Perfect Human Diet

Options
nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
I just watched this documentary, The Perfect Human Diet. I really laid bare that humans are designed to eat meat, veggies and fruit. No grains, no sugar and no dairy (sob). It really resounded with me and I want to get all of my loved ones to watch it and understand how they could eat better and improve their health... but I will control myself. Exhale.

If you want to watch an informative (if a tad dull) show about the human diet, how we were designed to eat, with a lot of evidence based discussions, I highly recommend The Perfect Human Diet.

Replies

• GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'll have to find it and watch it. Thanks!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Which humans did you mean, what about the traditional Masai diet for instance?
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

The humans they refer to are the paleolithic humans. The first humans which appeared around the time of the neanderthals. Before humans invented agriculture. It seemed to largely look at the earliest of Europeans. they did discus early Africans somewhat. The Masai were way to modern for this show. LOL

I found it really interesting. they showed ancient dexcavated dig sites of neaderthals and people and discussed how both appeared to have mostly (like a wolf) eaten meat based on the collagen make up of their bones. They said the main dietary difference between humans and neaderthals was fish - we ate it and they didn't.

I'm going on again. Stopping. Exhale. ;)

BTW, I'm in Alberta. Are you from the west?

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »

The humans they refer to are the paleolithic humans. The first humans which appeared around the time of the neanderthals. Before humans invented agriculture. It seemed to largely look at the earliest of Europeans. they did discus early Africans somewhat. The Masai were way to modern for this show. LOL

I found it really interesting. they showed ancient dexcavated dig sites of neaderthals and people and discussed how both appeared to have mostly (like a wolf) eaten meat based on the collagen make up of their bones. They said the main dietary difference between humans and neaderthals was fish - we ate it and they didn't.

I'm a Canadian ex-pat, living in the deep southern US. Originally from Alberta, born and raised for all but 1 yr of my first 20+.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options

This sounds a bit like the reasons I like some of the thoughts behind Paleo dieting.

Naturally occurring food. I'm not a grain eater. I do remember the smell of toast in the morning from my childhood. Funny what sticks with you. The scent of bacon coffee and toast

Morning defined

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I rather enjoyed that doc. I learned quite a bit from it.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Sounds interesting. Where can we watch it? Is it on youtube?
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »
    Sounds interesting. Where can we watch it? Is it on youtube?

If your library has access to Hoopla (library based system similar to Netflix , Kindle, and Audible.com rolled into one) it is available on there.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you have amazon prime, it's included in your instant streaming.

Edit: It used to be... now it's like $4.

Currently found free if you subscribe to Hulu Plus.
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was "spanked" by an archaeologist on the board who did not approve of the science behind the diet based on the paleolithic diet. I was told it was outdated but as far as I understand her, I was wrong about paleolithic man eating mostly meat. She said he ate everything including grains. I'm sure he ate a few but I stopped debating at that point - you know how some of those threads go. LOL

I was also told calling paleolithic man "man" was sexist. I don't think she liked me. :'(;)

Anyway, I thought I'd mention the science was questioned by an archaeologist so it may not be perfect. As a science teacher, I think old scinece is oftensound. Banting anyone? LOL ;)

Still a good show. I got mine from the library.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I was "spanked" by an archaeologist on the board who did not approve of the science behind the diet based on the paleolithic diet. I was told it was outdated but as far as I understand her, I was wrong about paleolithic man eating mostly meat. She said he ate everything including grains. I'm sure he ate a few but I stopped debating at that point - you know how some of those threads go. LOL

I do think Paleo has an unfortunate public image due to a name that may or may not be 100% accurate (I'm sure paleolithic man ate a variety of food, including grains)... but it amazes me when people will disregard or denigrate an otherwise extremely healthy and sustainable WOE due to semantics.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »

I do think Paleo has an unfortunate public image due to a name that may or may not be 100% accurate (I'm sure paleolithic man ate a variety of food, including grains)... but it amazes me when people will disregard or denigrate an otherwise extremely healthy and sustainable WOE due to semantics.

Exactly. Eat meat, vegetables, fruit...possibly some grains. How can that be bad in the grand scheme of things? People like to argue for arguments sake.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @nvsmomketo I'm in South Central BC (Okanagan), you know, the place where the Albertans all want to retire, lol. ;)
    Yeah, the word 'paleo' means so many different things these days when you are talking WOE. When I get a moment, I'll look up the doc. Thx
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    @nvsmomketo I'm in South Central BC (Okanagan), you know, the place where the Albertans all want to retire, lol. ;)
    [\quote]

:D LOL!