Michele's AHA (or log it to lose it) Round 2 - redux

Options
Calliope610
Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
I have slacked off with the logging the last several days, but my activity has increased. I have been to the gym for 30+min cardio (recumbent bike) Monday, Tuesday and last evening. My goal is to get a 300cal burn to augment my 1300 daily cals to give me a very workable 1600cals/day.

I'm kinda bummed about my gym right now and here is a rant...

I am motivated to start strength training again (Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness b/c the program seems to focus on upper body more that SL or SS), but the small free weight area at my gym is overrun by a group of "youngsters" who seem to just loiter there all afternoon. Yesterday I watched one of the gym "trainers" and his "client" (?) talk for about 8min while she had her butt firmly planted in the leg press. A long rest period maybe? I doubt it. And one guys was actively at the calf raise station and 3 of his "bros" were standing/sitting around just talking. In the several minutes I was observing all this during my cool down, calf raise guy was the only one working out! I just wanted to go march right into their domain and bench, but I wasn't mentally prepared for it, so I left. But next week, I'm gonna show the guys how to work out!! Either that or go to the gym in the early AM for my lifting and core workouts.

Yesterday was a good food day, stayed under calorie thanks to good food
choices and that cardio burn. Today is another day for good choices and exercise!

Now, go be awesome!

Replies

• judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have missed you. Our logging group seem kind of hit or miss but I guess that what a group with logging issues is about - trying. So glad you are getting to be more active - that seems to make you happy. The gym would be an issue for me. I don't use a gym for the very reasons you have noted. I do mostly DVD workouts, ride my bike, use my bowflex or elliptical. Have considered getting a spinning bike for the winter but didn't get that done last winter. Would love to have a set of free weights but my ceilings are not high enough I believe where my workout arena is. Hang in there and set the gym bobs straight.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yay!! We are all trying definitely.
  • Calliope610
    Options
    Yesterday (day 2 of redux) wasn't pretty, but it was brutally honest. Didn't make it to the gym - had errands to run after work - and I think that contributed to my caloric disaster.

I did determine that my problem eating usually falls between 5:30pm (when I get home from work) and about 7:00pm (when it's time to eat "dinner"), especially if I don't have anything to do. It's "quiet time" at my home, as DH is usually taking his afternoon nap (chronic pain and depression issues) and it's still too damn hot to play with or walk Cora. So there is nothing for me to do but graze, usually on high calorie foods (cheese, hummus, chips, etc).

Going to the gym fills that trouble time and also kills my appetite - I'm not hungry immediately after a good cardio workout. And I get a good calorie burn, so it's win-win. Hopefully, my after work gym workouts with be replaced with bike rides in a couple of weeks.

• judykat7
    Options
    That is my trouble time too, between work and dinner. That afterwork snack. And I have stuff to do! Have to get chores started, plants watered, dogs walked...and rationalize that I need a snack to get started.
  • randomtai
    Options
    It's good that you are becoming aware of your trouble areas. Mine are after dinner before bed, especially if I am drinking.
  • Calliope610
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Today was a good day. Went to the gym after work instead of grazing. An hour of moderate cardio and then some bench presses (1x5 bar, 1x5 @ 55#, 5x5 @ 65#). I plan to study ICF tonight, watch some videos and hit the gym either Saturday or Sunday to put it all together. And get on my bike for some real cycling :)

Oh, and a city wide garage sale tomorrow morning for some walking, shopping and fun, then to Austin with my DH for more shopping and dinner on the town.

ETA: and I bought more workout clothes today - 3pr yoga capris, 3 tanks and some sports bras. Yeah, I think I got my groove back!
  • judykat7
    Options
    Great day yesterday. Have fun today!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am slightly jealous of going to the gym kills your appetite! The more I work out and exercise, the more I eat, and it is more than what I workout to burn
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I have that same problem -- everytime that I start lifting it makes me far hungrier than what I burn!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Cardio makes me a lot more hungry than lifting, if I keep up with my protein then lifting doesn't make my hunger too horrible
  • Calliope610
    Options
    I still haven't been able to log every single thing, every single day. But I have learned some valuable lessons - like don't get too hungry (8hrs w/out eating) because I get completely ravenous. Plan better when "out and about" to prevent this.

In other news, I was finally able to go cycling - yay!!
  • randomtai
    Options
    I still haven't been able to log every single thing, every single day. But I have learned some valuable lessons - like don't get too hungry (8hrs w/out eating) because I get completely ravenous. Plan better when "out and about" to prevent this.

In other news, I was finally able to go cycling - yay!!

Recognizing things is always good. I am the same way.
  • Calliope610
    Options
    Good start for today. 2 mile walk w cora, longest since my surgery. My knee is still sore when I put all my weight on it and fully extend when walking, but it's just the tenderness from having the meniscus removed/replaced. Want to go the the gym later to familiarize myself with ICF workouts. I don't think I'm ready to adopt the full workouts (8 exercises for WO A, 7 for WO B) I'm just gonna start with 3 or 4 and add on every other week or so as I get proficient with the routine.

Last night I realized I have additional motivation for some kickass weight loss and workouts. My daughter is getting married next July 2016, and not only do I want to look better than her stepmother who raised her, I want to show all the old "couple friends" the that dropped after the divorce and the ex's family "how do you like me now". Petty and btichy I know, but I go to work.with what I got....

• Calliope610
    Options
    A good day today. I realized (once sgsin) that b like can make healthy chpices, eat well and feel satisfied without going over. Also that it's true, sometimes hungry feelings ate really just thirst. Thank Goodness for green tea.
  • judykat7
    Options
    I like petty and bitchy when a person owns up to it..
  • Calliope610
    Options
    Yesterday (Sunday) I ate pretty good, all until the ice cream...

Today was much better, found a new, healthier alternative to my ice cream fix - greek yogurt. And I got in 400+ exercise calories, so even with Taco Bell for lunch, I came in under. YAY me!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    All right, great job Michele. I think the wedding-as-motivator is a great idea. I wanted to look better for Sturgis and here I've lost almost 60 pounds for it. I can't wear *anything* that I want, but I'll be rocking corsets, see through lace, and deerskin which is a far cry from where I was 60 pounds ago.
  • judykat7
    Options
    I love taco bell. 1 crunchy beef, 1 soft chicken-both fresco style and a side of plain black beans. Yum - under 400 calories! You are doing great Michelle - you will get it all lined back out.
  • Calliope610
    Options
    Day 900. Where will I be on Day 1000? The number crunching side of my brain has kicked in... 100/7 = 14 wks @ 1lb/wk = 14lbs. Current weight 192 - 14 = 178 by 10/31/15. MFP has given my 1330cals/day (sedentary), and I have made a commitment to get 300 cardio/exercise cals/day to bring my total to 1630 - VERY workable. Now, time to JUST DO IT!
  • Calliope610
    Options
    The scale continues its downward trend. Slowly, but surely.