How many calories in non fasting days?

Options
h4ppiness
h4ppiness Posts: 1 Member
I want to make sure this 5.2 woks well for me. How many calories should I eat on non fasting days? I'm 5ft woman have about 14lbs to lose

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You eat maintainance on non fast days. Which at 5ft and only14lb to lose depending on your activity level and age will probably vary between 1400-1900cals. You can go to your mfp goals and set it to maintainance, add in your normal exercise level and get the number from there. Adjust accordingly if needed.

I'm also only 5'1.5'', 46y, 6-7lb left to lose, lightly active in daily life = 1600cals. This does not include my workout cals. I add them on top of it as this motivates me to get my a** movin'. So I land between 1600-2200 depending on the day and the exercise.
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    And for contrast. I'm 5'5" 141lbs but physically very inactive because of a health condition. MFP seems to overestimate my calories. I reckon that maintenance is actually under 1400 for me. Fitbit tells me 1350 based on my movements!

I've heard it said that your appetite on the non-fast days generally puts you at about the right level - if you have been doing the fast days correctly - and I think there is some truth in this.

Before starting, I thought my appetite on the non-fast days would increase dramatically to compensate for the fast days, but it doesn't seem to do so at all.

I still think it's worth logging foods during the 5:2 diet, just to see what's happening. Then maybe worth checking your average cals for a week, as that lets you see how doing the fasts helps bring the average lower (but would also let you see if you are being over generous on non-fast days).
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I reset my goals for MFP to 0 pounds per week and it set my cals at 1560, based on my information. (I've actually eaten a little over that most days, to compensate for workouts, but I think it's fairly close.)
  • Salkeela
    Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea Russellma - that way at least some days MFP likes what you are doing! LOL
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you go to the home page on this group and click on where it says http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ click on where it says how it works and you can find out how many calories you need on NFDs
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I just noticed the you can click on the link I posted and it works.
  • magsxx
    magsxx Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't count on fast days, I have found my appetite has reduced naturally itself :) each to their own depending what suits!
  • mrsgreen5686
    mrsgreen5686 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Can someone help me? I am new to this 5:2 and very jubius of hiw many calories I should be eating on non fast days. I have been eating between 1200 and 150 but no idea what I should be having? Any help please x
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    mrsgreen5686 it was suggested to me that I set my calorie goal to maintenance in MFP and eat those calories on my NF days. That has worked really well for me. A physician I work with that does IF and is a real leader in fitness and healthy eating suggested up to 2000calories/day - however I can't eat that many unless I do some sweets, and I'm avoiding added sugar intake. the Maintenance level of calories work best for me
  • mrsgreen5686
    Options
    Ok thank you. Just another quick one. Does it matter if you eat less? If I feel full up? Will I not just lose weight quicker the less calories I eat? Or does it not work like that? Sorry to be a pest
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    you are not a pest. If I'm not hungry and don't have all those calories in, I don't eat. Eating when I'm not hungry got me here in the first place. IF has taught me to listen to my body, stop when I'm full and don't eat when I'm not hungry. I've found that the day after fasting, I fill up easy and don't get very hungry most of the day. Roll with it, be grateful you're not hungry and have something non-processed and healthy when you are.
  • mrsgreen5686
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    you are not a pest. If I'm not hungry and don't have all those calories in, I don't eat. Eating when I'm not hungry got me here in the first place. IF has taught me to listen to my body, stop when I'm full and don't eat when I'm not hungry. I've found that the day after fasting, I fill up easy and don't get very hungry most of the day. Roll with it, be grateful you're not hungry and have something non-processed and healthy when you are.

Thank you so much. I am away this weekend with my hubby for a long needed night away on our own. I have decided to have a drink of alcohol but can't help worry about weight gain in the morning. However I know I can restart all over again next week. I only want to lose another 18lb I find the maintaining stage the hardest. But I think with this diet it's much more sustainable than any I have done before. P.s Thanks for the add xx
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I put my info to a separate (from mfp) calculator for bmr and tdee that someone linked in the general weight loss forum here at mfp

It took my gender, age, height, weight & activity level (aside from intentional exercise) and gave me 1550