Morning blood sugar reading getting worse

Options
Thurley160
Thurley160 Posts: 21 Member
Feeling a bit disheartened... Following LCHF for 2 weeks now and the good progress is 10 lbs lost and my post meal blood sugar in the afternoon and the evenings has been steadily declining (was 81 last night after dinner!!!) but my fasting sugar has only gotten worse (in the mid-150s now) and I have zero idea why. My exercise is primarily walking ~3 miles per day. My blood ketone level is hovers around 1.0. Any ideas? I've been scouring the internet for clues and other than possibly the Dawn Phenomenon (which I'm not sure is the issue), I'm coming up empty. I still plan to keep eating this way as I feel incredible otherwise. Thoughts?

Replies

• Redztime2shine
    Redztime2shine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've read that it could take 4-6 weeks (some sooner and some longer) to become fully KA (keto-adapted) fat burner instead of a sugar burner.

I do believe that while you are a sugar burner you are going to have more sugar in your blood, but when you become fully KA you should see a drop in your fasting glucose levels.

Maybe one of the more experienced folks will chime in and give you some more answers.

Good luck,
    Red

• psenarighi
    psenarighi Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had the same question myself a couple weeks ago. I came up with the same Dawn issue as the only thing I could find.

I was doing so much changing and tweaking of my diet at that time and so I'm not sure if it was the Keto flu, the inclusion of the MCT oil or I really got my protein in check.

I'll check mine tomorrow and post how it is. Either way you should just remember that this may take time like the poster above me says. So keep at it make tweaks to what your doing and enjoy the changes...
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I was told by a doctor that this happens as we lose fat the cells release stored sugar. He told me to continue what I was doing and to stop measuring my blood glucose. My A1c went from 13 to 5.8 within months.
  • Thurley160
    Options
    Thank you all! I will keep plugging along then. I will tell myself it's all my fat cells dumping sugar as well, I like it! ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There was a whole discussion on this in the other low carb group I'm in, about the dawn phenomenon. I'm sorry to say I didn't pay attention to the details of the discussion, but it has to do with the natural cycles of insulin, blood sugar, and what is titled the dawn phenomenon. high fasting numbers in the morning while adjusting are normal, and not as concerning as if those numbers were higher across the board. Might be worth checking out that post in the other group. Let me know if you need the group link to join.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Dawn phenomenon is triggered by cortisol release (pulsatile/spike)
    Somogyi effect is rebound hyperglycemia from overcompensation from too much growth hormone release during sleep
  • Thurley160
    Options
    I'm going to add in intense exercise and see if that helps at all, as I've mostly just been focused on walking while my body adjusted to this way of eating. I suspect just losing weight in general as part of this will help as well.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thurley160 wrote: »
    Feeling a bit disheartened... Following LCHF for 2 weeks now and the good progress is 10 lbs lost and my post meal blood sugar in the afternoon and the evenings has been steadily declining (was 81 last night after dinner!!!) but my fasting sugar has only gotten worse (in the mid-150s now) and I have zero idea why. My exercise is primarily walking ~3 miles per day. My blood ketone level is hovers around 1.0. Any ideas? I've been scouring the internet for clues and other than possibly the Dawn Phenomenon (which I'm not sure is the issue), I'm coming up empty. I still plan to keep eating this way as I feel incredible otherwise. Thoughts?

Mine suddenly blipped really high (50 pts higher than normal, morning numbers) earlier this week. It's finally coming back down. I don't eat very many carbs but I also noticed a sweet taste as I often do when it's high. I have no idea why. My carb count was normal (20-40 net) and I think it must have been stress or physical (husband was very sick but I wasn't that bad at all, just a summer cold). I've been eating the same way but it's coming down so ??? Go figure.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    I was told by a doctor that this happens as we lose fat the cells release stored sugar. He told me to continue what I was doing and to stop measuring my blood glucose. My A1c went from 13 to 5.8 within months.

Huh! Now that's interesting! Cause it was after a plateau and in two days I had lost two pounds! I bet that's it! How weird!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Mine goes up if I eat a lot in the evening - everytime. I was sancky and pms-y last night so I ate a bunch of macadamias, shredded coconut, and chocolate chips at 10:30 last night. It brought my calorie total waaay up for the day.

This morning my ketones went down to small and my fasting blood glucose went up to 5.4, whereas it had been in the 4's for the last week or two. Scale was up 1 lb.

I don't know if it is a stretched stomach or what, but if I add a bunch of calorie in the evening, even if I stay in ketosis with carbs under 50g, my FBG goes up. Sometimes it jumps back into prediabetes but usually it just jumps to the high end of normal.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Yeah, that's because your blood can't get rid of all the excess sugar. When that happens to me I cut carbs drastically for a few days (back to induction). I think the important thing is to keep monitoring and keep on top of it. I wish MFP had a specific place to log blood sugar levels.
  • edellaSut
    edellaSut Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you eat too much protein late in the day, the excess will be converted to sugar and stored. The time period is as much as 5hours, not the standard 2. Thats why intermittent fasting is useful, as it limits the time you are eating. BTW, there isn't an induction phase for keto eating. You can't work your way up to more carbs! We are mostly eaying this way for permanent health improvement, not to eat more carbage again. Its wrong to say that any of this stuff will 'reverse your diabetes' -- it just helps to remove the bad effects of eating all the junk. But your pancreas has a lot less leeway now. That's why we say that keto is a life change, not something you do just for a while
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Sure there is. In my KETO plan. I think of induction as under 20 carbs for clarification, as most low carb plans use. I can stay in heavy ketosis sometimes with up to 60 (if that includes slow carbs). So I don't see how you can there is no such thing as induction or going back to induction. Maybe not to you. But to me, I live at 40-60 total carbs (20-40 net). Induction means I cut the carbs roughly in half for a few days/weeks. Till my blood sugar improves.

As far as eating protein late at night, that can actually help prevent the dawn phenom and higher am numbers (my doc suggested a handful of almonds before bed).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Walgreens Healthy Rewards section has a place to track blood sugar and blood pressure, but I'm not sure if you'd want them having all that data...