Where to start after 1 week off for strep throat

Options
ksugirl13
ksugirl13 Posts: 32 Member
Hi! So after doing a full re-set and then being successful at a 15% cut from TDEE for a little over 2 weeks I got strep throat. It was all I could do to stay hydrated (swallowing anything hurt!) and I know I did not get nearly enough calories (stopped tracking), but I also was not active at all. I am feeling better now and have been able to swallow soft foods without pain today. I'd like to start tracking again tomorrow, but don't know where to start. Should I slowly add the calories back in? Do I aim for TDEE with cut? I'm also guessing I should lower my activity for the week to sedentary. Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I would got back to the TDEE-15% if it worked while you were healthy, unless your activity level is not back to normal yet. Then I would just do TDEE for a week and start cutting from there.

But I am not a professional trainer nor do I play one on a reality tv show.
  • ksugirl13
    Options
    Haha thanks @retirehappy Today I calculated my TDEE with the lower activity level (went to work, but still slept much more than usual) and ate that without cut. In the morning I felt stuffed and like I'd have trouble eating it all, but by the end of the day my hunger was back and it brought with it some much needed energy! I think tomorrow I will aim for my TDEE with cut with my normal activity level. I'm trying to learn to listen to my body, bu there is definitely a bit of a learning curve.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Good lesson learned - always eat appropriate to your activity level.

So when sick and not as active - you were not missing your TDEE by huge amount (maybe a little), because your TDEE was less.

Good call not doing deficit, body needs all available energy to heal.

But I'd wait until activity level is up before you use the higher TDEE. Excess calories beyond what the body needs won't necessarily help either.

Hope you get to feeling better. Careful of exercise that has you breathing more - dry throat.
  • ksugirl13
    Options
    Thanks @heybales that helps! It wasn't ideal getting sick while I'm still very much learning this process (is it ever really ideal?) but I'm grateful for this group and these forums to keep me on track.
  • MamaJubleez
    MamaJubleez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @heybales Sorry to jump in here, but i am new to the group. Trying to understand the concept of what colorie level to go with. I totally agree with not starving yourself! My problem...been steady with weight for about 3-4years now but need to lose 40-50 lbs. i have multiple health issues without a diagnosis to tie it all together. Sleep problems, migraine, muscle weakness that comes and goes, muscle pain that comes and goes in different areas. I always eat when i am hungry and get hungry when i am tired. Estimate 2200-2500 cal. I have no exercise but have started using my resistance chair. Three days ago started the mfp program which has me at 1675. I checked my tdee on that link and it was 17??. So, do i reset or cut back to lose? Confused and need help.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    MamaJubleez, Would be best for you to start a thread for your questions. Since you have not been eating a low cal. diet for an expended period time. You can probably just set up mfp for deficit and get going on that. If you have further questions, start a thread.

I suggest you do read the stickies for this group to better understand eating more to weigh less concepts.

Good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • MamaJubleez
    MamaJubleez Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you mean the posts on top, yes i went through them. Just not familiar with this community platform here. I am used to FB groups. But i was onking along the lines you suggested. Thanks.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    ksugirl13 wrote: »
    Thanks @heybales that helps! It wasn't ideal getting sick while I'm still very much learning this process (is it ever really ideal?) but I'm grateful for this group and these forums to keep me on track.

Hey, how are things going for you? Are you back on track?

• ksugirl13
    Options
    Things are good, thanks @retirehappy ! I'm back to eating at TDEE with deficit and my activity level is back up. I know that it's not all about the scale, and I'm learning not to focus on it so much, but I lost another pound this week which feels great. I'm so happy I found this group of supportive people :)
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Glad you are on the downward movement again. Congrats on getting back on track so soon.