Hello - Just started 5/2 - Now 3 Fast days done! Fasting friends?

Options
Salkeela
Salkeela Posts: 367 Member
Hello there every-one!

I've sent out a couple of friend requests to folk doing the 5/2 Fast Diet - and am also happy for others to send me friend requests (please mention this group - thanks).

I've listened to the Audio book on the diet and watched the BBC programme last year.

So, I'm getting going now and have done 3 fast days to date... with remarkably little problem actually. I had been doing the intermittant fasting window thing with my eating window later in the day, so now on my fast days I also eat in the evening, and this is really quite simple to achieve.

I like that when saying "no" to myself on the fast days, I can now say, "tomorrow" rather than feel constantly restricted.

My own situation with my health (I have ME which means I can't be physically active) means that my maintenance level is very little above my BMR, so I'm not aiming for a rapid weight loss.

I'm currently within healthy BMI range, so really I'm just aiming for healthy eating, maintenance and a bit of loss as a bonus! :smile: (I'd prefer to be lower in the range :wink: )

Perhaps the diet may also help my condition, who knows?

Anyway this is just to say hello... I've no doubt I'll have a few questions in due course!

Replies

• Salkeela
    Options
    So I'm on my fourth Fasting Day today.

My youngest daughter is also doing this, though she finds she gets to lunch time and she really just HAS to eat. So she's just munched through a plate of salad with cheese & nuts..... She then doesn't eat in the evening.

I, however, prefer to save most of my allowance for a meal in the evening.

So I've just had a coffee (okay with a bit of milk as I hate to give that up) and half an apple.

Going to distract myself now for a few hours and then dinner.

Happy to get friend requests from anyone doing this too.

• Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just did my first day of fasting so I will add you if that's OK?
  • lanark1982
    lanark1982 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting this week. So today is my first fast day. Send buddy requests if you like :)
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Hello there Annieapple12 and lanark1982 - nice to meet you and thanks for the friend requests...

Today was a fast day for me, and in truth I don't find the fast days the difficult bit...it's the next days eating more again, and THEN suddenly I'm proper hungry... about 4pm is the worst time for me.

So how are you finding it so far?
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Annie - how do you get your diary to have different goals on different days?
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    @Salkeela I don't ever complete my day/diary in MFP then I don't have to see the message that I'm eating too little... blah, blah, blah! Yesterday was Fast Day #84 for me - after almost a year, it really does get easier! I look forward to my fast days since I don't ever have to think about food. I have my (huge) mug of tea in the morning, an apple for lunch and then I have almost 400 calories to eat for dinner. Most days I end with less than 400; some days, like yesterday, are just over 500.
  • Lisiz
    Lisiz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've just started back in the 5:2 and I find the days after fasting the trickiest too. I do find I fare better holding off to have "breakfast" even on non-fast days - apart from it making me want to eat everything all day, food first thing makes me a bit queasy. A cup of coffee with a generous splash of milk and a huge mug of 3-ginger tea will easily keep me going until 10/10:30.
  • bethhjanee
    bethhjanee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Started this diet this week! tried it a few years ago but didn't really give it a chance. Feel free to add me :)
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Today is day FD # 6 ... still coping well. :)
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hello just did my first fast day! I am also looking for friends. My diary is open :smile:
  • Salkeela
    Options
    Hi Samko - I've accepted your friend request. I think this 5/2 lark is a great way of reducing calories per week. With restricting every day it is so easy to get frustrated, but with 5/2 we have days when we can slightly relax that tight hold, and have a glass of cider or whatever without feeling we've gone off the rails! :smile:
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I have just started this week on the 5:2 although I am eating 700-800 calories on my fasting days as I get too lightheaded when I go under that. My normal days are 1300 calories. I would like some friends for supporting and sharing food ideas. Feel free to add me :)
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    carom wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I have just started this week on the 5:2 although I am eating 700-800 calories on my fasting days as I get too lightheaded when I go under that. My normal days are 1300 calories. I would like some friends for supporting and sharing food ideas. Feel free to add me :)

When dizzy, cold or cramps you need electrolytes, especially salt. When fasting and drinking lots of fluids, you flush out vital electrolytes. Usually we get them from foods. Or have a cup of broth. I also drink pickle juice. Try up electrolytes and experiment with food intake, maybe you can eat less on FD :)

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    @carom I agree with Foamroller.

Also look at the Foods you are eating on fast days. Are they foods like grain carbs or simple carbs that spike your blood sugar, leading to more Insulin, leading to low blood sugar..... If so, eating foods that keep your blood sugar and Insulin levels stable might also help. If you don't know...Google a food list with low glycemic index for examples.
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    @carom you also might want to make sure you're eating enough on non-fast days. 1300 seems very low - have you checked your BMR and TDEE? You need to eat at least your BMR and up to your TDEE. I've found that I need to eat closer to my TDEE the day before my fast; otherwise I get a little lightheaded and waayyy too hungry (hangry ;) ).
  • SSFCCF
    SSFCCF Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, today is my first fast day, went easier than I expected! I'm reading the book now. I really would like some friends to share and support. I've tried many diets and hope this is the one that I can fit with my life.
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! flumi_F, Karen_Disneyfan and Foamroller, I have looked up my TDEE and BMR to see and I should be eating a bit more. I feel nervous about it as any yo yo dieter out there will know, it is difficult to believe you can eat and lose weight :) I am DESPERATE to lose my first 10kilos and then pace myself, its just that I hate myself at this weight and need to see some losses before I can slow down a bit. Does anyone else feel this way? I have a lot to lose, about another 25-30 kilos at least. I have already lost 7 kilos so far.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Carom - one of the good things about 5:2 is you can enjoy your Food on non fast days (within reason) and be a 'normal' person :D . Depending on your stats and TDEE, you are getting a 15-25% weekly deficit with 2 x 500 + 5 x TDEE. A larger deficit can be unhealthy or set you up for failure. It might take some time, but try and enjoy both fast and non fast days. That will make this sustainable. I lost almost 30kg in about 14mth doing that. So believe it is possible! B)
  • naxeea
    naxeea Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi all I have been on 5:2 for over 2 months and really happy with the results :).Feel free to add me.My next FD is on Wednesday.I don't workout on my FD.
  • 2009jewellz
    2009jewellz Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello. Please friend me. Need someone chat with everyday.

I weigh 218, 5'6. Age 48. Female. What is my non fast day calories.?