100m wilderness (again)

Options
Ok so I had previously posted asking about non-tent sleeping options, and food that doesn't require a stove. I received a lot of great advice, and will be taking the Alpkit Hunka bivvy bag, Katahdin water pump, and no stove (I had a some people tell me I ought to bring one but I'm being a bit stubborn).
My question now is do you have any other general advice?
I hiked this last year in nine days, and am shooting for eight this time. This will also be my first solo hike (yay! I should mention that despite this I'm far from inexperienced). I'm going in about four weeks.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Bring a camera.
  • wtgrey
    wtgrey Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out a SPOT GPS, which can bring help if you need it. You also can use it to let family members track you.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Bring a back-up water purification method-- I've had katydids break on trips in the past. Without a stove I'm guessing you won't have a fire-safe container to boil water in. I carry a vial of iodine tabs in my emergency bag, an ounce that can save a life is worth it...
  • patrickjd9
    patrickjd9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Agree with Cheesy on carrying a backup water purifying method. Also, share your specific night-by-night plan with a trusted person.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Oh, and wrap your hiking poles in duct tape, you can tear off pieces to use if you need it. And dental floss can be used for all kinds of gear repair-- sewing, tying things together, etc.

Make sure you know how to read your maps, judge distance hiked as you go, and have a bail-out plan in case something goes seriously wrong.

Patrick's right about leaving your hiking plan with a friend. Include a day and time for that friend to contact the rangers if s/he hasn't heard from you. Factor in the time it may take if you hit bad weather and have shorter days than expected, and drive time to get back into cell range. Whenever I'm on a solo hike (even a day hike) I check in with a friend when I leave and when I get back. If I'm on a multi-day hike I try to check-in if I'm in a state park or other area with phone service. (Write down their number somewhere in case your phone completely dies, too!)