July 22 Day 10

catladyksa
catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
Hope you all have a very healthy and happy day. I will be ready to start the next challenge. Do we have any idea when we shall start it?? Is everyone up for Monday July 27th or do you want to just roll into the next one right away?
luv..n

Replies

• KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    I like the idea of ending the next challenge on the last day of July, so I was thinking about doing a week-long one, beginning on July 25. Then we get a couple of days off to re-focus, but not so many that we turn into slackers.

Because it's only a week, I'm also thinking about boot-camp challenging myself. This week, I've slipped into the VERY bad habit of staying up late and snacking at midnight, so my boot camp will be about sticking to my meal plan, drinking water, staying sugar free, and doing my maintenance activities.

I'm not going to give myself any exercise goals because I really don't know what the frig is going to happen with this spine issue. I've already called my neuro to beg for stronger drugs. Waiting for a call back. Heading to PT in about an hour.

My cell phone is toast--argh!!!--so frustrating! It's my camera, my calendar, my phone book, my kindle, and my laptop all rolled into one tiny pocket-friendly piece of electronics. Of course I don't have insurance on it, so I think I'll be stuck with something basic until the end of the year. DON'T SWIM WITH YOUR PHONE, K. BAD IDEA!!! VERY BAD IDEA!!!!

Nancy, you're in my thoughts today. So hard to lose a beloved pet! I sent you a message on facebook.

Everyone else--let's finish day 10 strong!

xxoo
    K.
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I'm up for a 7 day challenge and finishing on the 31st of July. Thinking of some goals now.
  • catladyksa
    I am in for a 7 day challenge starting July 25.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I don't know if I'm up for the challenge this time. I had an epiphany yesterday that I've hit a self-inflicted plateau because of fear and being afraid...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/uncomfortable-realization-756514 if you wanna read it.

I have got to work through what is going on with me, because you know, gut clenching fear, since acknowledged is attempting to paralyze me... sigh

Nancy, glad you're back up to normal.

Karen - so sorry to hear about your phone, but don't play taps just yet. It can take 2-3 days to completely dry out...

Cari - love seeing you back in the game!
  • KarenZen
    Hey gang,
    Interesting afternoon Physical Therapy session. I have homework to do--mostly strengthening "inner ab" muscles... I need to google those and see exactly what they are, LOL. You'd think by age 51 I'd know all the parts of my body, but today I discovered some new ones. I'm very optimistic about PT. Hoping and hoping that I can avoid surgery and learn to stabilize the messed up parts of my back to stop the nerve pain. I go back on Friday, then next week on Tuesday and Thursday.

Also had a chat with the therapist about swimming, and it dawned on me during the conversation that I could modify my swim (the PT suggested NOT swimming the crawl as that rotation fires up the sciatic nerve--he said I should just float on a noodle in deep water and do some gentle kicking... bah!). Sooooo.... I'm thinking if I swim with a snorkel tucked through my goggle strap, I can breathe without rotating. I'm going to try this in a bit. Seriously, bobbing around in the water is NOT enough--I need a good cardio workout for so many, many, many reasons, but I DO understand that I shouldn't do anything to irritate that nerve. GAH!

Carly, I think you SHOULD do the last July challenge, but give yourself some really fun goals like "search online for plus size clothing swaps" or "deep condition hair with an avocado" or "nap at least once on Saturday." Practicing good self care is such an important part of this journey and too often neglected! Sometimes you need to challenge yourself to do it. I know that if I hadn't included my new anti-aging face cream regimen in my "maintenance goals," I'd still be just washing off with dial soap and then wondering why my skin looked so wrinkly.

xxoo
    K.
  • KnitOrMiss
    I found out that, too, Karen, about different muscle groups when I started doing PT for my pelvic organ prolapse. By strengthening the RIGHT ab muscles, and not the traditional ones we're used to that do the six-pack bit, to help support my pelvic floor, I've actually eased some of my lower back pain. I hadn't put it together that this might help your sciatica! So if you can't find the right exercises, looking up pelvic floor exercises (what's ab okay and what's not - and trust me, I was shocked by the BAD list)...might be an alternative. :) Good luck.

Will have to think about the other.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    In
  • catladyksa
    Karen I always swim laps with a snorkel and mask. I can not bob my head up and down. I take it to the public pool or hotel pools. For me it has always been the best way to swim? Just purchase the set of mask and snorkel..
  • KarenZen
    Carly, I looked it up---the Transverse Abdominus (sp?). I've done my exercises this morning. More PT tomorrow. Feeling hopeful!!!

Nancy, we have a couple of mask/snorkel sets, and Jim always swims with one too, as does my friend Ernie who has cervical spine issues. I was thinking goggles/snorkels just because I can't imagine doing a long swim with something as heavy and bulky as a mask, plus my goggles are prescription, so I can actually SEE if a boat is going to run me over, lol. Today I'll try both and see which one works/feels better. Sometimes I just need someone else to point me in the right direction. For the past two months I've struggled to swim because of how much it irritates my sciatic nerve, but it wasn't until the physical therapist said, "Hey, don't swim laps if the twisting/rotating motion irritates your nerve" that I actually thought about how else I could do it and still get a good workout. DUH.

Jim seriously has the patience of a SAINT with all he's had to put up with from me lately... oh, and actually over the past three years. Oh, actually since I got Still's eleven years ago, really. Thank god I'm awesome in so many other ways to make up for being a physical mess/ball of pain/weeping lunatic.

K.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KarenZen wrote: »
    Carly, I looked it up---the Transverse Abdominus (sp?). I've done my exercises this morning. More PT tomorrow. Feeling hopeful!!!

Nancy, we have a couple of mask/snorkel sets, and Jim always swims with one too, as does my friend Ernie who has cervical spine issues. I was thinking goggles/snorkels just because I can't imagine doing a long swim with something as heavy and bulky as a mask, plus my goggles are prescription, so I can actually SEE if a boat is going to run me over, lol. Today I'll try both and see which one works/feels better. Sometimes I just need someone else to point me in the right direction. For the past two months I've struggled to swim because of how much it irritates my sciatic nerve, but it wasn't until the physical therapist said, "Hey, don't swim laps if the twisting/rotating motion irritates your nerve" that I actually thought about how else I could do it and still get a good workout. DUH.

Jim seriously has the patience of a SAINT with all he's had to put up with from me lately... oh, and actually over the past three years. Oh, actually since I got Still's eleven years ago, really. Thank god I'm awesome in so many other ways to make up for being a physical mess/ball of pain/weeping lunatic.

K.

Karen, I can't tell for certain, as my area of focus is lower and such, but that seems like the same muscle groups. I can tell when I work them too hard though, because I start getting muscle cramps in my pelvic cradle and my back...so don't work harder than your PT tells you to, and see if you need to increase magnesium citrate intake. That helps mine out! Good luck.