Office fitness ideas??

Options
PasPlus
PasPlus Posts: 31 Member
I was wondering if any of you would be able to share ideas for maintaining body tone or simply to not have to say you are completely sedentary when working in a office. Somehow staring at a screen, thinking a lot, walking to the coffee machine and hitting a keyboard does not maintain muscle or burn calories. I am, or at least feel like, a soft slug.

I have one of those tension rings that you squeeze with your legs but I am sure some of you have very creative/cheap ways of 'working out' in the office that we could all benefit from. Care to share?

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I don't know about in the office, but I walk 3-5k pretty much everyday on my lunch break.
  • Redztime2shine
    Redztime2shine Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a standing Treadmil desk and walk anywhere from 1 1/2 - 4 hours 5 days a week.

It started off by making a standing work station with boxes and would do squats or walking in place. Then I got an adjustable computer stand and then got a desk Treadmil.

Red

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I make sure I drink 8 cups of water and 2 cups of coffee at work, so that way, I have to get up and go to the bathroom many times during the day, to stretch myself out and have a little walk. I also try to get a walk in daily, but not at work.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I have an adjustable sit/stand desk, its not going to feel like a workout to stand up for parts of the day but it definitely helps prevent the complete sedentary "I just sat on my *kitten* for 8 hours straight" awful feeling and all the bad health effects that come from it.

I also have a stability ball that my old physical therapist *really* wanted me to sit on at my desk for 15 minutes at a time a few times a day. I hate the thing, probably just b/c I have a weak core and could really benefit from using it.

For me at least being in an office setting isn't about trying to find serious, or even moderate exertion, its about trying to be less of a soft slug, as you put it. And that's really just about simple things. Not sitting for as long at one time, standing more, taking regular breaks, take an extra lap around the office walking when you go to get water/coffee/go to the bathroom, that kind of thing. Additionally finding a stretching routine to keep loose, just stretching for a minute or two an hour as part of a little break, is a big deal for me. I'm at the computer a TON, so I do wrist stretches to prevent RSI/carpel tunnel, I take "posture breaks" where I make myself aware of my current posture, correct it to perfect posture, and if anything feels tight (back/neck/shoulders typically), I'll stretch them for a minute or two.

Nothing big (well, except for buying a standing desk for me was a pretty big investment), but lots and lots of little things throughout the day.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I work in "bathroom exercises." Every time I get up to go to the bathroom, I do some squats, some wall pushups, some arm circles, etc. If you do three sets of ten, you're looking at 30-60 seconds per exercise, some of which can be done while walking, etc. So just figure out some quick bodyweight stuff you can work in. If you pee a lot, one 10-count set each time is golden.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I used to do T-Tapp with some co-workers and we walked to videos and danced during lunch breaks. I also worked in a multi-story building and took the stairs whenever feasible. I used to climb 6 flights 3 xs per day at a fast pace to get my heart rate up. It usually went from 48 bpm to 121!
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    toadqueen wrote: »
    from 48 bpm

I'm very jealous :)

• toadqueen
    Options
    @radiii I am jealous too. That was back in 2009-2010 when I started eating keto and was exercising every day. I was so buff and cut! I've had some health issues following surgery in 2011 and then almost died in a car accident last year and am not yet cleared to exercise at all :(

I think anytime you use your body as resistance is the best (and cheapest) way to get and keep fit: squats, wall push-ups, stairs, lunges, etc. My co-workers saw the change in me (size 26-size 4) and they joined in.

Are you allowed or able to leave your office for lunch? Even after the surgery when I couldn't work out as hard as I would like to I used to take a 1/2 hour walk at lunch time.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    Options
    I am in bed all day when I am not traveling. Follow a good workout routine which will help you burn more through out the day. Think of how you can burn more calories with 23 hours of rest per day, not just when you work out.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Google 'chair yoga' and 'yoga for seniors' for some ideas that could be adapted to an office environment.
  • PasPlus
    PasPlus Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Some good ideas :) Has anyone used a stability ball or similar and noticed a difference in mid section tone?

I always use the stairs though I only need two flights at most each time, but it's better than nothing. Loved the coffee = bathroom concept - so very true. Another great reason to drink coffee. I force myself to climb to the top floor to earn each cup now :)

Toadqueen - how long did it take you to drop those sizes? Awesome achievement and surely took a lot of other work and dedication. I should add a circuit of my building via the stairs twice a day - up one side down the other.

Checked out chair yoga and tripped over chair-a-cise videos also - might be worth a go!

• toadqueen
    Options
    It took about 8 months in total to go from 26 to 4/6, maybe a little less. I didn't track it regularly and it was 6 years ago. I know the 26-"large" was really quick maybe just a couple of months. I wore baggy clothes for a while and friends gave me clothes. I started the journey in August 2009 and finished in May 2010. I was wearing size 6 in Mar 2010 and lost 10 lbs after that. I could fit in a 2 by May but didn't buy any. Currently in 8-10 but the 10's are very loose. I'm 10-15 lbs heavier now than Mar 2010 and finally wearing some of my "skinny" clothes again (just tops).