Day one

Options

Replies

• shaytuck
    shaytuck Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I started OMAD today. I was very hungry and for some reason I couldn't keep my eyes opened and wanted to lay my head on the desk and go to sleep. It lasted for several hours. Drank water and iced tea. Also, had some watermelon. Tomorrow I'm trying to go all day without fruit. I'm hoping to get a cell phone soon so I can take pictures and post the food I eat B) .

Well expect to be pretty hungry as you are just starting out but know it'll get better. I've noticed that if I eat crap the day before I'm hungrier the next day but if I eat sensibly I'm good. Everyone's different though.
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I have been on the program before but stopped. I got past the hunger stage and it wasn't bad at all. In fact, I had more energy, slept better, and seemed to concentrate easier. Good luck to you too. I accepted your friend request.
  • LinDiSm26262
    Options
    Today I drank a coke in the afternoon. I know that probably isn't a great idea but I had a headache and that nipped it in the bud. Eating great tonight!
    Fish, baked potato with butter and cheese, green beans with onions and tri colored peppers, bread, apple butter, and an apple.
  • shaytuck
    Options
    Mkay so this week has been hard for me. Like extremely hard! Typically I don't turn into a raging *kitten* until about 4 but this week it's been 2 so I've been eating an apple and cheese stick around that time to hold me over until I get home. I'm trying my best to stick to OMAD but I can't be on *kitten* mode with 2 more hours of work left and then a little one to pick up right after before eating. Cheer camp also started this week and that has me pushing back my meal time so I can take my daughter. Today I have the apple and cheese stick on standby but I'm gonna try to hold off as long as possible (it's currently 1 here in Cali).

Um what else, I know you don't agree with weighing yourself often but I'm addicted. Can't help it. My weight has been so stupid lately. I got down to 208 my first week on OMAD and then it was up to 214 just two days ago but today I get on the scale and it's 209. I ate nothing but carbs yesterday so I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out what I can eat and what I can't while on the OMAD journey. Some days I feel like maintaining a low carb diet while on this journey is beneficial then days like yesterday happen where I eat pizza and lose three pounds (I was 212 the day before). The only thing keeping me sane is the happyscale app which kinda gives you an average based on the numbers you plug in daily and it helps me set realistic goals.

Food lasts longer in the house now that I'm not taking lunch, I love not having to meal prep anymore and I love really large meals lol. One thing that bothers me is that my husband says this is creating bad habits. He uses the word binge often but I honestly don't eat more than I did before (most days). I have to show him my food diary at least once a week so he gets it. I'm simply eating everything I would have eaten throughout the day in one sitting. It's actually hard some days to eat the amount of calories I need for the day, especially if it's healthier food since the protein tends to make me fuller faster.

Taking the little one to Disneyland this weekend for her birthday - OMAD is going to be a huge struggle for me as I love amusement park crap (dippin dots, funnel cake etc.).
  • LinDiSm26262
    Options
    You lost weight! That's great. You should only weigh once a week because it can drive you nuts. I use to weigh every day and then my scale broke and I didn't replace it. Now I go by how my clothes fit. The next time I go to the doctor I will get weighed and I'll see my results in pounds. You can use a scale, a measuring tape, clothing or a belt as a measuring tool as well.

I'm don't know for sure, but your body can hold fluid because you ate salt and didn't drink enough fluid or you could be adjusting to your new way of eating. Joe will know more about this than me.

If you need something to eat before your meal, have a piece of fruit... As your stomach shrinks your cravings should go away some. Read the article Joe posted about that military guy and the positive and healthy things he has to say about OMAD. Have your husband read it too. You can do it, just hang in there!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    shaytuck wrote: »
    Mkay so this week has been hard for me. Like extremely hard! Typically I don't turn into a raging *kitten* until about 4 but this week it's been 2 so I've been eating an apple and cheese stick around that time to hold me over until I get home. I'm trying my best to stick to OMAD but I can't be on *kitten* mode with 2 more hours of work left and then a little one to pick up right after before eating. Cheer camp also started this week and that has me pushing back my meal time so I can take my daughter. Today I have the apple and cheese stick on standby but I'm gonna try to hold off as long as possible (it's currently 1 here in Cali).

Have you considered moving your mealtime to a time that might make your day a bit easier?

Um what else, I know you don't agree with weighing yourself often but I'm addicted. Can't help it. My weight has been so stupid lately. I got down to 208 my first week on OMAD and then it was up to 214 just two days ago but today I get on the scale and it's 209.

And it surprises you that your body fluctuates? Your lack of recall on this important fact is indicative of this becoming an obsession. The idea is to think LESS about your weight, not MORE. Otherwise, it will become increasingly harder to stay focused.

I ate nothing but carbs yesterday so I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out what I can eat and what I can't while on the OMAD journey. Some days I feel like maintaining a low carb diet while on this journey is beneficial then days like yesterday happen where I eat pizza and lose three pounds (I was 212 the day before). The only thing keeping me sane is the happyscale app which kinda gives you an average based on the numbers you plug in daily and it helps me set realistic goals.

What in the world are you talking about? Again, you want to think less about food, not more. If you are hungry on a given day for eggs and sausage or whatnot, then go for it. But don't do it because it's low carb. The big benefit of OMAD is that not only is it simple to arrange, but you can have whatever you want. I chose this plan because it means I can have noodles and pizza for my meal if I so choose. I'm going to do an update in my feed on this topic. It seems that many are messaging me with getting mentally lost in bits and pieces of different eating plans, when in fact doing so only brings you closer to failure. You are not taking advantage of OMAD as you should be (see last response paragraph).

And although I have no hard facts on the matter, those who bring in higher carb combos with OMAD do seem to lose weight faster--for reasons I'm not entirely sure of.

Food lasts longer in the house now that I'm not taking lunch, I love not having to meal prep anymore and I love really large meals lol. One thing that bothers me is that my husband says this is creating bad habits. He uses the word binge often but I honestly don't eat more than I did before (most days). I have to show him my food diary at least once a week so he gets it. I'm simply eating everything I would have eaten throughout the day in one sitting. It's actually hard some days to eat the amount of calories I need for the day, especially if it's healthier food since the protein tends to make me fuller faster.

Creating "bad habits"? Hah! The uninitiated will say anything! Any habit that brings control to a person by regulating the amount of food they consume is a good habit! But you shouldn't be debating OMAD. Don't feel the need to justify it to anyone. When I was still 300+ lbs, my uncle lost $200 thinking I'd jump ship and eventually go back to my old eating ways. But I never debated it with him. I just said: "You'll be around and you'll see when I drop clothes sizes." And that's what happened.

But the term "binge" doesn't fit anyway since that implies uncontrolled eating. You are eating a slightly larger but controlled meal, no?

Taking the little one to Disneyland this weekend for her birthday - OMAD is going to be a huge struggle for me as I love amusement park crap (dippin dots, funnel cake etc.).

Have fun at Disneyland. But as stated above, you aren't taking full advantage of OMAD because OMAD means you are making a deal with your body that you will be able to eat what you want. Your meal needs to meet you halfway every day. Your taste buds and mind get what they want and "fat sanitation services" must come and pick up the "fat trash" on your body. And in return, you have to give up some mental satisfaction. It's tough, but it's a win-win.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't modify my OMAD plan to fit your needs. And a cheese stick or apple won't put you over the calorie marker, I don't think (others have lost weight adding in a small 100-cal snack in the day). I'm saying you shouldn't be uneasy with the adjustment. You went in being warned of the sacrifice and you should appreciate the return on the difficulty, knowing that you "ordered" something--it's just a matter of time before "delivery." You've got to keep things in perspective and make peace with the process now. When you accept something, you learn to live with it--in this case, hunger. It won't be forever. You have to remind yourself of that.
  • shaytuck
    Options
    I chose that time of the day to eat with my family. Having dinner with them is important to me.

It doesn't surprise me that my weight fluctuates only by how much. I've already stated more than once that I enjoy getting on the scale daily. I also stated that the app I have puts things in perspective for me so that I don't go insane.

I can't speak for other people but I can say I'm coming from a low carb eating plan (about 6 months) and I'm only three weeks into OMAD. So, it's still hard for me to wrap my mind around eating pizza and beer and losing three pounds. I don't know why that seemed to irritate you so much when we're all trying to break habits no matter what eating plan we choose to take on. My downfall is the scale and the continuous thought that if I eat fries I'm going to gain another 50 pounds. I've spent the last two years worrying about what I eat and how much I weigh so changing that in three weeks just isn't gonna happen. I'm working on it by experimenting.

As far as my husband, he calls this bingeing which I'm definitely not doing then notices how much smaller my waist is getting. When I broke down and had that Apple the other day my coworker acted as though she had won a bet herself as she also thinks this way of eating is strange. It pissed me off that she was so satisfied by what she thinks is me quitting when really it was just a minor setback. Like I said, this week for some reason has felt like day one all over again but I have no plans to change it.
  • arguablysamson
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That's cool. Oh, please don't read that as me being irritated in the least. I was far, far from it. But I don't want you to come unglued.

As far as everyone else is concerned, you are just someone else doing a mere fad diet, and so they expect failure (I guess that makes sense, no?) Try never to say why you aren't eating. "I'm good on that," or "I've taken care of that" and bowing out tend to be better ways of not discussing it verses: "Oh, I'm doing one meal a day..." People have written me in tears on the grief they get from others. lol Me, I'm a very direct communicator, so I can deal with these things, but the vast majority of people cannot, I've learned.

Oh, and I meant to add that is cool about that app. I hadn't heard of it.
  • vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the one meal a day eating but only Sunday thru Thursday. On Friday and Saturday I keep under calories. This has worked for me because I don't feel deprived. I also don't eat set time. It depends on what's going on that day. I've been losing about 2 lbs weekly. And I run 3x a week. I'm a mother of 7 and am very busy and this fits in my schedule. Good luck to all. :-)
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    I'm doing the one meal a day eating but only Sunday thru Thursday. On Friday and Saturday I keep under calories. This has worked for me because I don't feel deprived. I also don't eat set time. It depends on what's going on that day. I've been losing about 2 lbs weekly. And I run 3x a week. I'm a mother of 7 and am very busy and this fits in my schedule. Good luck to all. :-)

Nice work. Welcome!
  • LinDiSm26262
    Options
    I'm lucky because I have my own private office at work and I don't take lunch so I can leave an hour early. I don't have to listen to criticism. However, when I first began OMAD I had a some comments on MFP about my food diary showing only dinner. With some direction, I learned that I didn't have to answer those comments and just ignored them.
  • LinDiSm26262
    Options

W-E-L-C-O-M-E !!
  • shaytuck
    Options
    I just want you guys to know.......I had beignet's, fries, beer, wine, ice cream and all kinds of yummy crappy stuff at Disney. It was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't follow OMAD Saturday-Sunday but got right back on it and still managed to come down, only .2 pounds, but it's down and that makes me happy. I couldn't weigh myself the 4 days I was away....felt like torture LOL. kbye!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Occasional splurges do actually help in weight loss. I am not one bit kidding. That is such good news you got to recharge your batteries. Now, you are right back and ready for more losses! :-)
  • shaytuck
    Options
    My snacking turned into a complete separation from OMAD. Every day I keep saying that I will get back on board "tomorrow" and I never do. My birthday is Friday and we're going out of town for the weekend so I'm pretty sure I won't be committed to stick to it then either. But I'm here for motivation. Luckily I haven't gained any weight this month, but I haven't lost any either. I failed all of my little summer goals though I swear lol.
  • M_Foote
    M_Foote Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have been there, ma'am. Not so far with OMAD, but when I was just doing the calorie counting. Don't get me wrong; I have not been the pinnacle of steadfastness here either, but it has been waaay better.

As for encouragement:
    1. You did not gain
    2. You did not gain
    3. You now know that this way actually does work if you focus
    4. I had to stop saying tomorrow. I have literally exited a drive through line and have also put a meal in the garbage. TODAY, NOW, not tomorrow is the only way I can stay focused
    5. I really think you can do it if you start today. Already eat? Be done for the rest of the day.

How often do you go on special trips and such? At one point, I had to just accept that things I used to use as an excuse to overeat had to stop. I was probably much worse:
    • Payday Lunch
    • Monday Donuts
    • Saturday Breakfast
    • Friday Family Dinner
    • Date Night
    • Sunday Family Lunch

After a few weeks of looking at that pattern, I knew why I hadn't lost any weight. I wasn't doing anything to lose it. It was at this point I realized that I had to quit pushing my success off until tomorow/Monday/next week, and just own the fact that what I was doing NOW was the only thing I could change with certainty. TOMORROW, I might have any number of excuses that are even more logical than today's. TODAY, I can own what I eat.

I don't know about your exercise either, but those are the hardest calories for me to give up. I mostly blame my too-hard exercise efforts over the last couple weeks for my stagnation. Hard exercise is difficult to maintain in conjunction with a hard caloric deficit.

Anyway, you can do this. You really can. TODAY.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    M_Foote wrote: »
    I have been there, ma'am. Not so far with OMAD, but when I was just doing the calorie counting. Don't get me wrong; I have not been the pinnacle of steadfastness here either, but it has been waaay better.

As for encouragement:
    1. You did not gain
    2. You did not gain
    3. You now know that this way actually does work if you focus
    4. I had to stop saying tomorrow. I have literally exited a drive through line and have also put a meal in the garbage. TODAY, NOW, not tomorrow is the only way I can stay focused
    5. I really think you can do it if you start today. Already eat? Be done for the rest of the day.

How often do you go on special trips and such? At one point, I had to just accept that things I used to use as an excuse to overeat had to stop. I was probably much worse:
    • Payday Lunch
    • Monday Donuts
    • Saturday Breakfast
    • Friday Family Dinner
    • Date Night
    • Sunday Family Lunch

After a few weeks of looking at that pattern, I knew why I hadn't lost any weight. I wasn't doing anything to lose it. It was at this point I realized that I had to quit pushing my success off until tomorow/Monday/next week, and just own the fact that what I was doing NOW was the only thing I could change with certainty. TOMORROW, I might have any number of excuses that are even more logical than today's. TODAY, I can own what I eat.

I don't know about your exercise either, but those are the hardest calories for me to give up. I mostly blame my too-hard exercise efforts over the last couple weeks for my stagnation. Hard exercise is difficult to maintain in conjunction with a hard caloric deficit.

Anyway, you can do this. You really can. TODAY.

I got nothing to add to that! Well said!
  • shaytuck
    Options
    "Special" trips would be for birthdays (July, August and October) and we try to go on one big trip a year which will be January 2016. We live in the middle of nowhere though so we try to get out of here for a day or two at least once a month but it's been a lot more since it's summer. I'm not trying to make excuses. I know I'm messing up I just don't know how to get back because I'm soooo unmotivated. I did eat lunch today so I'm going to go ahead and skip dinner tonight. You're right, I need to just do it now.
  • LinDiSm26262
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Same with me....looking back at my eating habits:

Monday - It's the beginning of the week so I'll eat what I want and begin better eating tomorrow.
    Thursday - Payday, nice lunch and out to dinner with a friend.
    Friday - Free doughnuts at work and later that evening 'Thank God it's Friday' special treat.
    Sunday - Lunch after church and then a nice homemade dinner.

I just had to stop the cycle I was on and OMAD is what did it for me. There were some times that I didn't stay true to the program but this is to be expected when you're trying to change your habits. Don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't gain and that is great!!

I know you can do this even when you go out of town. Look forward to a nice lunch or dinner by going to a great restaurant and eating anything you want. Have a good coffee or tea selection for breakfast and lunch and ask the restaurant fix you a mixed fruit salad with yogurt for breakfast or lunch so you won't feel deprived. It's a lite meal and it will tide you over until dinner.
  • M_Foote
    M_Foote Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    "Special" trips would be for birthdays (July, August and October) and we try to go on one big trip a year which will be January 2016. We live in the middle of nowhere though so we try to get out of here for a day or two at least once a month but it's been a lot more since it's summer. I'm not trying to make excuses. I know I'm messing up I just don't know how to get back because I'm soooo unmotivated. I did eat lunch today so I'm going to go ahead and skip dinner tonight. You're right, I need to just do it now.

Believe me, I fully empathize. (especially with "the middle of nowhere") You can do it! Again, FOR ME, the pattern of "overeating today because I failed yesterday in hopes of doing better tomorrow" worked out about as well as it looks written down.

At some point you make a choice, motivated or not. I am pretty motivated today after doing some exercise last night that reminded me of how far I have yet to go. If the scale is down on Friday, I will be less motivated because I see that as "I'm doing all right, THIS little snack won't hurt". Maybe I can make the right choice, maybe not. But that's tomorrow; today I have coworker-provided donuts, a brother wanting to do dinner while he is in town, a lunch appointment, and the usual snacks laying about the office. Not that I have it harder than anyone else, I merely mention it to reinforce the idea of focusing NOW.

You've got this if you want to get it!