Introducing myself - a runner

Options
MrBrianP2010
MrBrianP2010 Posts: 4 Member
Hi everyone! I'm 42, married with 3 kids and working hard to lose 25 lbs. I've been an in and off runner for 5 years but have to juggle family life. I'm serious now and am training for a half marathon in October. So far I have lost 13 lbs! Any other runners out there? Happy to join this group

Replies

• alusainc
    alusainc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I haven't run in a while due to some health issues but was finally cleared to run and ran for the first time in three months two days ago. I feel great. It's a great way to lose and maintain weight. Congratulations on your weight loss so far. Inspiring. Keep sharing your running stories and good luck in the half in October. I should be running a 5K in September (that's the goal).
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a new runner. I love to run and wish I could fit it into my schedule more. I've done a bunch of 5K's and my first trail race a few weeks ago , which I loved. I will definitely be looking for more trail races in my area and hope to work up to a 5K soon. Very impressive that you are training for a half marathon :)
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    jfp420 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm a new runner. I love to run and wish I could fit it into my schedule more. I've done a bunch of 5K's and my first trail race a few weeks ago , which I loved. I will definitely be looking for more trail races in my area and hope to work up to a 5K soon. Very impressive that you are training for a half marathon :)

Oops! Meant that I'm working up to a 10K!
  • holtzyt
    holtzyt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 42, married with 3 kids and working hard to lose 25 lbs. I've been an in and off runner for 5 years but have to juggle family life. I'm serious now and am training for a half marathon in October. So far I have lost 13 lbs! Any other runners out there? Happy to join this group

Congrats on your loss! I am a runner - although I'm not a big race runner. Just run for me. I am 41 and am an "empty nester", so I have more opportunity/time to run. Best of luck to you for your half marathon!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Funny hearing myself say this but I am a runner now :) Not a race runner either. Went from zero running on my 40th birthday to running half marathon distances for fun. You can do this.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I shuffle in a manner that somewhat resembles a turtle running through peanut butter. I have much respect for those that run distance races (half-marathon and above), I'm just working the 5-10k distances. I lack the mental fortitude for distance plus, you know, chaffing :s Good luck on the run!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Me neither Graymanstole. My strategy is to run 10K away from home/where I am. I have to get back somehow :)
  • poecilecinctus
    poecilecinctus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Brian...same here (same age too). Started running again and losing weight in december last year. I am mostly running on trails (less impact) until I lose enough weight to run on pavement again. Was 245lb, now 226, hoping to go back to 200 pounds or less......
  • jlewisrn74
    jlewisrn74 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Julie. I'm 41 and a runner. Ran my first 1/2 in April and looking for another one. I run every morning I get a chance to. 7 miles this morning! :) great way to start the day! Welcome!! I have t posted in the forums much but I'm going to try to get back to it
  • jneen29
    jneen29 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I just turned 40 on July 8th. I love to run but I'm still new at it. I run outdoors about 3-4 miles once/twice a week. I run 6.5mph (9:13 minute mile) and I'm trying to get to 7mph (8:34 minute mile). I like hills. Trying to get my hams/glutes firmer.
  • Elsamahy
    Elsamahy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi guys my name is Ruth and in my head I'm a runner. I'm 48 years old married with 2 kids. I love to run but I don't do it well. I run in the park and it's so slow I really look like I'm power walking! I do better in the gym but NOTHING beats running outside! Any tips on how I can improve. My dream would be to run in ANY competition. I do many walks like for breast cancer and the aides walk but on my head I'm a runner.....
  • MrBrianP2010
    Options
    jlewisrn74 wrote: »
    Hi. My name is Julie. I'm 41 and a runner. Ran my first 1/2 in April and looking for another one. I run every morning I get a chance to. 7 miles this morning! :) great way to start the day! Welcome!! I have t posted in the forums much but I'm going to try to get back to it

Congrats on your first 1/2!!! That is awesome!
  • jlewisrn74
    Options
    jlewisrn74 wrote: »

Congrats on your first 1/2!!! That is awesome!

Thank you!!!
  • traci9028
    traci9028 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Best of luck with your training. That's so exciting to be training for a half marathon. I've only run 5K's but would love to work on a 10K or a half marathon. Congrats on losing 13 lbs. too! I'm a new runner, 45 with 2 kids at home and juggle a lot so I can relate to how family life makes it hard to get in the running. I'm a huge running fan and love looking into new ways to train, new gear, etc. Nice to meet you and I'm here to help inspire you, if I can!
  • MrBrianP2010
    Options
    Hey Julie! How many miles do you average per week?

Traci if you did 5k's you can definitely do a 10k! Congratulations on being a new runner - it's addictive
  • traci9028
    traci9028 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks MrBrianP. I agree that it's addictive. I feel like such an amateur but after a hard run, I feel so energized and want to run again. My big problem is that my running comes last so I don't always fit it in.
  • marczimmerman70
    marczimmerman70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a runner as well with 2 kids and I have been running for 4 years (yep, the big 40 motivated me). I have decided at 44 enough is enough and instead of just maintaining my weight and finishing an average pace for a marathon, I am going to shoot for losing more and qualifying for Boston. I have a coach working with me and monitoring my calories and workouts and I am already down 8 lbs this summer and I am hoping for about 5 more by Sept 13.
  • jlewisrn74
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Hey Julie! How many miles do you average per week?

Traci if you did 5k's you can definitely do a 10k! Congratulations on being a new runner - it's addictive

I don't know how many in a week. I'd have to figure it. I can tell you I ran about 96 miles in July and 93 miles in June. So somewhere average 20-25 miles a week. Sure seems like more then that!
  • MrBrianP2010
    Options
    I am a runner as well with 2 kids and I have been running for 4 years (yep, the big 40 motivated me). I have decided at 44 enough is enough and instead of just maintaining my weight and finishing an average pace for a marathon, I am going to shoot for losing more and qualifying for Boston. I have a coach working with me and monitoring my calories and workouts and I am already down 8 lbs this summer and I am hoping for about 5 more by Sept 13.

Marc Best of luck to you qualifying for Boston! Way to set your goals high!
  • 74Patricia
    74Patricia Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Hello there!

Awesome job on your weight loss and your drive to run a half marathon. How is training coming along? I have completed my 2nd half marathon last month and I am on the search for another one to run before the end of the year. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have or advice! Be glad to motivate and support you!