Confession/Vent/Rant

Options
lorilbuckner1
lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
I hit my 225 day MFP anniversary the other day and I feel like a fraud! I've actually been MIA for a couple of weeks, signing in and logging my foods semi accurately but not actively participating. I haven't been to the gym since the day I got the call my cousin whom I grew up next door to and remained very close to, had stepped over the line from seemingly fine and full of life to tragically ill and semi bed ridden; unable to even continue our normal weekly texting harassment of each other, just 3 short weeks after his shocking, unexpected diagnosis with pancreatic cancer. A week later he was gone, just as I was finally able to rearrange my work schedule to go see him, I found myself at his funeral instead. He was only one year older than I. Did I mention that I HATE cancer. It has taken 5 people from my husbands & I's life in the last 3 years.
So now I'm 5 months out from my surgery, 25lbs from goal, knowing exactly what I need to do, yet struggling to get the gumption to do it... I seem to be vacillating between frustrated, pissed off at myself and not caring... I'm not looking for sympathy; I have let everyone's compassion and understanding become a comfortable excuse. I'm more in need of an butt kicking. I have been given a gift and lost sight of how lucky I am. I can hear Jims voice saying "Get cracken you slacker"... A line he has used on me throughout our childhood and into our adulthood. Usually about once a week or so I'd get that msg in a random text for no reason at all...
My husband and I were enjoying some quite time just relaxing on the deck last night and out of the blue he looked at me and quietly said "don't you think its time you stopped being a slacker?" I was actually silenced for a moment... not a common state for me and certainly not a common thing for him to call me out like that. He usually just supports what I do but doesn't point out my failings... Reality check... I'm so thankful he said that. I believe I am at that pivotal point where I must get back to practicing what I preach. Frankly.. This sucks.
Thanks for "listening" my friends.

Replies

• badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    now I'm 5 months out from my surgery, 25lbs from goal, knowing exactly what I need to do, yet struggling to get the gumption to do it... I seem to be vacillating between frustrated, pissed off at myself and not caring... I'm not looking for sympathy; I have let everyone's compassion and understanding become a comfortable excuse. I'm more in need of an butt kicking. I have been given a gift and lost sight of how lucky I am. I can hear Jims voice saying "Get cracken you slacker"... A line he has used on me throughout our childhood and into our adulthood. Usually about once a week or so I'd get that msg in a random text for no reason at all...
    My husband and I were enjoying some quite time just relaxing on the deck last night and out of the blue he looked at me and quietly said "don't you think its time you stopped being a slacker?" He usually just supports what I do but doesn't point out my failings..

Lori, first i'm sorry for your loss, it sounds like your family has been hit pretty hard by the worst disease there is. secondly, it sounds like you are kicking your own butt, so there's not really a need for any of us to do that for you. since you know what you need to do, just start over focusing on the basics. get your protien in, exercise, stay hydrated and track your intake. as far a moral support, it sounds like you have plenty of support from your husband, so listen to him (at least occasionally) and "quit being a slacker"
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, and don't be too hard on yourself. That said, you know what you need to do and it's the job of those close to us to hold us accountable. That's why logging in and posting is so important - Transparency breeds self correcting behavior.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss and can offer huge hugs and commiseration. I had a huge blow to my family the week before my surgery, like yours, one that leaves you forever changed. I went back to my bariatric psychologist 2 days before my surgery, told her what had happened and asked if I should postpone. She told me that she'd hunt me down if I ran from my surgery, because in our times of grief are when we need to stand tall, realize that our lives are precious, and work to live our lives to the fullest. The best way to move on from tragedy is to find a way to honor our loved ones as we use our experiences to make us stronger, wiser, and better people.

I'm now almost 3.5 months out from that day, and while I still think about what happened, I'm a stronger person than I was, and I celebrate our family's strength in how far we have all come, in weight loss for my mom and I, and personally for my sister and nieces. MFP has been a huge part of that- I "estimated portions" to 260lbs, and no longer trust myself. Everything gets logged, and the people here are great cheerleaders and butt kickers when I occasionally need a kick. ;) Friend me if you'd like.
  • Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Lori, loss is never easy and I am sorry to hear about Jim's passing. It does seem like you are ready to "get cracken". It no longer seems that you are a slacker as your husband helped stop that. Lol. As the above posters said back to basics, log in honestly and take accountability. Take advantage of the gift of weight loss surgery and make the best of it. Trouble will come in this life it's what we do in between that counts. I wish you and your family the very best.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Don't spend any more time beating yourself up. You recognize what you need to do. Execute the plan without the self abuse. Life will never stop throwing things at you. Separate the grieving from taking care of you and do your best.

We'll all be cheering you on
  • lorilbuckner1
    Options
    Thanks guys! Can't tell you how much I appreciate all of you! :D
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry for your loss. You know what you need to do. You spent a lot of time, effort and money to get to this point and you don't want to waste all that. And your friend would not have wanted you to do that either. He would have wanted to see you celebrate getting to goal. So back on the wagon girl!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    My sympathies for your loss. Sounds like he was a great cheerleader. Time to take care of yourself so 'Get cracken! ' We'll be here for ya.
  • SkinnyDevi
    SkinnyDevi Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Lori, so sorry for your loss. Since you know exactly what you have to do, get out there and do it...for you and for him. Thank you for being open and honest about your struggles...you've inspired for me to get crackin' as I've been quite the slacker lately. I look forward to your updates in the days and weeks to come!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    A sponsor in my 12step group once told to just "Do the next right thing".
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Hugs - what a great message and what an awesome hubs you have, a little ribbing now and then can be fun, look for "slacker" signs when you're out and about, I am sure cousin will find a way to get his random texts and love to you in new ways ;)<3 And like everyone said this isn't a quick race you got this! Be gentle with yourself life comes at us, you are doing great!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss, cancer is not a good thing. Bless you and your family.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Lori, I am so sorry for your loss. I want to say here that everyone needs time to grieve, so don't be too tough on yourself. It sounds to me like it's time to put your grief a little to the side and start taking care of yourself again. What a great husband to gently prod you in the right direction and that he would use your cousin's words? Well it brought tears to my eyes! How loving and sensitive of him! He must have known you needed to hear that right then. So, back to business girlfriend! Log accurately, plan your meals, get your water and protein in and get back to working out. You can do this!
  • lorilbuckner1
    Options
    I love you guys... Nothing more... Just had to say it.
  • greenbaymichk
    greenbaymichk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you - what a horrible loss.
    Be kind to yourself. Consider seeking a support group or counseling to help you put your loss into perspective.

And don't forget - you are loved and your health is important. Give yourself time to heal.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. And I second everyone who says what a wonderful husband you must have. Mental anguish can throw all of us off track, but it sounds like you're ready to get back on board and get through the rest of the journey. Hang in there! We're here if you need us.
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss, Lori. We're all behind you and know you've got this!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,682 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Butt kicking, Lori!

Sometimes while grocery shopping I tell myself, "I don't remember why right now, but there's some reason I don't want to buy that junk food." Oddly, it helps me get home without getting trigger foods that hurt so much later on.

You probably have some depression that only time can heal. And it's totally justified. But you need to save yourself too.

To help get out of a tough place, can you tell yourself, "I don't remember why right now, but there's some reason I need to stop wallowing and get back in gear?" Then just trust yourself.

Thinking positively, tracking accurately, working out - so many things can lift you up, help you feel good about yourself, work up those endorphins, help you feel better. You just need to find a way to get going again.

Best wishes to you,
    :angry: :angry: STRENGTH :angry: :angry: !!
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Lori, I'm very sorry. Does your employer have an employee assistance program? You can often get a few sessions with a therapist for free. I don't know how you feel about therapy. But, I found that a few sessions in therapy helped me handle a couple of times when adult life just became complicated and hard (death, divorce, etc.) A good therapist is (a) someone you can unload on, as much as you need to and (b) can help you recognize and identify ways of getting over self-defeating mental roadblocks. I'm not sure if you'll take the word of someone who just put up a sparkly cat picture for her selfie image, but I hope you consider it. You could also talk to your surgeon's office, and see what they recommend.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call you a slacker. You've faced a lot of blows. Be gentle with yourself and the rest will follow.