Nutritional Percentages???

Options
ellynmae
ellynmae Posts: 11 Member
Hi All -
I'm 63 pounds with a starting weight of 250 pounds. I'm currently on a medically supervised 1500cal high protein diet as a requirement for gastric sleeve bariatric surgery. I've lost 19.5 pounds in 3.5 months even while traveling the whole time. In fact, I'm doing so well using MFP that my nutritionist indicated that I will likely go below 40BMI before the 6 months are up and my PCP also suggests that I put off the surgery.

I really love MFP and I've logged faithfully every day! I get 90 to 100 grams of protein a day. Other than that, I strive for a balance of fats, carbs and protein. I am not low carb but I steer away from simple carbs. I'm wondering what the rest of you use as goals. Any thoughts?

Replies

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could avoid surgery all together! I don't have specific goals as far as nutrients are concerned. I go by what MFP tells me I should have but I do try to come in under in sodium and sugar. Generally, if I am well under in sugar I am under in carbs as well.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I try to hit the 50-30-20 split MFP recommends. I look at the Nutrition everyday and switch it to the 7 day view to see if I can hit the average. That way sometimes I may be high or low on one of the macros, but it balances out over the past week. Getting enough protein is usually the toughest for me. I try to stay as consistent as possible with sodium. I also input my multi vitamin and try to hit at least 100% on my micros.
  • MamaJubleez
    MamaJubleez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you are successful so far with this, then why still considering surgery? That seems so drastic and unnecessary now. Slow and steady wins the race! I have seen people with surgery and they never kept it off.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    ellynmae wrote: »
    Hi All -
    I'm 63 pounds with a starting weight of 250 pounds. I'm currently on a medically supervised 1500cal high protein diet as a requirement for gastric sleeve bariatric surgery. I've lost 19.5 pounds in 3.5 months even while traveling the whole time. In fact, I'm doing so well using MFP that my nutritionist indicated that I will likely go below 40BMI before the 6 months are up and my PCP also suggests that I put off the surgery.

I really love MFP and I've logged faithfully every day! I get 90 to 100 grams of protein a day. Other than that, I strive for a balance of fats, carbs and protein. I am not low carb but I steer away from simple carbs. I'm wondering what the rest of you use as goals. Any thoughts?

Your insurance company may not approve the surgery if your BMI gets below 40. I was at 238.5 on April 29th, I have lost 6 sizes and am at 183 now. Next Wednesday it will be 30 weeks. When I log my food and MFP says I will probably weigh 173 by Christmas, I am thrilled.

An associate had the Bariatric surgery last year, had complications and went into the hospital. It has been about 9 months and she has gained 25 pounds back. I understand the allure and I feel bad even telling you this, but doctors want to get paid just like everybody else. The after affects are played down, but they are very really. Again, I am sorry to mention it.

Add me as a friend and I will be happy to support you through your loss.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I too am 63, I went from 215 to 130 with the help pf MFP. I decided not to do anything that I couldn't sustain forever. I am not a gym rat and will never spend hours in the gym. I have learned exercise is not optional. I love my goodies, but refuse to give them up. I just moderate them, a piece of pie instead of the whole pie. I follow a more plant based diet which keeps the calories down, but I do eat sufficient protein. It is mostly fish and lean meats. I love my carbs, but like others, try to limit the simple carbs. Find what works for you, You can do this, hopefully w/o surgery. This way you learn how to eat in a way that works for a lifetime.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    @ellynmae, I agree with my fellow MFP friends here; this will be a lifestyle change for you. If you can continue to log and find a healthier eating pattern, you will be able to sustain it for the rest of your life. And I also think that it would be wonderful if you can avoid the surgical route. You are already experiencing success and paying attention to your diet. It is doable! And you will find lots of support here. You may add me as a friend. Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    As for goals, i ignore the percents. I work to reach a daily average over the course of the week of 80 - 100 grams of protein.
    I make sure to go at or over 45 grams of oil/fats a day.
    I completely ignore the carb suggestion because, for weeks when I eating vegetarian, I go over due to eating lots of garbanzo beans and lentils.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Someone recently posted why vegetarian and other lifestyles aren’t recognized as far as the nutritional info here …
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to a 40% carbs, and 30% each fats and protein. That's worked well for me and all my test results from blood work have been good along with blood pressure!

I think it's most important to find what works for you and experiment a little. I agree with others though that what you're doing now seems to be working so you might just want to stick with it and if you can, avoid surgery.........that would be fantastic I think.

Stick with MFP, try to get some exercise in (something you enjoy and will keep doing regularly), log your food honestly and daily. Making friends here, joining groups and challenges has made all the difference for me. I've been here a little over 2 years and lost over 70 lbs and plan on being here indefinitely!

I just heard from a friend who reached maintenance, left MFP and has gained 3 lbs a month for the last 16 months. She's almost back where she started. I think if we want to be successful we need to keep ourselves honest by weighing, logging and sticking to the rules we set while we lost the weight. We just get to eat a little more, that's all!

Good luck and keep us posted!!!
  • marekdds
    Options
    You are so right luluinca! I reached goal 3 years ago. I didn't leave Mfp because it has been proven that I can't be trusted on my own.
  • luluinca
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    You are so right luluinca! I reached goal 3 years ago. I didn't leave Mfp because it has been proven that I can't be trusted on my own.

Yes, I've read enough of the success and maintenance posts to know how important it is to stick around......not many of us can be trusted.

That's also why I weigh every day. I know not everyone can do that, but I don't get discouraged with little daily fluctuations, and for me it keeps me honest about the creeping weight gain that happens once we lose our focus.

You've done a great job Mare..............congrats!!!
  • marekdds
    Options
    Thanks lulu! I really admire your lifting. I wish I could get into it, but I just find it boring. I am basically a fat girl, who hates exercise. I make myself do it because I don't want to be fat anymore.
  • luluinca
    Options
    @ marekdds, I think we're all just different. There are really only 2 kinds of cardio I enjoy, one is swimming and the other walking/running with my dog but I don't like walking or running by myself. My hair can only take 1 or 2 swimming days a week and to walk the dog it makes my day start later than I like so I can only get in one or two of those a week as well.

If I don't exercise first thing in the morning I'm not disciplined enough to do it later and it won't get done............... ;)

I do the stair master and bike at the gym but hate them both and can only last about 10 minutes. I'm always itching to get my hands on barbells and dumbbells the whole time I'm crawling up those stairs.....LOL

We all have to find what we enjoy and do that I think. Like you I don't want to be fat again............I don't have time to start this all over again!
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Amen, sisters!! I haven't reached maintenence yet but you two (luluinca and marekdds) have become my BFFs! I KNOW I can't be trusted so it is affirming to know that there are those who have gone before and are willing to share their trials and triumphs with the rest of us. Thank you!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I stick with the splits MFP defaults to, but concentrate more on hitting or getting very close to my protein goal as the primary concern. That's what really helps me feel more full, followed by fats. Carbs just sort of exist to me, they don't feed my hunger as much.

But if my protein is on or near, I can eat very lean or very fatty and still feel fine for the most part.

And now I'll add people to the list of "not to be trusted". I had @luluinca pegged as one I could trust, but now I know better! :)
  • luluinca
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    I stick with the splits MFP defaults to, but concentrate more on hitting or getting very close to my protein goal as the primary concern. That's what really helps me feel more full, followed by fats. Carbs just sort of exist to me, they don't feed my hunger as much.

But if my protein is on or near, I can eat very lean or very fatty and still feel fine for the most part.

And now I'll add people to the list of "not to be trusted". I had @luluinca pegged as one I could trust, but now I know better! :)

LOL, I have a bridge I'm selling too!!!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,161 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    LOL, I have a bridge I'm selling too!!!
    Tell me more about this bridge... lol
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • luluinca
    Options
    Remember the "Bridge to Nowhere".........that's the one!