New Swimmer

Options
MermaidBex
MermaidBex Posts: 49 Member
Hello! I've never had a chance to be on a swim team, but I can swim well enough. I want to improve my swimming to a large degree. I want to be a mermaid. I am planning on classes and hoping to join the Y (only local pool I know of). In the mean time, I'm swimming as often as I can manage to get out to the lake. A great big hello from a Michigan mermaid. ;)

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the waterworld! Taking classes is a great way to improve your technique so you can swim longer and harder!
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome! You will soon be addicted, I am sure of that.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the pool! I started swimming almost a year ago with my youngest daughter, and today at her swim meet, I thought, "Mmmm, I love the smell of chlorine!"
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Curly girl, I had that same thought as I walked from the locker room to the pool today :)
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm sure you can become a mermaid. :smile:
  • MermaidBex
    Options
    Thank you Peters. After the day I've had, I've no doubt either. Mind you, Saturday is my day of rest, so we were only messing around, but I lost a little more calories then I do on any other day of the week working far harder. I didn't even mention the time it took to walk through the sand out to our spot and back to the car again. :smiley:

I surprised myself with how well I could do a front float, something I thought I'd have to learn. I've been able to do a back float for years, nothing different today. Hubby coached me best I could with technique, kicking from the hip rather than the knee.

He's not a swim instructor, but I've never had official training... yet! The Y has beginner classes. I have to find classes after that. Any way, using his technique, I was surprised at how good of a dolphin kick I was able to do and at what distance. I also worked on my breathing technique. That may seem like a lot, but we were out there for 3 hours. Mostly, we just enjoyed the water.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
  • MermaidBex
    Options
    My throat feels scalded. I'm wondering if this has any thing to do with water hitting me in the head and going down my throat as the waves came in to shore and or sometimes inadvertently drinking it when I couldn't get up fast enough from practicing breathe control. (We're talking Lake Michigan here.) If so what can/should I do about it, if any thing?

Hoping I don't have to take the day off from exercising. I had been planning a tough day today, to make up for slacking off (slightly) Friday and keeping myself going in the right direction. Also wanted to go swimming again if hubby can get home early enough, but with my throat the way it is, can't say it doesn't make me a little concerned about the prospect of the day. I figured a team of swimmers more accustomed to swimming and its problems might have some advice for me.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our group. Hope your throat feels better. I think you soreness is, you may have been exposed to some one with a cold. Do some dog ,walking if you can't get in a swim, just stay active. Your dog will appreciate a long walk.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Laura I am glade you found our group. I think you will find us supportive. I followed your intro out on the main forms. Some folks can be just mean. Here we are friendlier and good luck working toward your mermaid tail.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i could see a raw throat maybe from salt water ....but i wouldnt think so from lake michigan? Never had that from chlorine ...
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Never seen a mean post in the swimming section. Mermaids are cool.
  • MermaidBex
    Options
    I tend to get a head ache from getting water up my nose. Something I developed in a near drowning incident as a kid. Never noticed any issues before that.

I'm still not convinced it wasn't the cold lake on scarred lungs that didn't cause the original incident, but can't say for sure it was either. I didn't notice any sore throat before our swim. Honestly hope I'm wrong; I'm a very determined mer! That said, I've had cold like symptoms since last night. Running on low steam today. Taking Zinc, water and lots of rest.

Did go for a walk yesterday with Reese (get at least 1 mile, if not more, every day), when I had better stamina and thought it was only a sore throat.

Can 5-6 cases of bronchitis and a case of walking pneumonia give people problems in cold water? How do you take care of your body to keep lung and ear problems at bay?
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    I had pneumonia as a teen, and bronchitis and sinus infections throughout my life. I find that swimming and chlorine actually help my lungs. possibly a combination of the drying effect of the chlorine plus the heavy breathing required moves a lot of phlegm! I use After Swim or a drop of rubbing alcohol in one ear that is prone to ear infections
  • MermaidBex
    Options
    Thanks, Rose! Of course, I was swimming in a lake. No chlorine. Think natural water would give you problems?

As for my ears, both constant issues my entire life. I'll have to try that! Thanks! Is there a difference between After Swim and rubbing alcohol or do they both work just as well?
  • rosebarnalice
    Options
    After Swim basically IS dilute rubbing alcohol-- with some added stuff to make it less smelly. Once I figured that out, I just did the dilution myself. If it's too strong or you don't like the smell, try 1/2 rubbing alcohol and 1/2 vinegar. It also doesn't take much-- just a drop or two. It displaces the water, which helps dry out the ear.

I LOVE lake and ocean swimming when I get the chance, but sadly, since I'm a water ecologist in real life, I know waaaay too much about the condition of the water bodies around my area, and it's not good! Lucky you if there's a place you can do that safely!!!
  • MermaidBex
    Options
    Oh my! You have seriously lived an awesome life, haven't you? My lake is on the midwest coast of Michigan. I'm not sure what's in the water and I'm not really sure I want to know. It does have the tendency to ruin one's experience in the water, doesn't it? I love the water. I don't want to lose that zest for swimming. It would seriously put a damper on my mermaiding. I know there are extremely dangerous places to swim, though. I've seen my share of A Monster Inside Me. *shudders*
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the Chlorine, Fresh and Salt Water pluggers.