. Just picked a 6 pound Zucchini from the garden so have to figure out what to do with that Goliath.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Taking a bite out of a ripe, freshly picked, washed tomato is like tasting a bit of summer sunshine...nothing else tastes as good.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    So worth it! Store bought tomatoes taste NOTHING like a vine-ripened beauty from your garden. Enjoy! (P.S. I know what you mean about summer produce - the other day, I just had to have some fried okra from this cafe that does them especially well...served with dill aioli....yum!

@queenmunchy - yes, shakshuka!! I make it often (but usually with canned tomatoes).

• CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mm, I do miss proper homegrown Tommy tartoes, but they're too carby for me right now. Maybe I'll indulge again when I hit maintenance. Have a nice ripe one for me (but no sandwich thanks, urgh,, I'll have mine with basil and buffalo mozzarella. Yum!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Tomatoe slice, mozzarella slice, basil leaves, reduced balsamic vingar, perfection
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Tomato slice, mayo and bacon on top, yum.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've been picking tomatoes from the greenhouse but funny thing is I hate tomatoes. I DO love tomato soup and ketchup though lol. Just picked a 6 pound Zucchini from the garden so have to figure out what to do with that Goliath.

@AngInCanada If you're eating dairy, there was an awesome Keto recipe for parmesan zucchini crisps I found online somewhere that was awesome. Essential basics were, slice thin, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper. Broil for a a few minutes until brown and crispy. Put little piles of fresh shredded parmesan on each one, and broil until melted... OMG, I'm drooling thinking of it!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ooh, and of course caprese - my mom makes it probably 3/a week in the summer, but I hardly make it because my husband can't tolerate cheese (IBS). My 7 year old's favorite salad!
    Oh, coconuttymummy already said that!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@AngInCanada If you're eating dairy, there was an awesome Keto recipe for parmesan zucchini crisps I found online somewhere that was awesome. Essential basics were, slice thin, toss with olive oil, salt, pepper. Broil for a a few minutes until brown and crispy. Put little piles of fresh shredded parmesan on each one, and broil until melted... OMG, I'm drooling thinking of it!

Zucchini marinara. You can use up some of the tomatoes too, maybe skin them and blend them raw into a sauce. Saute your zucchini slices or chunks in some olive oil, then place in a baking dish with the sauce on top and bake...add some cheese on top, season how you like it.

Or just sauteed zucchini, mushrooms and tomatoes, a little onion if you can spare the carbs.

Raw zucchini noodles with meat sauce on top.