Diabetes Group

Options
cloudy68
cloudy68 Posts: 65 Member
Would anyone be interested in joining a group for people newly diagnosed with diabetes and need to really watch their carb intake?

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Sure
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. Let us know the url so we can refer people to it. Dealing with diabetes for a newbie can be confusing and challenging.
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    I have reversed type 2, not sure about how I qualify now

I was type 2 for 2 years.
  • sylviebea123
    sylviebea123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yey. I was diagnosed two weeks ago and have been low carbing but haven't lost any weight yet, (I know, ridic! Too many nuts I think) so could do with some support!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm prediabetic, or I was, and have reversed it. I'd be interested if you wanted someone like me. If not, I understand. :)
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    There is an MFP T2 diabetes group at http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

Good group but not as active as this one. I check both daily but feel I learn more here.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was Type 2 for 10 years (shooting insulin for at least 5) and reversed it 6 years ago within a few weeks through a low carb diet - Atkins.

Meat, eggs, fat, salad, nuts. 5 meals per day eating every couple of hours. Drinking only filtered water.

Movement every day. First walking, then more progressive.

This is the way to go for so many!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    I dropped from 120 units of insulin a day down to 8.
    I've only been doing LCHF for about 4 weeks, my blood glucose numbers have never been this good.
    Diabetes has been a part of my life for the last 32 years, if only I could have known then what I have learned now.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, Ken! Doctors and nutritionists had me on low fat, high carb for years and I didn't know any better. They wanted me to eat oatmeal and dairy every day with fruit. No red meat, we won't even mention bacon. They said diabetes was not reversible and were trying to schedule me for a gastric bypass because my blood glucose was through the roof even with insulin. A1c was 13, now 5.8.

Good for you and everyone else here who is learning what works for them and taking control.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would be interested.
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I hear ya, Ken! Doctors and nutritionists had me on low fat, high carb for years and I didn't know any better. They wanted me to eat oatmeal and dairy every day with fruit. No red meat, we won't even mention bacon. They said diabetes was not reversible and were trying to schedule me for a gastric bypass because my blood glucose was through the roof even with insulin. A1c was 13, now 5.8.

Good for you and everyone else here who is learning what works for them and taking control.

Some doctors are just horrible
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    @toadqueen : Wow - great & inspirational story about your journey & success! Thank goodness you finally found the right information despite all that BS you were told initially. I was lucky to discover my rising A1C very early, and reduced it from 5.8 to 5.4 in the last 5 months by simply going moderate low carb, ~75-100 grams/day.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yes, count me in!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    BTW, there are whole websites for lo-carb eating / diabetics. Although they don't have discussion forums as nice as MFP...

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / IF / Sedentary