Hunger

Options
Immerito
Immerito Posts: 105 Member
I try to eat a balance of fat, carbs and protein at every meal. What are suggestions of things to eat so to feel fuller so that I no longer feel hungry after meals (daily max is 1700 calories (without exercise) according to myfitnesspal. I drink water throughout the day, so I don't think it's thirst masquerading as hunger).

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,773 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the timing of drinking your water can have an impact. Try drinking a full glass of water 15-20 minutes before your meal, give the brain time to register the fact something is in your stomach, it will help a smaller amount of food to feel like more.

Also, what is your fiber content? Protein and fiber help fill you up more than an equal number of calories of carbs or fat.
  • Immerito
    Options
    Okay, I'll try to time drinking my water 15-20 minutes before a meal. I don't have fiber listed among my macros, so I'm not sure how much fiber I'm getting. Probably not enough. How do I change that setting?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few factors influencing hunger.

Without going into an exceptionally lengthy post, here are some things you can consider:

1) How much protein are you eating and are you somewhat evenly distributing it around each meal for satiety purposes.
    2) What foods are you selecting? The amount of satiety you get from kids cereal is typically lower than what you'd get from a boiled white potato for example.
    3) What is your calorie and macronutrient distribution (grams of p/f/c to total your 1700 cal intake)
    4) How many servings of fruits and vegetables are you getting and are you using those to enhance food volume to promote fullness?
    5) What is your fiber intake?
    6) How are your calories divided up among feedings throughout the day (meals and snacks)

That's where I'd START the process, and you may need to differentiate between homeostatic hunger and hedonic hunger (eating for nutrients/energy vs eating for pleasure) as the latter has some factors to consider outside of the above list as well.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,773 Member
    Options
    My Home --> Settings --> Diary Settings --> Choose up to 5 nutrients you wish to track in addition to calories (I do protein, carbs, fat, sodium and fiber)

You can also adjust the number and names of the meals for daily logging. For example, I have six: breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, post-workout and bedtime.
  • Immerito
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    There are quite a few factors influencing hunger.

Without going into an exceptionally lengthy post, here are some things you can consider:

1) How much protein are you eating and are you somewhat evenly distributing it around each meal for satiety purposes.
    2) What foods are you selecting? The amount of satiety you get from kids cereal is typically lower than what you'd get from a boiled white potato for example.
    3) What is your calorie and macronutrient distribution (grams of p/f/c to total your 1700 cal intake)
    4) How many servings of fruits and vegetables are you getting and are you using those to enhance food volume to promote fullness?
    5) What is your fiber intake?
    6) How are your calories divided up among feedings throughout the day (meals and snacks)

That's where I'd START the process, and you may need to differentiate between homeostatic hunger and hedonic hunger (eating for nutrients/energy vs eating for pleasure) as the latter has some factors to consider outside of the above list as well.

Thanks. I'm still working on the above. This is really helpful for knowing what to fix.