Salad Ideas?

Options
Hi all!

I've been eating salads for lunch lately. I live in Texas and it's getting hot, so it's the perfect summertime meal! However I'm kind of bored of the salads I've been making (cranberry walnut feta, and asian chicken salad with tangerines). Anybody out there got any ideas on how to spice up my greens?

Thanks!
Heather

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I usually eat salad for lunch because my lunch buddy prefers salad . . . I start with a lettuce/spinach mix, tomato, cucumber, egg and some days cheese (shaved Parmesan, Asiago or Feta) I always have a Protein, chicken, steak, shrimp, salmon or cod and some sort of dressing (that I am way to light handed with and this probably explains why I do not care for salads :) ). I will also add veggies I have at home, broccoli, green beans or zucchini, I love kidney beans in my salads as well as pecans, walnuts and dried cranberries or nectarines. Salads can be as creative as you like. If you discover you don't care for a certain ingredient in your salad just put them to the side and eat it separately - I don't tend to add ingredients I don't like, like something's you might eat in a salad but not alone!

Be creative or look through recipes, online or in cookbooks. I do not do a lot of preparing my ingredients other than cutting them up - so no complicated recipes for me, I just use them as a guide!
  • leeyuhsee
    leeyuhsee Posts: 60 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    When I was living in France, the cheapest meat I could buy was a type of diced bacon. When I was making a salad, I'd cook up some of that, toss it in with lettuce, sliced grapes, chèvre cheese, and some nuts, with homemade mustard vinaigrette. Maybe not the healthiest of meals, but it tasted good. ;)
    Other sources of protein could be beans. Edamame's pretty good!
  • kalislim
    kalislim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love a Greek salad. Sometimes I skip the greens :o and will chunk up cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, feta (especially the tomato basil flavor), red, yellow and green bells and drizzle a couple tablespoons of balsamic vinaigrette.. yummy.
  • dancing_chemical
    dancing_chemical Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I always use bell peppers in mine. Colorful and tasty.
  • julzbird
    julzbird Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Rocket
    watermelon
    goats cheese
    a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic vinegar reduction (not to much.. )
    salt and pepper!

Enjoy!

• CLaukam
    CLaukam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I really need to start making salads again - i have been doing a lot of juicing and smoothies - but nothing beats a nice crunchy salad :)
  • lovelymusiclady
    lovelymusiclady Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everybody! I'll definitely give these a try!
  • ctevis36
    ctevis36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had a salad for lunch today. Mine included lettuce, sunflower seeds, raisins or dried cranberries (whichever I have on hand), chickpeas, cucumber, & balsamic vinegar dressing. Because I have them I added croutons and a egg .
  • monies1210
    monies1210 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    something I love to put in my salads....fruit. It gives my salads sweetness and helps me cut back on the dressing.

my salad for lunch today is a spring mix, cucumbers, orange sweet pepper, blueberries, 2 slices of turkey, an egg, shredded mont jack cheese, and literally a tbsp. and a half of strawberry balsamic dressing.
  • tre770
    tre770 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like to go to the deli and get turkey or chicken cut thick and cube 2 oz in my salad. I also enjoy fruit in my salad