Bydureon: care to share your experience/ thoughts?

Options
CrisEBTrue
CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
I just started Bydureon.
It's a once a week injection; I just did my third one today.

Because my doc took me off Actoplusmet and Januvia my BS went UP. I'm still on metformin without the actos.. Allegedly Bydureon will take awhile to kick in. I've had some issues with stomach upset and diarrhea.

I haven't changed my eating habits; I'm eating the same things I was before.
But to look at my numbers, you'd think I'd raided a French pastry shop.

:/

Replies

• cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Just saw this. I started on Byetta 3 years ago (which is twice daily) and used for 7 months until the stomach side effects got too bad. Then switched to Bydureon. I was als on metformin slow release (1000 2x a day). I immediately saw my BS numbers go up. After about 8 weeks I was getting good readings again. After more than 2 years on Bydureon, my fasting # is usually in the low 80s to low 90s range, my 2 hr after meal readings are 120 or less. I can't remember the last time I was above 150. I have even been in the 60s (which is low for me). My last A1C was 5.9

On the Byetta/Bydureon medications I have lost 95 lbs. and changed my life. I work really hard to make good food choices, even with the medication because diet is a huge component in my health and well being.

Hang in there with the Bydureon. It will get better. By the way, I haven't had side effects with Bydureon, except that I'm really miserable when I eat more than I should.
  • CrisEBTrue
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oh thanks for responding!!!
    This is GOOD to hear.

I've lost several pounds since I started using the Bydureon.
    It's the first time in my adult life I've ever sat and looked at a plate of food, picked at it, felt immediately FULL, and stopped eating.

I'm also taking Metformin 2x a day..

At first I had some stomach cramping and diarrhea.. Now, after I do the weekly injection, I feel a bit nauseated for a day or so. Food tastes funny. :p
    My poor thighs have these lumpy bruises at the injection sites; they look like an old piece of fruit that's ready for the trash. LOL
    At least I don't need to worry about being seen in a bikini. :D

I'm looking forward to my readings dropping!

Thanks again for the encouragement. :)
  • gigglalot
    gigglalot Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd month of Bydureon. It took 4 weeks/injections for the stomach upset to go away and for my readings to get better. I'm a vet for this medicine type. I started Byetta when it first came out then victoza, and then Bydureon. I have had 2 babies and was insulin during those pregnancies, anyway, what I want to get at is that these medicines never magically gave me weight loss like others report. I'm working hard on here to watch my carbs and cals and slowly seeing results. If you don't see loss you aren't alone.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    gigglalot wrote: »
    I'm on my 3rd month of Bydureon. It took 4 weeks/injections for the stomach upset to go away and for my readings to get better. I'm a vet for this medicine type. I started Byetta when it first came out then victoza, and then Bydureon. I have had 2 babies and was insulin during those pregnancies, anyway, what I want to get at is that these medicines never magically gave me weight loss like others report. I'm working hard on here to watch my carbs and cals and slowly seeing results. If you don't see loss you aren't alone.

I'm going to start victoza and my doctor was hoping for weight loss so I'm hoping it drops weight for me.
  • CrisEBTrue
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I meant to add, Cathy..... congratulations on losing 95 lbs. That is inspirational, for sure.

:)

GO US! <3

• cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The medicine isn't an easy way to lose weight - it is another tool. I cleaned up my diet and was very strict with myself. There was no shortcut. And I still have to really control my diet to keep the weight off. But I believe it wouldn't have happened without this medicine.
  • egoheen
    egoheen Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I started off on Byetta. I have never been pregnant, but I learned what it felt like to have morning sickness. I was so sick all the time that even blinking made me throw up. As a teacher, I didn't have access to the bathroom on a regular basis and if I overate, I threw up terribly.

I switched to Victoza, which was wonderful. I would still be on it except I haven't been compliant with my meds so my new doctor offered Bydurian. I had minimal side effects with the Victoza. It doesn't have the same dramatic drop in my numbers, but it does keep them stable AND I can't beat the once a week thing. I'm more compliant with my meds for the first time in my life. I have had NO effects - not even when I've overeaten - so I'm surprised to see others reporting that they did. I could not tolerate Metformin at all.

I hate taking pills so this was much better for me - I apparently don't mind the injections as much.

Hope your experiences with Bydurian ends up great like mine! (NOW if I could just get the rest of my meds once a week, I'll be happy.)

In the course of the meds, I've lost about 30 pounds. I obviously had to change my eating habits, too, but like another person said, I couldn't have lost this without the meds.
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for chiming with your experiences.

Oh, when I said I haven't changed my eating habits, I meant that I was already eating moderately and avoiding sugar.. doing all the right things. I haven't drastically changed that. The Bydureon is curious because I have less appetite now. I'll be happily slowly munching my way thru a meal and suddenly.. BAM. I just don't want any more food. Also I joined a gym in May and I've lost some weigh because of that, too.

It's frustrating that my numbers still aren't better. I don't want to go back on Januvia, etc... that stuff is just too darn expensive. I'm just going on a day at a time, a meal at a time.

Good wishes to everyone for success and good health!
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    I think this medication is ineffective for me. My numbers are actually going up.

What do they put in this stuff-sugar?? *kidding*

• CrisEBTrue
    Options
    So. I think that for me, Bydureon is like injecting myself with water.

I can't get anything below 200. This morning I worked outside in the yard for over 2 hours.
    Hacking, slashing, chopping, pulling, sweeping. It finally got too hot for me and I stopped.

When I came in I was like oh yay, my BS will be down. I took a shower and cleaned up.
    Measured and I was at 214.

I was still hot, so I went out on the sun porch to sit under the fan, drink some ice water and cool off a bit.
    A few minutes later I was feeling weird so I measured again and in NINE minutes my numbers went UP from 214 to 313. WTH

I read this article. Interesting. Depressing, actually.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/blog/why-does-my-sugar-go-up-after-exercise/

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    CrisEBTrue wrote: »

I can't get anything below 200. This morning I worked outside in the yard for over 2 hours.
    Hacking, slashing, chopping, pulling, sweeping. It finally got too hot for me and I stopped.

When I came in I was like oh yay, my BS will be down. I took a shower and cleaned up.

I was still hot, so I went out on the sun porch to sit under the fan, drink some ice water and cool off a bit.
    A few minutes later I was feeling weird so I measured again and in NINE minutes my numbers went UP from 214 to 313. WTH

My endo only wants me to do light exercise for just this reason. This morning we walked the flea market and did a little shopping at wal-mart, sure enough my sugar was up a little for lunch.

• CrisEBTrue
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My god.

A few years ago, when I had a different health insurance, one of the nurses called me and asked once if I felt depressed as a result of being type2 diabetic. I said it comes and goes; that mostly I was frustrated. :/

Right now... I am really discouraged and yes.. I suppose wanting to burst into tears after I read the meter could be defined as depression. :p haha

We have a huge yard and I hadn't done anything out there in ages (toooo hot). But you know how it is; once you start, there's no place to stop. If you cut the greenstuff, you have to sweep it up, haul it away..or leave the mess and hope to get back to it the next day or so (weather permitting) I lost track of time: I just wanted to finish it up. I got overheated and worst of all most of the time I think I'm still 30 years old. o:)

I've joined a gym a couple of months ago, and so far I'm limiting myself to 20-30 minutes on a stationary bike.
    In the past when I did too much, my sugars went DOWN, like. LOW, hence the limit.

But lately, since switching meds, I'd noticed my numbers would be up or the same when I got back from the gym... I guess I'll be sticking to my old lady routine.

Thanks for responding to my rant.

<3

• pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options

My endo only wants me to do light exercise for just this reason. This morning we walked the flea market and did a little shopping at wal-mart, sure enough my sugar was up a little for lunch.
    I found that since I was out of weight heavy duty exercising turned out to be too stressful and my BS went up afterwards. Regular walking for 30 minutes every day or every other day is good for those of us who are not in tip top shape!

• CrisEBTrue
    Options
    I met with the pharmacist today at the medical office. I showed him evidence on my BS tracking phone app of how my blood sugar has skyrocketed since changing medication. I'm going to add Aptos back into the equation.

[/quote] I found that since I was out of weight heavy duty exercising turned out to be too stressful and my BS went up afterwards. Regular walking for 30 minutes every day or every other day is good for those of us who are not in tip top shape!

[/quote]

It's frustrating, isn't it!
    I did go to the gym this morning and pedaled on the stationary bike for 25 minutes.
    I joined the gym because the weather here is extreme. When it's hot it's WAYY hot, like 95 with a lot of humidity.
    And then it can rain unexpectedly. Of course winter is COLD.
    It's been nice here lately so maybe I can fit a walk in later this week.
    I hooked up with Silver Sneakers for my gym membership. At least I can go there, rain or shine, consistently.

It's possible that I may not be able to lose any more weight. Especially going back on Actos; one of the side effects is: weight gain. I knew that; I gained 15 lbs (the same weight i just lost) when I was taking it before. :s
    I'm on cholesterol and blood pressure meds too and I KNOW those cause weight gain.

The doctor told me that I'm best off controlling my blood sugar levels than stressing out about trying to "lose".. that I should do my best to stay in the best shape I can.

It's a conundrum.
    Diabetics should exercise
    Overweight diabetics need to exercise
    It's hard to exercise when you're overweight
    Too much exercise can be detrimental, chemically

*end of rant*

o:)

• CrisEBTrue
    Options
    Update:

The Bydureon simply was not working. Not only was it not working, my numbers tracking showed that while
    I had increased my exercise, reduced carbs, lost almost 20 lbs, etc etc... my blood glucose levels had gone UP.
    While on Bydureon, my A1C went up to 11 (from a pre-Bydureon 7.1). :o

Geez; I still think that stuff has hi-fructose corn syrup as its main ingredient. >:)

I went off it and interestingly enough, my numbers started to drop.

Along with other changes, my doctor put me on Lantos. I'm still working out the dosage but I've only injected twice and my morning BS readings have decreased. I was freaked out about doing the insulin, but for some of us... it is apparently the only thing left if the pancreas is useless.

So far so good.

• winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Awesome that the insulin is working out for you. I worked for me very well when I was pregnant as well as when type 2 was diagnosed. People always freak about the insulin but once you figure it out it's quite easy!
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options
    Thanks. I WAS freaked out about it. I'm still adjusting to it, but I think it will be ok.

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I WAS freaked out about it. I'm still adjusting to it, but I think it will be ok.

The only thing I haven't adjusted to is the price for my diabetes drugs.
    $75. for Victoza, $50. for insulin, $50. for needles, $20. for Metformin
    $9. for 50 test strips.
  • CrisEBTrue
    Options

The only thing I haven't adjusted to is the price for my diabetes drugs.
    $75. for Victoza, $50. for insulin, $50. for needles, $20. for Metformin
    $9. for 50 test strips.

Yeah. That's tough. :/