Hi everyone!!

Options
Shez2506
Shez2506 Posts: 4 Member
Hi everyone! I'm Shez & new to my fitness pal in the sense I was a member back in 2012 & now I'm back!

Do any of you have any tips on losing weight when it's really hard? I've hit a plateau where I'm eating healthily but not losing anything!! Help!!

Xx

Replies

• bbcoach173
    bbcoach173 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One thing that trainers suggest , and I follow as frequently as I can is to not eat carbs after 1pm. This makes it possible to burn it off well before bedtime.
  • SarahJurina
    SarahJurina Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea. I usually have light carbs at dinner, though :/

Shez, I have struggled with this same problem. I lose 2 lb. then I plateau for a week or two, then finally lose 2 more lb. Annoying. Here is what has helped me:
    -Tracking calories by using a food scale. It's amazing how eyeballing food is totally different than how much it really weighs.
    -Not eating after 7:30pm (or whatever time you finish dinner). I noticed I had one or two snacks, and that filled in several hundred calories. That was my entire deficit down the drain.
    -Throw your body for a loop, by either switching what you normally do for a workout completely, or possibly switching what time of day you work out.
    -Relax. Try not to stress it, because your body is adjusting to everything still and may take awhile to catch up (again).

I started lifting weights about 3 weeks ago, lowered my cardio, but still did a lot of activity (swimming, walking, etc.) and upped my protein. This helped sculpt my muscles so I wasn't "skinnyfat" and threw my body off enough to lose a couple lb.

Best of luck!
  • MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose? How long has your "plateau" lasted? How much are you eating? Exercising? Doing only cardio? Strength training?

So many questions!
  • MicheleStitches
    MicheleStitches Posts: 306 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not trying to start and argument here, but I feel the need to point out that there are other trainers who recommend the opposite in regards to timing your carbs. Eating carbs early in the day can trigger the insulin yo-yo that some people struggle with. This makes most people crave MORE carbs and overeat throughout the day. However, if you eat your carbs later in the day (like dinner) you can enjoy the following benefits:

...study comparing a group who consumed the majority of their carbohydrates in the evening against a group consuming the majority of their carbohydrates during the day with both groups on a caloric deficit diet. The group consuming their carbohydrates in the evening actually lost more body fat and maintained more overall lean body mass than the morning group. The proposed reasoning being the evening group maintained a higher level of leptins. Leptin is a hormone that is synthesized by carbohydrates and is known to signal the brain on the body's current energy status, thus impacting a host of other hormones of significance to the study at hand: thyroid hormones (responsible for metabolism), testosterone (a key factor to muscle growth/maintenance). ---quoted from article on Muscle & Fitness website
    Also, here is another article discussing the "myths" surrounding eating at night: leangains.com/2011/06/is-late-night-eating-better-for-fat.html

Just remember, eating carbs at night is NOT an excuse to over-consume junk food or exceed your calorie limits.

You might also investigate "intermittent fasting." Some people find this really helps them with their plateaus.