New to group...what has been your path?

Options
energy820
energy820 Posts: 29 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
Hello,
I'm so glad to find a group of people like me who have quite a bit to lose.
I'd love to hear a bit about your journey...how much you've lost, what has gotten you there, what have been the major changes you've made...and/or anything you want to share about getting healthy.

Me for now: 329/272/~140 lbs

I am 39 y.o., happily married, and eager to have kids. I have thousands of reasons for wanting to get to a healthy weight again. But for now, the most urgent and important one is to lose for better chances of getting pregnant and to have a safe pregnancy (not to mention health for when the kiddos get here!).

My long-term goals are to have a healthy relationship with food, a strong mind-body connection, and sustained fitness so that I can live fully!

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!

Replies

• KValmera71
    KValmera71 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I can't sit here and say I am a success yet. I have yo-yo'd much of my time here. I was down 46 lbs and then my life turned upside down and I gained back 25 of it. I am a stress eater and the last 4 months have been the most stressful months of my entire life (losing my baby brother, moving to Texas where my family is and to take care of his three kids, not finding work right away, etc. But I am working on getting things back on track and slowly getting my eating habits and fitness habits back where they were prior to this nightmare. I hope you find your balance and and much luck with getting pregnant!!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    My stats are as follows:
    SW:381
    CW: 223
    GW: 180

What has gotten me here? Simple. I started and I haven't quit. Period. Not once. Not even for a day. That's really what success boils down to is that you keep going.
    While of course I want to lose the last 43 pounds… my goals are more oriented toward exercise right now. Currently training for a 10K with a marathon being the ultimate goal.
  • cyndylopez
    cyndylopez Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi. Glad you joined. My goal weight is 200 my current weight is 300. I keep losing and gaining all the time. But I want to have more children and I want to get healthier first. I have baby fever so bad right now it's getting harder to wait, but I need to be healthy for my children. So for now my plan is to get down to a size 16 before I have any more children. Currently I'm a size 24, so I have got a ways to go. It will happen.

• Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome. I started at 419 pounds. Currently weigh 155 pounds, 12% body fat and normal BMI. That's a loss of 264 pounds.

My major change was the amount of focus I placed on understanding my food intake. At 400+ pounds I ate anything and everything with no attention paid to how much or what I ate.

When I began to record my food intake, and to stick to a healthy amount of food, my weight naturally adjusted downwards.

I added walking as an exercise as soon as I was able. Now I run and cycle and have just started swimming again. I have worked my way up to a 21.1km (half marathon) distance running, and have just bought my 2nd bicycle for longer cycling challenges this year. My long term goal is to complete a full Ironman triathlon by the summer of 2019.

The weight loss came from my food intake. Exercise just added strength, endurance and cardiovascular health.
  • KValmera71
    KValmera71 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I threw my scale away! It became an addiction for me. I have NO idea how much I weigh now but I feel amazing, my clothes are fitting bigger. I will weigh in at some point I guess, lol
  • dksmith20110
    dksmith20110 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    SW: 386
    CW: 354
    GW: 185

Started about 10 weeks ago. Logging and tracking eating in MFP has been the only way I can do it, plus I weigh in every week at a wellness center to keep me accountable and on track. My health and desire to stay around and live a more full life without so many limitations is the motivation.
  • ladaphillips
    ladaphillips Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

New to the group. I've been using My fitness pal for a while. I started out at 420lbs. I have had lapband surgery in 2011 and currently weight 346lbs. It has not been easy with the band. Before the band, I never felt full, now I can eat a reasonable amount of food and feel satisfied. It's still a rough road and I struggle to loose every lb.
  • Charles1964
    Charles1964 Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was 405 lbs back in January.I lost a little weight in that month going down to 394.I broke my leg and shattered my knee 3 years ago.Never healed right.The main reason for losing the weight is to get around better.I'm down to 315 now.My goal is to be more than 210.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the group ,notice no chats since June. I'm 65 , married 41yrs, have 200 to lose. Haven't been heavy all my life, stated to gain in my 30. Just finish the Emily program, intense eating disorder rehab. Not a diet but to normalize food. Would love to hear your journey, I'm assuming with the lack of chat things aren't going great. Let's do it together!!!!!???? Gayle Minneapolis
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hey, and welcome!
    I'm at 436 today from a high of 467. I have yo-yo'd a LOT the last 2 years and have tried many paths - paleo, low carb, medifast, fasting, juicing....just about anything that the desperate try, I've tried.

I enrolled in a diabetes prevention plan through my work insurance and am working on the idea that foods are not good or bad, they just are. And I have returned to tracking so that I know how much I am eating and how they add up in calories and fat. I am shooting for a goal of 55 grams of fat and around 2200 calories, and I am seeing a loss. I am basically eating what I want, but adjusting and 'tweaking' the way I prepare foods so that they are better for me, and adding in more fresh fruits and veg.

My eventual goal is to get to a normal BMI, I am considering the sleeve gastrectomy, but not a lapband or bypass - the idea of completely re-arranging my innards in such an irreversible way or having an implant that could shift and require re-operating is too much for me. I am a medical records coder/nurse and see too many complications that are life long from those to even think about doing it myself. But the gastrectomy might help me get to a weight that would allow me to move a bit easier and be in less pain.

Good luck to you and just keep trying. If something makes sense, try it for a while. If it isn't something you can live with, then try something else. This is a long journey, so feel free to try different vehicles. Don't dwell on failures as finalities - they are bits of knowledge about yourself and what does and does not work for you personally at that point in your life.