Costume ideas

Options
opalle
opalle Posts: 234 Member
Since a lot of us are undecided for our costumes, I thought it would be a good to have a thread for costumes ideas and inspiration.

The boyfriend and I do something as a couple. We've done the superhero thing, disco, senior citizens and hillbillies so far.

I'm thinking maybe Princess Leia and Han Solo this year or Jack and Sally from a Nightmare before Christmas but still looking at other ideas.

What costumes has everyone else done?

What one was your favorite that you dressed up in the past?

Do you use store bought or do you make your own?

Any good ideas for those on a budget?

Also please share any tips you have for the challenges some of us face with trying to find a costume that looks good when carrying extra weight. (I'm an apple shape and won't be at my goal weight for a while. Empire waist costumes are great but I avoid anything that clings at the tummy or worse, bares it.)

Replies

• frichris
    frichris Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My husband and I were the white rabbit and red queen from Alice in wonderland last year. I took an old dress and glued red felt hearts on it then teased my hair and used red hair spray. Bought the bunny ears and large watch. The rest was all makeup. Easy and inexpensive.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    That's super cool, frichris!
  • crisalea
    crisalea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of Steampunk, but I'm not too creative. I have a few people who would help me make it, but if I start now it would hopefully be too big by Halloween.
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    crisalea wrote: »
    I like the idea of Steampunk, but I'm not too creative. I have a few people who would help me make it, but if I start now it would hopefully be too big by Halloween.
    Not if you start on the details now and add them onto the base closer to the date.

• HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Mine will depend on what size I am and what fits. My friend's birthday is on 10/30 and she wants to have our derby team go skating in costume and then drink after. I'll probably wear the Snow White running costume I wore for the Wine & Dine half last year! ... For other Halloween stuff I may be a vampire slayer. ;)
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    My friend wants to have our derby team go skating in costume and then drink after.
    You're on a roller derby team?! That's so cool. Also.. Snow White the Vampyr Slayer could be epic. Just sayin'.

• vadersaysno
    vadersaysno Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    frichris wrote: »
    My husband and I were the white rabbit and red queen from Alice in wonderland last year. I took an old dress and glued red felt hearts on it then teased my hair and used red hair spray. Bought the bunny ears and large watch. The rest was all makeup. Easy and inexpensive.

That's really cool. One year I was the white rabbit and wife was Cheshire Cat.... a group of us went out another time as the Alice In Wonderland crew, but I got sucked in to being Alice. LOL
  • ChristieisReady
    edited July 2015
    Options
    One year I was the white rabbit and wife was Cheshire Cat.... a group of us went out another time as the Alice In Wonderland crew, but I got sucked in to being Alice. LOL

Dude, suckered nothing, that's just epic.

My husband and I have been Trillian and Arthur from Hitchhiker's Guide, the Joker and Harley Quinn, the Devil and the Devil's Advocate, Wolverine and Emma Frost (part of a group costume) and Countess and Count von Dracula. And probably a few others that I've forgotten- a lot of Halloweens ended up a bit hazy. >:)
  • 77irises
    77irises Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Though Halloween is my favorite holiday, I haven't really dressed up since I was a kid. I love the steampunk idea, but have no idea where to start...time to research!!
  • opalle
    Options

My husband and I have been Trillian and Arthur from Hitchhiker's Guide, the Joker and Harley Quinn, the Devil and the Devil's Advocate, Wolverine and Emma Frost (part of a group costume) and Countess and Count von Dracula. And probably a few others that I've forgotten- a lot of Halloweens ended up a bit hazy. >:)

Love the Trillian & Arthur idea.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I make most of my own costumes, but I have a bit of an advantage, as a former professional corsetiere and costumer.

2014 Evil robot disguised as Victorian cupee doll (but disguise disintegrating)

2013 Lady Mechanika (steampunk comic)

2012 Marie Antoinette (not made by me - got my dress second hand from a local opera company -WOW!)

Some others I remember:
    Ninja Assassin
    Genie
    Walking dead zombie
    Steampunk Airship Captain
    Steampunk Explorer

Some I haven't done yet but would like to:
    Pirate (maybe steampunk, maybe no)
    Elven warrior
    Avenging angel (scary badass type with armour and swords)
    Orc
    Medusa
    Edgar Allen Poe
    Medieval knight

My husband doesn't really go for couples costumes, but if he did I'd love to do:

Gomez and Morticia Addams
    George and Judy Jetson
    Spy vs Spy
    11th doctor and the Tardis
    Dracula and Mina Harker (Gary Oldman film version)
    Fred and Lily Munster
    Steampunk Darth Vader and Stormtrooper
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I make most of my own costumes, but I have a bit of an advantage, as a former professional corsetiere and costumer.

first I am supremely jealous of your skills
    second, magic the gathering has some bad*** angels

AureliaScionoftheLegion.jpg
    url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=0CAYQjBwwAGoVChMIxc2OkP-CxwIVhkiSCh2wHAII&url=https%3A%2F%2Fd2npbuaakacvlz.cloudfront.net%2Fimages%2Fuploaded%2Flarge-present%2F2012%2F12%2F19%2Fmagic-the-gathering-poster-1355921262.JPG&ei=9Sq6VYX_KoaRyQSwuYhA&psig=AFQjCNGbWMl788ToEsO0bdi6R9l-EcAa7A&ust=1438350453848017
    url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=0CAYQjBwwAGoVChMIj-uKoP-CxwIVFhaSCh2r8QVs&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn2-b.examiner.com%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fstyles%2Farticle_large%2Fhash%2F4e%2Fb8%2F4eb8134ecf5b597ab90d5d75ecccc26c.jpg%3Fitok%3Dhc0_35RU&ei=Fyu6Vc-DDJasyASr45fgBg&psig=AFQjCNEStPn_BXMLi3HpdxPXw3cKRNQXkA&ust=1438350487327438
    Kaalia-of-the-Vast.png
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=0CAYQjBwwAGoVChMIxc2OkP-CxwIVhkiSCh2wHAII&url=https%3A%2F%2Fd2npbuaakacvlz.cloudfront.net%2Fimages%2Fuploaded%2Flarge-present%2F2012%2F12%2F19%2Fmagic-the-gathering-poster-1355921262.JPG&ei=9Sq6VYX_KoaRyQSwuYhA&psig=AFQjCNGbWMl788ToEsO0bdi6R9l-EcAa7A&ust=1438350453848017
    url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=0CAYQjBwwAGoVChMIj-uKoP-CxwIVFhaSCh2r8QVs&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn2-b.examiner.com%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fstyles%2Farticle_large%2Fhash%2F4e%2Fb8%2F4eb8134ecf5b597ab90d5d75ecccc26c.jpg%3Fitok%3Dhc0_35RU&ei=Fyu6Vc-DDJasyASr45fgBg&psig=AFQjCNEStPn_BXMLi3HpdxPXw3cKRNQXkA&ust=1438350487327438
    Kaalia-of-the-Vast.png

Yay! Another nerd!

My inspiration was actually Serra Angel, but Kaalia looks pretty wicked. I haven't played in a (long, long) while, so I don't really know any cards past about 1999.
  • opalle
    Options
    @MakePeasNotWar

Those are all awesome ideas. I was thinking Medusa would be a fun one too.

My guy is a really good sport so and has gotten more and more into Halloween every year we've been together so that's why I love doing couple themes - he lets me. Morticia and Gomez have been on the idea plate for years.

(Only execption was when I suggested Rocky Horror picture show. I guess Dr. Frank N. Furter is where he draws the line.)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    https://img1.etsystatic.com/003/1/5873598/il_fullxfull.380290207_7sk8.jpg

I'd love to find something like this. It works well for those of us who have some more hip/thigh/butt. But I don't know if I'll really be going out for samhain, or staying in with family.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

Kaalia-of-the-Vast.png

Yay! Another nerd!

My inspiration was actually Serra Angel, but Kaalia looks pretty wicked. I haven't played in a (long, long) while, so I don't really know any cards past about 1999.

I've been a fan of the art. I play here and there casualy
    Aurelia was my commander for EDh/Commander
    but I think if I I ever do a Con, Lilliana will be my go to

they are going thru an origins set right now. so that's cool
  • JamieD328
    JamieD328 Posts: 976 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I painted my face like a sugar skull a couple of years ago, and last year I was Abby Scuito from NCIS.

I've always liked the idea of being Zatana (DC Comics), but not really comfortable enough with myself to do the Fish nets and no pants or skirt. And I've always thought it would be cool to be little red riding hood, but with fur and claws on my hands and feet, and some creepy yellow contacts and fangs, as if she were a werewolf.
  • ChristieisReady
    Options
    I should do Zatana- my legs are the only part of my body that happily cooperates with wight-loss. Hmmmm.....
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    JamieD328 wrote: »
    I painted my face like a sugar skull a couple of years ago, and last year I was Abby Scuito from NCIS.

I've always liked the idea of being Zatana (DC Comics), but not really comfortable enough with myself to do the Fish nets and no pants or skirt. And I've always thought it would be cool to be little red riding hood, but with fur and claws on my hands and feet, and some creepy yellow contacts and fangs, as if she were a werewolf.

A friend did a LRRH like that, it was pretty awesome, and she said it was warm with the fur, cool without. I think she had a backup for it being too hot.
  • wildrosewood
    wildrosewood Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm thinking I'll dress as a monarch butterfly - I found a butterfly wing tutorial on youtube that uses garbage bags. It actually looks really nice. Right now the plan is to TRY to make them, and if the attempt totally fails, I guess I'll start over at square 1.