Mayo question

KeithF6250
KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
I don't own an immersion blender and I've never made my own mayo but I'm fascinated by the videos of a blender stuck into a cup of oil, egg and spices and mayo appearing. Most recipes seem to stick to olive oil. My question: if one were to make a a toastless BLT would it make sense to slather it with mayo made from bacon drippings? Or for beef, tomato & cheese in a lettuce wrap use a mayo from egg, beef tallow and horse radish?

Replies

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited July 2015
    wow keith, interesting. I don't know but I'm interested to know what others think. It sounds good!

I make my mayo with "vegetable" oil or sunflower oil 'cause we have a lot of it here. I find olive oil has too strong a taste for me.

I also don't use an emulsion blender 'cause I dont have one either. I just use an old fashioned whisk and elbow grease. It doesn't get as thick that way but that's ok with me. I use it as a dip for everything as well and as salad dressing. I like it way better than the store bought mayo.

I put apple cider vinegar and lemon juice, mustard and onion powder along with the eggs and oil. We absolutely love it!

When I want it thick for some reason I just put some in the magic bullet, then it magically gets super thick almost instantly. But ... then you have to try and clean it out of that cup.

Maybe I'll just go ahead and try it. Between the two of us here we use about 1L of mayo a week! ( 2 cups for the Beast and 2 cups for me 'cause mine has lots of extra salt and lite salt) So... I have ample opportunity. The beast only eats food as a vehicle to consume condiments so he's happy to try anything. :-)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Tallow or bacon grease would likely be too solid for mayo. I've read of some people using half-and-half with light tasting olive oil (not EVOO or regular, that's the rule no matter what recipe you're using) and half bacon grease or coconut oil. Gives it a different flavor and a heavier body but still emulsifies and stays spreadable.
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    What about avocado oil? I know the Primal Brand makes one now, it can't be that hard to make...
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    What's the difference between an immersion blender and a regular one?
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Immersion blenders don't have a jar, just a blade on the end of a stick. You literally immerse them in whatever you're blending.

I find them less effective for stuff like soups or smoothies, but they work like a charm if you're frothing bpc or making homemade mayo. Plus they're super easy to clean.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    @SlimBride2Be here is a video of making mayo with an immersion blender:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=78&v=i090qmXzoz4 .
    @kirkor good point about viscosity, probably best to start with a blend of oil & warm bacon grease. Now will my wife let me buy a new toy?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I have a hand mixer with a whisk attachment, and it works beautifully to do homemade mayo. I think it is @Dragonwolf who uses things like black walnut oil and macadamia oil as a small portion of the total oil to give great flavor. There is a Paleo recipe that you put everything in and it works together - maybe on the whole 30 program. It's the only one I've ever made and I love it...I just haven't it again since I had a flopped batch... But the site gives instructions for how to rescue that, too!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    @socalprincess1 yep avocado oil is what I use, it works great! (in addition, I've found I prefer white wine vinegar as my acid instead of lemon or lime juice ... actually, I've got a bunch of other vinegars in the cupboard so I think I will probably end up trying them all)
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    I use light tasting olive oil and my small food processor. The trick is to slowly drizzle in the oil. I've never heard of using tallow or bacon grease.
    My recipe has and egg,lemon juice,light olive oil,salt and dry mustard. I love it...but might try avocado oil next time just to see how it tastes.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    I use light tasting olive oil and my small food processor. The trick is to slowly drizzle in the oil. I've never heard of using tallow or bacon grease.
    My recipe has and egg,lemon juice,light olive oil,salt and dry mustard. I love it...but might try avocado oil next time just to see how it tastes.

Using this recipe, you just dump everything in and don't have to mess with that precise drizzle mess. Super simple.

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

They even give you instructions for how to make it into homemade ranch if for some reason your egg doesn't emulsify properly....
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Just popping in to say I LOVE mayo! That is all. Oh, and bacon mayo sounds amazing!
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    I've never liked mayo but I'm very intrigued to try my own...another adventure for next month...
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    @toadqueen I was always kind of "meh, whatever" about mayo until I made my own!! Tried a few different tweaks, and like I said above... for better or worse, now we eat at least a litre of the stuff a week! Highly recommend you try it. We don't mess with the 'drizzle slowly' bit either. I don't dump it all in, but maybe 1/8 to a 1/4 cup in at a time. (my recipe uses 2 cups oil) And I don't even use a blender, just a regular whisk. don't be intimidated! Give it a go!
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    I make mayo with an immersion blender all the time, I use regular olive oil and it's not strong tasting just don't use extra virgin. Avocado oil is good too but pretty expensive where I am. I would't use an oil that solidifies when cold though.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    I think I did about half bacon grease (melted, but not hot) and half MCT oil. It was AWESOME on bacon cheese burgers and weird as hell in tuna.